Applying for Osteopathic FM residency late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking for advice/perspective/thoughts about my situation - I'm very set on FM, it's my calling, definitely what I want to pursue. I have several audition rotations already set-up at osteopathic residency programs in the Fall.

Here's my predicament - I've already taken the step 2 PE (clinical exam) and passed, but will not have my step 2 written score until early September. Applications can be submitted for Osteo Residency on July 15th... I did not do well on step 1 and was hoping to do better on step 2, so should I wait to apply until AFTER I have my new score in the beginning of September? (about 2 months after applications opened up) or apply with my crappy step 1?

I guess my fear is that programs will only see my step 1 and put my application directly into the reject pile, whereas if I pass the first time around and do better on step 2, that will maybe increase my likelihood of more potential interviews? Also, my first audition rotation is in August - not sure how it will look if I rotate at a place before even submitting an application? Would that be out of the ordinary?

I know in hindsight I should take my step 2 earlier, but my schedule won't allow that. Thoughts?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm looking for advice/perspective/thoughts about my situation - I'm very set on FM, it's my calling, definitely what I want to pursue. I have several audition rotations already set-up at osteopathic residency programs in the Fall.

Here's my predicament - I've already taken the step 2 PE (clinical exam) and passed, but will not have my step 2 written score until early September. Applications can be submitted for Osteo Residency on July 15th... I did not do well on step 1 and was hoping to do better on step 2, so should I wait to apply until AFTER I have my new score in the beginning of September? (about 2 months after applications opened up) or apply with my crappy step 1?

I guess my fear is that programs will only see my step 1 and put my application directly into the reject pile, whereas if I pass the first time around and do better on step 2, that will maybe increase my likelihood of more potential interviews? Also, my first audition rotation is in August - not sure how it will look if I rotate at a place before even submitting an application? Would that be out of the ordinary?

I know in hindsight I should take my step 2 earlier, but my schedule won't allow that. Thoughts?? Thanks!

It's AOA FM, don't stress. I had classmates with a fail on part 1 who got pre-match offers. Go do your auditions and nail them and you'll be alright.

Reactions: 1 user