Applying for the 2014-2015 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwandopriam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know that Pharmcas is going to open for this cycle in the first week of June so I just wanted to start a forum for everyone applying.

I have everything set up for when Pharmcas opens all I have to do is get back the correction for my personal statement and my recommendations. The schools I am applying to at the beginning are LIU, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Science-Vermont, MCPHS and University of New England.

Feel free to comment and just discuss with everyone throughout the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Im in a similar situation as you. Im done with my personal statement, but I still need to do a few corrections. Im missing just 1 letter of recommendation, but I can get it before July. Now we gotta wait until they open PharmCAS, then the interview and after that (hopefully) we will start P1 in Fall of 2015 :)

Hopefully!! I started to apply to graduate school for Biology but then I changed my mind so I have to ask my professors if they could submit it to pharmcas but that shouldn't be a problem I think. I've been reading a lot about the schools I'm applying to and I am excited about possibly going to any of them. If you don't mind me asking do you have a list of schools you want to apply to

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the Pharmcas application open different for everyone? I got an e-mail from my school that said Pharmcas and the supplemental application will be expected to open July 14th.

Also, what can I finish before Pharmcas opens? Do I just make a general cover letter? Or are there specific things I need to mention in them?

Pharmcas opens the same for everyone. Schools that have supplemental application opens on different days. Pharmcas is the general application that gets sent to every school.

Before pharmcas opens you can finish your personal statement, have a list of schools you want to apply to, ask professors or employers for recommendation. You could also have your transcript on hand so you can fill out your grades on pharmcas when it opens

I see I guess I should start on my cover letter.
I plan on applying to the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy and Texas A&M's School of Pharmacy.
Do you guys think that asking a high school teacher would be okay for a letter of recommendation? I've had her for 3 years (Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II) so she taught me college level courses technically. I'm only considering asking her because I've only had 1 year of college and I didn't really build a strong enough relationship with my professors.

I don't think schools ask for a cover letter. It's more of a statement discussing why pharmacy. And I don't see anything wrong with asking a high school teacher seeing that you only have one year of college.

My mistake I meant personal statement not cover letter. Okay great.

I see I guess I should start on my cover letter.
I plan on applying to the Texas Tech School of Pharmacy and Texas A&M's School of Pharmacy.
Do you guys think that asking a high school teacher would be okay for a letter of recommendation? I've had her for 3 years (Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II) so she taught me college level courses technically. I'm only considering asking her because I've only had 1 year of college and I didn't really build a strong enough relationship with my professors.

If you take a look at Texas Tech's Pharmcas page: http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/503

you'll notice they don't specifically say they won't take a high school teacher's LOR.
"We prefer LOR's from people who know you well (non-family). A science and/or a math professor is preferred as well as a pharmacist."
I'd say... it'd be okay. Though, if it's possible to get to know a professor thoroughly before the application deadline, that might be better.

Does the 2014-2015 cycle still start in mid-June? I was told that it would likely start in mid-July and saw further confirmation of that on the PharmCAS FB page.

Does the 2014-2015 cycle still start in mid-June? I was told that it would likely start in mid-July and saw further confirmation of that on the PharmCAS FB page.

Yeah it opens in mid-July. I thought it was going to open in June like it did last cycle so that was my mistake

Hi everyone, I know that Pharmcas is going to open for this cycle in the first week of June so I just wanted to start a forum for everyone applying.

I have everything set up for when Pharmcas opens all I have to do is get back the correction for my personal statement and my recommendations. The schools I am applying to at the beginning are LIU, Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Science-Vermont, MCPHS and University of New England.

Feel free to comment and just discuss with everyone throughout the application process.

Hello,
was wondering if this forum could help me on giving advice. I will be finishing my masters in biomedical science next year before applying for fall 2015 seating for pharmacy. I wanted to know when the Pharmcas opens up and when I should start collecting letters of rec and transcripts also. Also, what is a good or overall impressive score to get on PCAT as i will take it July 18th. Also, I am looking to apply to PCOM, Notre Dame in MD, College Park, Boston, and Rutgers. And does it matter if I have worked in healthcare settings but not specifically as a pharmacy tech?

