DO Applying in May, 3.4cGPA and 3.0sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elia22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've posted on here quite often asking for advice but now it is finally time that I will be applying. I am shooting for D.O. since it seems to be more in my reach. I would like some honest advice about my chances and what schools would be my best bet

** Sorry this might be long but if anyone has time to give some feedback I would be really grateful! I am open to going to ANY D.O. school in the country. My first choice states are Texas and New York.

Tentatively, cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA is ~3.0. This is low because I made C's in both orgo1 and 2 and a C+ in the labs (i hated orgo) but everything else was A's and B's as far as sciences.

Major: Marketing, Minor: biology
MCAT: took it once but I did awful and will be re-taking in January.

Experience:
-Have been working 2 years as a medical scribe in the ER
-Worked about 1.5 years as a piano teacher at a music school
-1 year as a service clerk at Walgreen's

Volunteer:
-6 months at Texas Children's Hospital
-6 months at a public hospital in Houston
-1 week medical brigade in Honduras
-Volunteer teacher in Italy (taught italian children English for 6 weeks)
-Volunteer teacher at a high school for 6 months teaching finance

School stuff:
-Studied international marketing while abroad in France
-Joined the sales program on campus and received ~180 hours of live sales training (really helped with communication and interpersonal skills)
-VP and secretary of the Persian Society
-Treasurer of Be the Match (bone marrow transplant organization)

Research:
-Presented physics research about the big bang at undergraduate research day
-Participated in a clinical trial about a disease called lymphangioleiomyomatosis (i know wtf)

Skills: bilingual, female, Texas resident

Letters: will have 1 from a pediatric surgeon, 1 from a doctor that I scribe for, 2 physics professors, 1 from my sales professor

Members don't see this ad.

Need to bring up that sGPA by retaking a few Cs... 26+ mcat should get you a DO acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Kill your MCAT and write a thoughtful personal statement. Your extracurriculars are awesome and if you do well on the MCAT, you will be fine. Apply broadly and have realistic expectations for MD and DO acceptances.