Applying late to MSTP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s_med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
very impressive app. I am not an expert on admissions, but it may be beneficial to join a non-computational lab for post-bac year. best of luck either way! =]

I'm no expert so take my words w/ a grain of salt. You have a strong application package but a lot of those schools have limited slots and this late in the cycle would most likely hurt you more than help. I'd suggest you hold off on applying until the next cycle and continuing to bolster your application in the mean time. Congrats on your scholastic performance and don't worry about the age thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
You got a really good application package, its deep into the season already though. One of the AdCOM members on SDN said they received 2/3 applicants already so its hard to say.

As a re-applicant myself for this season I don't really know how schools look at re-applicants. I doubt they will care given your excellent app.

A little aside, I was in the same boat as you though I applied my first time really late (finished some secondaries on the deadline date). Didn't pan out too well (my MCAT wasn't as good as yours) but I ended up getting waitlisted at WashU. I was also 19 when I graduated, I decided to take two years off to relax and prep my application. You are in a pretty good spot already, One year is more than enough with a strong early app you should be fine. On the other hand of you can always put in your application and see what happens (you lose some money) but you never know, it might (emphasis on might) turn out okay.

Last edited:
how many interview invites did you get the first time you applied?

Two one from a mstp program and another from a MD program

Did you get any acceptances at all, and if so, did you decline them?

No acceptances (didnt have a great MCAT score), Waitlisted at WashU's MD program

I don't want to complete my applications half-heartedly, but also don't want to put myself in a position where I would have to decline an acceptance to a decent school in the hopes of re-applying next cycle with a better shot at the top schools. I think my current plan is just to finish these applications now, see what interview invites come around and then take it from there...

You have a really good application so I doubt that you will have any trouble getting into any of the top tiers programs with an early app. Right now your just competing for a lot fewer slots so even if you're great some adcoms wont even get to look at your application.. its up to you. My advice would be to take the year off (you can put in applications, but dont get your hopes up) I really valued the time off, and I didnt want to jump into an 7-8 year long haul already burned out from undergrad. not to sound old but you're young even if you do take the year off you'll still be much younger than your peers.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your reply -- it was very helpful. Just got an interview invite from Case Western, so I think I'll see how this season goes and make a decision about timing later. But I'm very willing to take a gap year if that's ultimately for the best.
That's a very promising sign! I am sure there will be few programs that will fast track you because of those numbers :)

Thanks again for your reply -- it was very helpful. Just got an interview invite from Case Western, so I think I'll see how this season goes and make a decision about timing later. But I'm very willing to take a gap year if that's ultimately for the best.
Well done ... and your stats look great!

When you say that applying this cycle would hurt more than help, do you mean that a RE-application next year would fare worse than a first application to that program?
Yes, although given that you've already submitted AMCAS I think you have to just push forward at this point.

For future applicants, a september AMCAS submission is simply way too late if you're applying smartly. At my school, by the time you got and returned the secondary, we'd already be interviewing kids and most of the interview spots would be gone before anyone even saw your app.

I submitted my secondaries late by SDN standards and got multiple interviews and acceptances. My situation wasn't ideal but I was waiting on a July MCAT score. You will get really anxious as you wait to hear back while others are already interviewing but don't let it get to you.

If your goal is to get into a very specific top school then yes you might have hurt yourself a little. But with those stats, you have a good shot at getting into a top school (as long as you're a normal human being otherwise). My bet is with your stellar combination of MCAT/GPA/2 publications, you will get multiple top 10 interviews.

The whole, "only a small portion of interview spots left this late" argument is more applicable to students with borderline stats. I'm not encouraging late applications but it's also not a hard rule that you're screwed if you are complete any time past August.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users