Applying next round

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to both DO and MD schools but I had a late app and I still have not been offered a position. I am considering reapplying next round. I have a 23 MCAT, job shadowed 4 years, have three publications in cardiac research, volunteer work for 2 years, 3.5 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, etc etc. I am also doing a EMT program this summer.

I am basically wondering:

(A) what schools would be best for me to apply to (I am a MI resident)
(B) what I could do to beef up my app
(C) what I should do with my extra year
(D) what I should do to change my personal statement (iow: what constitutes a good one)

lol :confused: I think that is all. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I applied to both DO and MD schools but I had a late app and I still have not been offered a position. I am considering reapplying next round. I have a 23 MCAT, job shadowed 4 years, have three publications in cardiac research, volunteer work for 2 years, 3.5 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, etc etc. I am also doing a EMT program this summer.

(D) what I should do to change my personal statement (iow: what constitutes a good one)

You should really take the MCAT again. You have everything except a good MCAT. That will make a huge difference. You should try to increase your score by AT LEAST 3 points but aim for a 28. It looks like the only red flag in your app so that is what i would spend my time on. Also if i were you I would just apply to DO schools (maybe 8-10) and only MI MD schoools.
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

A. State school (MD or DO) then....private schools that don't care about your residency.
B. Must retake MCAT. 23 is too low for MD or DO. Bring it up about 3~4 points. Your sGPA seems too low for MD schools also but it should be okay for DO schools if you bring your MCAT up.
C. Spend your time productively, work in health care or something that you can talk about during your interview. I took one year off to payoff my undergraduate loans and it wasn't related to healthcare at all. School didnt care.
D. A good PS is usually when you write about your experiences rather than what you feel. Everyone can say "oh i want to help people, I love science, I love working with people, I believe in OMM blah blah" but I think writing about an experience and then elaborating how you felt about it is much much stronger than a flat out statement saying I want to become a doctor because I feel..blah blah

good luck:)

thanks for all the replies. Any other advice would be appreciated. What sort of private schools "dont care about residencies". Also how do DO schools feel about applicants that Re-apply to the same school?

Schools in general welcome reapplicants. Just make sure your application actually improves between cycles.

Not to just echo what everyone else has said but you need to improve your MCAT. "Safe" scores at MI schools, at least 27 for MSUCOM, 30-31 for MSUCHM/WSU and 34-36 for UMich. So your ideal score should be somewhere in that mix. Give yourself enough time and prep to achieve that score.

You could cover your gap-year and application improvement with an EMT or research job. Or whatever else you're into.

As for your personal statement, have friends and family read it. Have the official PS readers on here read it. My general advice is make it an interesting read.

thanks for all the replies. Any other advice would be appreciated. What sort of private schools "dont care about residencies". Also how do DO schools feel about applicants that Re-apply to the same school?

Being a reapplicant makes things much more difficult unless your application has improved significantly. Apply early and improve that MCAT score.

1. apply early
2. Research the schools you are interested in (MSUCOM focuses a great deal on volunteer work and recommendation forms) then do what would help you at those schools
3. get at least a 25 on MCAT for DO schools
4. apply early

In order of importance,
1. retake MCAT
2. apply Early. your GPA is not going to make you stand out from the crowd late in the game. as soon as AMCAS/AACOMAS becomes available, fill it out and hit send.
3. have someone (preferably a couple of pre-med advisors) read over your personal statement to give you feedback on whether you're giving the Ad Coms the image you want of yourself
4. once you get to the interview stage, mock interview x 3 at least.

i was kind of a hopeless case, with a much more iffy undergrad GPA than you, and i did all of the above (substitute taking grad courses for retaking MCAT) and got in on the first try (i was pretty shocked).

as far as your gap year, if you have the opportunity to take some grad courses, e.g. physiology or biochem, then you might want to consider that. that seems like the only thing you aren't doing already; and if there's a hobby or something you really feel passionate about (big brother/sister program, recycling, you name it) don't be afraid to work on a big non-medical field project too (while keeping up with the EMT and the volunteering, of course). lots of my friends have talked about the oddest stuff off their resume becoming the topic of an interview convo, and they end up getting in because their passion and roundedness really come through to the interviewer.

your publications will probably give you an edge, along with your EMT experience. michigan has great schools, so good luck!

I think if you applied early, you could have gotten in somewhere this cycle. Especially with 3 publications.

But now that you have a year off. Retake the MCAT and you should be set.