Applying late with pretty good stats, but I'm still worried.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanderwaals

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many schools did you apply to? Note: your stats are pointless with only 40 hours of shadowing at some schools.

your GPA is awesome, DAT is pretty good.
Now everything is on the hands of the god you believe.

you will still be able to get some post-dec interviews. I am sure spots will open up as people withdraw from the acceptance.
Don't lose hope. There are a whole bunch of us who sent them in early september, late september and even later september applicants got some interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of a schools have a requirement for shadowing hours and will not consider you if you do not meet those requirements. If I am not wrong, it is over 100.

Yes, I did see that on a few school websites. Many are vague, however. I appreciate your help.

Since you've already submitted your app it might be worth your time to plan a day in the next week or so to shadow a dentist ALL day. Maybe Saturdays if an office is open? That might be an easy way to pick up 8 hours. Do that a couple times and it might be worth your time to update the schools with your new shadowing hours, even if you've only added 10-20.

Thank you. It looks like it ended up working out well for you!

My material was mailed 9/26 and I have 3 interviews with solid stats so you'll be fine too I'm sure.

Well, I would have to disagree on shadowing hour requirements. Some schools apparently take into consideration research because research is a type of shadowing experience depending on the type of research you did. My mentors encouraged me to apply to schools that I lacked maybe 40 shadowing hours, saying that my application is good enough to be accepted for an interview at schools like U Mich.

Your grades are great. Depending on which schools you applied, do not be worried. Rolling decision means the applications are reviewed in the order they are received but that does not deter your chances for a spot. Some schools will not fill all the seats available even by the time the class starts dental school in the summer or fall.

Your situation reads (to me, at least) as if you were pre-med and made a quick switch to dentistry. I would definitely get more hours in if you want schools to take you seriously.

A lot of a schools have a requirement for shadowing hours and will not consider you if you do not meet those requirements. If I am not wrong, it is over 100.
Most ask for over 50... but the average is about 75 hours

I am actually getting 15-20 more shadowing hours this week! I appreciate all of your replies.

Update: I have an interview at dream school!

Reactions: 2 users
Update: Today, I got accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! Though with a GPA like your's the acceptance is hardly surprising :p

Glad it worked out, just goes to show you that a high GPA + DAT > any EC's

Thank you! In my case, I suppose it does.