Applying Next Cycle!! Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnigeria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a URM (African American Male) at a pretty solid state school. Here some of my stats so far:
  • Biomedical Science Major, Minor in Chem
  • cgpa 3.56, sgpa 3.5 (struggled freshmen year but very good upward trend, 3.8s or higher every semester since)
  • Treasurer of Black Student Union at my university, one of the leaders of the Kings of Nia (a organization which promotes and supporter African American males in the university and in the surrounding community)
  • Studied Abroad in Ghana took a psychology course (winter session)
  • Tutor students in high level Biology courses, general chem, and calculus.
  • McNair Scholar: Have over 800+ hours of research and also did field research in the Amazon for an ALS cure. Presented my research posters at my scientific functions include at a McNair symposium at UC Berkeley. Working on presenting at NCUR
  • I have CNA certification, which i will use this upcoming year to work as a Patient care Tech at local hospital.
  • Volunteered at the hospital and also as a tutor to underrepresented youth in the local high schools. Also, have shadowing hours
I'm planning to take my MCAT in May, which I already bought the books for and shooting for 30+. I of course will continue with the shadowing, volunteering, and research till I apply.
Given this, what should I do this coming year before I apply to better my chances?
I've looked into schools, but what schools should I also look into?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a URM (African American Male) at a pretty solid state school. Here some of my stats so far:
  • cgpa 3.56, sgpa 3.5 (struggled freshmen year but very good upward trend, 3.8s or higher every semester since)
  • Treasurer of Black Student Union at my university, one of the leaders of the Kings of Nia (a organization which promotes and supporter African American males in the university and in the surrounding community)
  • McNair Scholar: Have over 800+ hours of research and also did field research in the Amazon for an ALS cure. Presented my research posters at my scientific functions include at a McNair symposium at UC Berkeley. Working on presenting at NCUR
  • I have CNA certification, which i will use this upcoming year to work as a Patient care Tech at local hospital.
  • Volunteered at the hospital and also as a tutor to underrepresented youth in the local high schools. Also, have shadowing hours
I'm planning to take my MCAT in May, which I already bought the books for and shooting for 30+. I of course will continue with the shadowing, volunteering, and research till I apply.
Given this, what should I do this coming year before I apply to better my chances?

Might as well start approaching professors now for LORs if you haven't already done so. Late recommendation letters threw off the timing of half of my applications. Now there's unneeded stress worrying about "is my app too late?"

It really pays to get applications in as early as possible. Can't think of any other advice since your GPA and ECs would make you competitive. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Awesome bro! It seems like you are heading in the right direction. Def rock the MCAT, you have medical experience so thats a plus. Like the gentleman below said, make sure you get some good LORs. Also, make sure you apply early and broadly and I think you should be ok!

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Dr. Webb
Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
================
www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: facebook.com/awebbmd
Follow me at: antoniowebbmd.com
Follow me at: twitter.com/drwebb82

Also I would start saving up because the process gets expensive and the last thing you needwith your stats is to cut off a zchool you like because I cant afford this.

1. score as solidly as possible on MCAT (30+ would be phenomenal, but maybe not 100% necessary. just do your best to open doors)
2. get LORs early (my committee letter lateness killed me, so do your best)
3. save up as much money as possible (think thousands, not hundreds)

Do all of these things and you'll have a very successful cycle. Great application my man. you're well on your way

I really appreciate the encouragement guys!!! I'm really nervous, but yet excited to apply.
@DoctorLacrosse and @bonedoc82 With recommendation, which way did you find were the more efficient when it came to delivering the LORs to AAMC (like through the website or mailing it in)?

I really appreciate the encouragement guys!!! I'm really nervous, but yet excited to apply.
@DoctorLacrosse and @bonedoc82 With recommendation, which way did you find were the more efficient when it came to delivering the LORs to AAMC (like through the website or mailing it in)?

mine went through my university's pre med committee, so when they finished it I'm pretty sure they uploaded it right to AMCAS. if your school has no committee then unfortunately I can't help too much there.

mine went through my university's pre med committee, so when they finished it I'm pretty sure they uploaded it right to AMCAS. if your school has no committee then unfortunately I can't help too much there.
Thank you very much.