Applying more than once

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbomb

degree ******
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it ever count against you if you apply, are rejected, and you reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it doesn't. I got rejected the first time and then got in the 2nd time by the same school.

What about 3 rejections (or was it 4)? :laugh:

Should one begin to think about giving up at that point?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about 3 rejections (or was it 4)? :laugh:

Should one begin to think about giving up at that point?

you've gone through it 4 times?!?! i really hope you get in this year. I admire your determination. I hope you get in, it'll give us some hope too.
Good Luck, cheers

Just make sure when you reapply, you talk to someone from the Adcom after you are rejected to see what you can do to improve your chances. Sometimes, they'll tell you exactly what they want from you. Get that persons name and contact info, keep in touch throughout the year and keep asking if you're on the right track. Then when you reapply, that same guy might see your improvements and call you in for an interview.

Bottom line, when you reapply, always show them you improved from the year before. And emphasize it somehow in your personal statement.

Does emailing count? I applied to only one school last year and as soon as I got the rejection letter, I emailed both the admissions office and this alumni from my school who was on the adcom but I never got a reply from either one...making me think if I should reapply to this school or should I only apply to other schools.

Does emailing count? I applied to only one school last year and as soon as I got the rejection letter, I emailed both the admissions office and this alumni from my school who was on the adcom but I never got a reply from either one...making me think if I should reapply to this school or should I only apply to other schools.

I'd definitely call if I were you. Perhaps call during the end of the admissions cycle when it gets less busy for them. Luckily for me, my girlfriend got into the school I wanted to go to. She got me to "interview" with one of the biochem professors who is also on the adcom. I sat down with him for a good 30 minutes to review my application with me and see what I could do for next year.

Now, I am no way saying I am a shoe in, but I have done everything he recommended and hopefully I can get a real interview with them this year.

Good luck! Hope you will get into the school you want to go to.

This is my second time around......I applied to more schools this time as well as the schools the rejected me last year