applying into cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecided8787

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I am finishing up my PGY2 year at a university program and was still making up my mind on what to specialize in until this previous month on a cardiology rotation which I actually really enjoyed. I know applications go out soon but what do you think my chances are at matching into cardiology fellowship with limited research (just one cards related case report). I am an AMG and can get a pretty good LOR from the cardiologist I worked with. I dont mind going to community cards programs. I really don't want to work as a hospitalist for a year.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can still have a good shot at matching despite your "limited" research, just apply broadly. Though you should think hard about how much you truly want to do cards. It's one of the toughest IM specialties in terms of lifestyle, and the fact that you settled on cards this late in the game, after probably being exposed to it regularly through the years, as well as your mentioning of not wanting to do a hospitalist year, may be cause for reflection as to whether you truly want to pursue cards.

Last edited: