Applying Next Cycle!! Would Appreciate Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnigeria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a URM (African American Male) at a pretty solid state school. Here some of my stats so far:
  • Biomedical Science Major, Minor in Chem
  • cgpa 3.56, sgpa 3.5 (struggled freshmen year but very good upward trend, 3.8s or higher every semester since)
  • Treasurer of Black Student Union at my university, one of the leaders of the Kings of Nia (a organization which promotes and supporter African American males in the university and in the surrounding community)
  • Studied Abroad in Ghana took a psychology course (winter session)
  • Tutor students in high level Biology courses, general chem, and calculus.
  • McNair Scholar: Have over 800+ hours of research and also did field research in the Amazon for an ALS cure. Presented my research posters at my scientific functions include at a McNair symposium at UC Berkeley. Working on presenting at NCUR
  • I have CNA certification, which i will use this upcoming year to work as a Patient care Tech at local hospital.
  • Volunteered at the hospital and also as a tutor to underrepresented youth in the local high schools. Also, have shadowing hours
I'm planning to take my MCAT in May, which I already bought the books for and shooting for 30+. I of course will continue with the shadowing, volunteering, and research till I apply.
Given this, what should I do this coming year before I apply to better my chances?
I've looked into schools, but what schools should I also look into?

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on the MCAT. Shooting for a 30+ is easier said than done. Once you have a score we can help with lists.