Applying into Optometry school with a low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranttm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Im scheduled to graduate May 2016 majoring in chemistry and minor in biology. Unfortunately my expected GPA when graduating will be 2.4. Im currently looking into research at school and thats about the only activity I have. I need advice on other activities/clubs to join and what optometry schools that would look at my application. I know my chances are low but I'm trying to give it everything I have. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Join a pre optometry club or even start I at your school. Volunteer and shadow! And do well on OAT! Anything that will overshadow your low gpa. Shadowing diverse practices and high oat will probably be your best bet. Also apply early and to some of the newer schools like Mcphs!

Reactions: 1 user
Join a pre optometry club or even start I at your school. Volunteer and shadow! And do well on OAT! Anything that will overshadow your low gpa. Shadowing diverse practices and high oat will probably be your best bet. Also apply early and to some of the newer schools like Mcphs!

Do u hAve any recommendations on other schools to apply besides Mcphs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools like Arizona or Pacific will reject you outright if your GPA is too low, but others will look past it if your OAT score is high. Are you in an American or Canadian school? It's a fact that some schools are harder than others, so for example if you got 380 or above on the OAT I'm sure that some schools would accept you but probably not ones like SUNY or Berkely. Just try to raise your GPA as much as possible and get a high OAT and do some shadowing, it's likely you can get into PCO or IAUPR or NECO or MCPHS, I'd say those ones are entirely possible.