Hello,
was wondering if this forum could help me on giving advice. I will be finishing my masters in biomedical science next year before applying for fall 2015 seating for pharmacy. I wanted to know when the Pharmcas opens up

check the PharmCAS website.

and when I should start collecting letters of rec and transcripts also.

now is the time for you to ask people for LORs. When you ready to submit your application, let your LOR writers know that PharmCAS is going to send emails to them for instruction how to send the LORs online.

Also, what is a good or overall impressive score to get on PCAT as i will take it July 18th.

imho good ~ 70's; better ~ 80's; excellent 90's. With your background, I think it is easy to get a great score. The PCAT is not difficult.

Also, I am looking to apply to PCOM, Notre Dame in MD, College Park, Boston, and Rutgers. And does it matter if I have worked in healthcare settings but not specifically as a pharmacy tech?

many schools do not care if you have pharmacy experience or not. But call and speak to a counselor there at the schools you are applying to for more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
was wondering if this forum could help me on giving advice. I will be finishing my masters in biomedical science next year before applying for fall 2015 seating for pharmacy. I wanted to know when the Pharmcas opens up and when I should start collecting letters of rec and transcripts also. Also, what is a good or overall impressive score to get on PCAT as i will take it July 18th. Also, I am looking to apply to PCOM, Notre Dame in MD, College Park, Boston, and Rutgers. And does it matter if I have worked in healthcare settings but not specifically as a pharmacy tech?

Pharmcas opens in mid-July this year. You could start collecting letters of rec and your transcripts now. I already have them and now I'm just waiting for Pharmcas to open. When it comes to PCAT score, each school has a minimum score or they look at so you should look at the schools you want to apply to and see the scores. I do not think it matters what part of the healthcare field you have experience in. Students are accepted without any pharmacy experience so I do not think it matters.

Yes the next application cycle opens on July 14th. I talked to someone at PharmCAS about this specifically

Yes the next application cycle opens on July 14th. I talked to someone at PharmCAS about this specifically
did they give you any reason why they decided to delay it by 1 and a half months this cycle? :whistle:

Hey guys,

I just recently heard about this website and decided to give it a shot. I will also be applying for the 2014-2015 cycle. Looking forward to learning from you all.

PS - Is there a specific thread on this forum that gives feedback on resumes? I was wondering because I am anxious about how competitive my resume is. Competition for pharmacy schools seems to be getting higher every year.

I am curious. Of those of you that have written your personal statement, do you have a hook in it and did you basically just talk about why pharmacy for you and who you are? I have written my PS but not sure what kind of scope I should provide in the PS. I fell like I need more a of wow factor, yet I feel like my PS is a well rounded statement of who I am and why I want to be a pharmacists and what kind of pharmacist I hope to be. I guess, my concern is, will I stand out enough to get that interview.

Lol this might be a stupid question but How did you know what to put in your personal statement with pharmcas not being opened yet? in other words how did you know which questions to answer, etc?

thanks in advance

I'm applying to pharm school in like a year or so and was wondering what schools everyone is interested/applying to….

is anyone applying to schools in chicago or in oregon??!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE APPLYING :)

Lol this might be a stupid question but How did you know what to put in your personal statement with pharmcas not being opened yet? in other words how did you know which questions to answer, etc?

thanks in advance

Well they typically use a generic prompt that doesn't really vary too much from year to year. That is what I believe.

Hey guys,

I just recently heard about this website and decided to give it a shot. I will also be applying for the 2014-2015 cycle. Looking forward to learning from you all.

PS - Is there a specific thread on this forum that gives feedback on resumes? I was wondering because I am anxious about how competitive my resume is. Competition for pharmacy schools seems to be getting higher every year.

Competition is getting lower every year. Where have you been?

I don't think schools ask for a cover letter. It's more of a statement discussing why pharmacy. And I don't see anything wrong with asking a high school teacher seeing that you only have one year of college.

the reason you ask a LOR from a professor/teacher is for your academic performance. You are in college now, thus a LOR from a college professor would be more appropriate. You still have some time from now until next year to build relationship with your professor.

you are right that you do not need a cover letter. Just your personal statement/essay for PharmCAS.

