applying from abroad... how to schedule interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zen006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've looked at several threads about people applying while being abroad. While there are mixed reviews, people have verified that it can be done.

I was wondering if I should email schools BEFORE I get an interview and tell them about my situation, and that I will be back in the states for a specific month (december)

Or should I only ask to schedule my interview in December AFTER I get an interview invite.

It'd be great if I could to the latter. I'd be grateful to get any insights at all!

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I've looked at several threads about people applying while being abroad. While there are mixed reviews, people have verified that it can be done.

I was wondering if I should email schools BEFORE I get an interview and tell them about my situation, and that I will be back in the states for a specific month (december)

Or should I only ask to schedule my interview in December AFTER I get an interview invite.

It'd be great if I could to the latter. I'd be grateful to get any insights at all!

Thanks in advance :)

Wait for a while. See if you get interviews. Schedule them in December. Be aware though that there are less interview dates in December for many schools as the offices usually shut down during the holiday season. When it's about two months out, I would e-mail schools that haven't rejected or offered you an II and let them know about your travel dates. Once again, I hope you will be there for the whole month of December and not just the weeks around the holiday season.

I applied from Asia, but I was able to be a little flexible with my dates. I came back in October, did a couple interviews. Got a couple more II's after that and ended up coming back in January to do another one for like two days. That one was my only acceptance. Not all schools were 100% flexible so you may have to bite the bullet on a couple and either decline them (I declined two) or fly back when they need you to.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I appreciate it so much! I will wait on it, and yes I will be home all December, so hopefully things won't be closed down the first couple of weeks!

:)