Applying late for my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcushman9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.45
BCPM: 3.35
MCAT: 30

2 years research experience, School of life sciences apprentice program, chemistry tutor, 1 year shadowing in rehab facility, 1 year shadowing in PACU, member of several finance clubs (what a finance major freshmen year), volunteer work conducting science experiments for 7th/8th graders, part time coach of a youth hockey team

All things considered, is it pretty late to apply with a lower GPA and average MCAT? I'm an Arizona resident so there are really only 2 allo schools in the state, 1 of which is brand new and only plans on admitting <100 people next year. If I retook the MCAT I'd be really hesitant to take it in a month or so, putting myself at risk of rushing studying for a higher score and then I'd be stuck in the situation of having 2 mediocre MCAT scores and a very short time to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoops. Didn't include the breakdown. Pretty even.

11 VR - 10 BS - 9 PS

I'm not sure what you mean by "applying late," after all, the application cycle really just started.

If you get your application in before July, I think that you have a chance at getting into some allo (and definitely DO) schools. You have a good MCAT and a lot of research and clinical experience; you obviously know what the hospital environment is like. I don't recommend trying to take the MCAT again in the next month if you aren't 100% ready; it would be better to apply next year if you are really worried. Go with your gut, and if you do choose to apply and have the money, apply very broadly (30+ schools for sure). My 2 cents.

Argephontes

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by "applying late," after all, the application cycle really just started.

If you get your application in before July, I think that you have a chance at getting into some allo (and definitely DO) schools. You have a good MCAT and a lot of research and clinical experience; you obviously know what the hospital environment is like. I don't recommend trying to take the MCAT again in the next month if you aren't 100% ready; it would be better to apply next year if you are really worried. Go with your gut, and if you do choose to apply and have the money, apply very broadly (30+ schools for sure). My 2 cents.

Argephontes

Alright, thanks a lot for the information. I was under the impression that most people applied relatively early and that I was slightly behind the curve.

I'm also debating getting started on my applications and studying and retaking in 3 weeks. I left myself only several weeks to study for the MCAT and feel that a few more weeks of hard work would increase my score, and if I do not feel very confident that I did better, I would just cancel my score.

I am in a very similar position as you from a GPA standpoint, taking MCAT on Friday. Get that app in pronto and turn in secondaries as quickly as possible, applying early is everything for people in our position.

I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you are getting 35's on the AAMC practice tests.

I think you should apply this year to start in 2009 and get the application materials sent out ASAP! About the MCAT retake: is there a way to be vague about it on your application and then send updated scores once they arrive? If you make it crystal clear that you're retaking, your app might just get sent to the hold pile and not reviewed until the new scores are in. That won't be until the Fall.

If you're going to retake, then take the preparation seriously and give yourself more than three weeks. Two months could be enough.

I say apply quickly and see what happens. Look into your options about reporting the MCAT retake, etc. Good luck!

I think you should apply this year to start in 2009 and get the application materials sent out ASAP! About the MCAT retake: is there a way to be vague about it on your application and then send updated scores once they arrive? If you make it crystal clear that you're retaking, your app might just get sent to the hold pile and not reviewed until the new scores are in. That won't be until the Fall.

If you're going to retake, then take the preparation seriously and give yourself more than three weeks. Two months could be enough.

I say apply quickly and see what happens. Look into your options about reporting the MCAT retake, etc. Good luck!

Thanks for all the info everyone. From what I could find as far as cancelling your score goes, I couldn't find anything concrete but it seemed like the consensus was that schools will never know you even took the test if you do cancel the score. Is this not true?

You might have to ask AAMC's MCAT people about that. Do not believe anything unless it's from them directly.

I'm not sure if the issue is canceling your score, so much as indicating on AMCAS that you plan to retake the MCAT in the near future.