Word of advice...before you start your elaborate ps realize there is a maximum character in place for that section. I wrote a beautiful ps and went to put it into pharmcas and it was too long. In ps section I did address some weak areas and hardships and made it into an achievement/positive and then took everything and related it to why it strengthened me to be a future pharmacist in the community. Can't just say it made me stronger you have to explain why it made you stronger. Good luck with this section...... Also, LOR requirements are different depending on what college you are applying too. Some require atleast 1 science professor. Usually a professor is not considered high school level. Best bet is to contact the school you're interested in and find out if that will count towards the required professor lor or just a personal lor. I believe you can have 4 lor request through pharmcas. I did 2 professors, 1 to do with organization, 1 from employer. It is great that you have a hard copy lor but pharmcas sends a lor request to your person and they do it electronically. So,talking to a prospective lor professor and getting their email is what you need for pharmcas. I recommend doing everything as early as possible seat fill up. I talk to so many people who did not and are now on waitlists even though their applications are to die for. Good luck in your endeavors.

Another advice that worked in my favor was.... I looked at the school I wanted and found out when an open house meet and greet was and attended. Contacts and networking is very important. (Don't take your parents comments were made about those individuals)People of importance, that I talked to, I got their business cards and emailed them about how it was a pleasure to speak with them ect. This helped because during my actual interview the Dean of admission walked into the group and remembered me from the open house. Also, ask about the process of how they interview. I was informed that it would be a group infosession...interviews..and I had to take a written essay. Thank goodness I asked and was able to prepare for that essay. Good luck everyone!!!

VA: 25
RC: 25
QA: 4:(
Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.

VA: 25
RC: 25
QA: 4:(

Chem:97
bio: 90
Comp: 54

GPA-3.5
Planning on applying to Texas Tech and U of Houston. Should I retake. I already signed up for September PCAT.

Composite: avg
+
Lo lo va/rc/qa

-------------

Retake :)

Hey quick question,
who should my reference address the letter to??
Sir/madam?

With the Letter of Recommendations, can I submit my application before they are received, as long as I put my references in?

But I can't change anything right? So once I submit, I can't edit my references or add one?

you can edit your preference: you can add or delete preferences. You can add more preference anytime, even after you already submit your PharmCAS application. You can also delete preference anytime, but once your preferences already submit LORs and PharmCAS already sends the LORs out to schools, there is no way to take them back.

These are questions that are answered in the Q&A/Instruction for filling out the PharmCAS. When you are in your PharmCAS account, look on the left. It is there on the upper left column.

you can edit your preference: you can add or delete preferences. You can add more preference anytime, even after you already submit your PharmCAS application. You can also delete preference anytime, but once your preferences already submit LORs and PharmCAS already sends the LORs out to schools, there is no way to take them back.

These are questions that are answered in the Q&A/Instruction for filling out the PharmCAS. When you are in your PharmCAS account, look on the left. It is there on the upper left column.
Thanks! Yes I read the pharmcas Q+A, I just like to double check :)

Thanks! Yes I read the pharmcas Q+A, I just like to double check :)

no need to double check. PharmCAS is THE source for these info/questions. Call them directly if you have any more questions regarding PharmCAS application :)

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone had trouble submitting their applications? I tried to submit but it says that my application is incomplete even though the checklist marks everything complete.

When I save my personal essay, it doesn't save the paragraph indentation. Is that fine?

has anyone's transcript been received by pharmcas? it says it usually takes a week but its been a little over a week for me and i havent seen any updates

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone's transcript been received by pharmcas? it says it usually takes a week but its been a little over a week for me and i havent seen any updates

Keep in mind that PharmCAS might take up to 5 wks to process/verify/post/update your transcripts. To know if PharmCAS has actually received your transcripts, call to check that with them.

Yeah I feel like it is taking a while for the transcript to get in there o_O

mine say they were received yesterday (they were mailed out last friday). pretty quick, i was expecting 1-2 weeks...

Mine also says it was received yesterday and it was mailed out last Thursday

hi guys im trying to print out transcript request form and mail them to my college.
but just curious, how will they charge me? after i mail them to college then do i just wait until they contact me?

are there any benefits of sending in an official transcript w/evaluation? will the school i apply to see it? (my ochem 2 professor wrote a brief paragraph about my performance.. and its positive!) but cost an extra $5.00