Applying for HPSP while in National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mae09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to anyone who can answer some questions for me! This is my first post on here, and I have been searching for awhile now, but I can't seem to find any specific answers that are current to this year.

I am currently serving in the PA Army National Guard and I am starting my first year of Veterinary School this fall at Upenn. I am looking into the HPSP but I need to sign a contract to get out of my contract with the National Guard before I can even apply.

I know things change over the years, and I am just looking for current information about using the Army to help pay for Veterinary School.

Firstly, has anyone else been in my position that they had to sign the DD 368 (Conditional Release) to get out of the National Guard in order to apply for the scholarship, and what was the stipulations in the contract if you didn't receive the scholarship in the end? How many people actually get the scholarship per year? I am talking with a recruiter, but being in the army for over 6 years now, I know to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Also is there any other opportunities for me instead of the HPSP? I know there was the STRAP program, AMMEDD SR, and ADSW/ADOS, but it looks like with budget cuts that these programs are not as relevant anymore, or they are only for Medical Students, not Veterinary Students.

Thank you in advance for any information, or links that I can get more up to date information about these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

The first question is are you enlisted or officer? If you are enlisted you could go to ING or you could try to go IRR in either case. You will most likely need to transfer out of the NG, there are no vacancies sloted for Veterinarians. The options would be to transfer to the Army Reserve. Since you have been accepted to Vet School you should speak with a Army AMEDD Recruiter they can assist you with the process. They can tell what Scholarships are currently available and what the board deadlines are. Don't work with a regular recruiter since it really isn't their lane.

While I understand what you are trying to do, I can’t think of a way to get it done…

1. You are correct, you cannot be in the NG and be awarded a HPSP scholarship

2. Unfortunately, the Army only offers 3-year scholarships which puts you in a Catch-22. The only way out of the Guard is to be accepted to the HPSP, however you need to be in vet school for a year before applying to the scholarship.

3. Should you be able to complete the first year of vet school while in the NG, here is the reality of the HPSP: We normally have ~150 applicants for 35 slots/year. The Selection Board is normally held in late Feb, or early March, so, if you do get selected you may not know to start the 368 until April of your first year of vet school.

You are welcome to PM me with any questions, I’m not a recruiter, so I have no vested interest in “selling” the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but have any applicants for HPSP heard anything?

Hi ifalloverstuff,

I haven't heard anything yet. I spoke to my recruiter last week, and he said no one is being notified of their board status until those selected have been accepted through the scrolls process. Has your recruiter said the same to you? Any information is much appreciated! Thanks

While I understand what you are trying to do, I can’t think of a way to get it done…

1. You are correct, you cannot be in the NG and be awarded a HPSP scholarship

2. Unfortunately, the Army only offers 3-year scholarships which puts you in a Catch-22. The only way out of the Guard is to be accepted to the HPSP, however you need to be in vet school for a year before applying to the scholarship.

3. Should you be able to complete the first year of vet school while in the NG, here is the reality of the HPSP: We normally have ~150 applicants for 35 slots/year. The Selection Board is normally held in late Feb, or early March, so, if you do get selected you may not know to start the 368 until April of your first year of vet school.

You are welcome to PM me with any questions, I’m not a recruiter, so I have no vested interest in “selling” the program.

Hi USArmyHPSP,

I actually had the same question, so now that I know that answer, what is the process going from Army Reserves to HPSP?

Very long story short, my situation is I am a MS1 ROTC cadet in my first semester of a second degree BSN program, the plan was to go through and get my DNP as a family NP at the same school I got my BS in Cell biology as a PreMed student, but several of the reasons I choose this plan fell through, most notably my ROTC scholarship fell through because the Army changed the age standards two weeks prior to my CPT submitting my application. Now I am over the age limit and it can not be waved (I'm 29). He said I can still contract, but just wouldn't receive a scholarship. The more I think about it, the less excited I am about paying $70K for a program I don't really need, I could go into a alternative entry masters or doctorate program. The only thing left holding be back from applying to a different program is my wife is a nursing student and still has 3 more semesters left, so I can't just change schools right now.

I've been talking to a NG recruiter who is (maybe unofficially) a part of the cadre at my ROTC program over the last 6 months while trying to figure out my best options for scholarships, and today I mentioned I was thinking about just applying to OCS for this winter/spring then applying for the HPSP scholarship for a program that starts summer/fall of 2017. He said that he is working with another person trying to do the same exact thing, that it is possible, and I could get into OCS no problem.

I know the reputation of recruiters and research I've done on my own contradicts what he is saying, so I am not sure if he is blowing smoke or not. Anyways, just looking for a outside option.

Thanks.

Also, after rereading I realize I said many things that probably created a lot of questions, but I didn't want to make this a 2,000 word post explaining the situation in great detail.

Hey Shawno19,

This is a forum for veterinarians/vet students to discuss topics so you may not get much traction here as a med student. There is a forum for Military Medicine on SDN which is fairly active and has a number of current and former active duty physicians across multiple branches who could give you better information. My apologies if you've already found that forum and posted as I don't read it everyday.