applying for PGY1 residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesphoques

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard that MOST people who apply for a residency are able to get one. I'm a student in Boston and would really like to stay here for my residency, HOWEVER, there are probably about 25ish position in the city but 2 MAJOR pharmacy schools- Northeastern and MCPHS Boston (not to mention URI, UConn, MCP-Worcestor/Manchester). I've done fairly well in school with a very consistent 3.2 GPA and have lots of experience in HIV research, both in the USA and abroad.... however very little actual pharmacy experience/pharmacy-organization activity. What would you all recommend to someone like me?? I was thinking of maybe looking into states/cities that are pumping out less graduates... or?? I know doing a residency is something very important to me. Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should apply to where you think would be the best fit for you and see where it takes you.

So I've heard that MOST people who apply for a residency are able to get one. I'm a student in Boston and would really like to stay here for my residency, HOWEVER, there are probably about 25ish position in the city but 2 MAJOR pharmacy schools- Northeastern and MCPHS Boston (not to mention URI, UConn, MCP-Worcestor/Manchester). I've done fairly well in school with a very consistent 3.2 GPA and have lots of experience in HIV research, both in the USA and abroad.... however very little actual pharmacy experience/pharmacy-organization activity. What would you all recommend to someone like me?? I was thinking of maybe looking into states/cities that are pumping out less graduates... or?? I know doing a residency is something very important to me. Thanks for any input

Im just a newbie in this forum and iinterested in residency after i graduate too. May I ask you when we apply to residency, do they count just pharmacy GPA or they combine undergraduate GPA too? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just pharmacy.