Applying in July Vs. June--Will it make a big difference??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenixi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find my earlier post on the same subject and was going a little paranoid so bear with me. I was wondering how much of a disadvantage it will be to apply in July instead of June this year.

One of my pre-reqs is set to finish at the end of June (so I could apply in July). However, I could try to take the same course at a different school and though it will mean a long drive and more inconveniene, it will enable me to finish at the end of May (thus I could apply in June).

So: will one month make a huge difference in terms of admissions to med school?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to have finished your coursework to apply. Submit your primary as soon as AMCAS, AACOMAS opens. All you need is your PS, transcripts, and your ECs logged.

Try to have your application (secondary, supplemental essays, LORs, MCAT) complete by early August if possible. For most schools that still puts you in the running for the first wave of interviews.

Coursework only needs to be completed by the time of matriculation, not application.

I agree with NTF.

OP, if your prereq class will be done by the end of June, you should simply list the class on AMCAS as "in progress." That way, all the schools will know that you're taking it even though your grade won't be in yet. Also, if you feel like it's important to make sure the med schools have that particular grade, all you have to do is send them an update later in the summer. You could even mention it on your secondaries, which you will start receiving in July if you apply in early June.

Best of luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone here. Just list it as "in progress" and apply as early as possible. It really does give an advantage to get it in as early as possible.

For some schools it won't make a tremendous difference. At other schools, like BU for instance, they definitely hand out interviews (along with rejections) in order of secondary completion date.

Everyone is right, fill it out early. And start working on those secondary essays too.