Applying next year IL resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IL Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
huigyjh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't really tell you as much as I'd like without your MCAT. It almost totally hinges on how you do on it.

Well thanks, that just motivates me more to kill it next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for additional advice

1. We can't really chance you without an MCAT score

2. Don't take graduate level work; take more UG classes. Even if you've already graduated, enroll at a local college and take as many college courses as possible to boost your GPA. Will it fix your GPA? No, but it will show that you are trying to be proactive at fixing your previous mistakes.

3. Usually when people talk about upward trends, their early college grades were low 3's or high 2's. A 1.7 and 2.2 does not look good. You cannot change them at this point, so you better be ready to sell the hell out of your 'I f'ed up, but I learned from those mistakes' story

Good luck :luck:

Your timing is all off. You can't be taking the MCAT in August AND apply next cycle. Well, technically you can, but then you'd be sweating to get verified and you'd be late, LaTe, LATE. Do ot right the first time. Take some more college courses. Take the MCAT next summer. And apply in 2014. I know that seems really far away, but be strategic in this process and you'll be successful.

Your timing is all off. You can't be taking the MCAT in August AND apply next cycle. Well, technically you can, but then you'd be sweating to get verified and you'd be late, LaTe, LATE. Do ot right the first time. Take some more college courses. Take the MCAT next summer. And apply in 2014. I know that seems really far away, but be strategic in this process and you'll be successful.

I figured I'd try next cycle just in case I could get in somewhere. I'd love to start a year sooner ya know? Will it hurt my chances in 2014 if I apply for 2013? Does being a re-applicant make it more difficult to get in? I thought it wouldn't make a difference, if anything it would show devotion to the field and perseverance. Also in regards to the undergrad vs grad GPA. I spoke with a few schools and every admissions counselor told me the most important GPA is the most recent, even if its graduate. They didn't say they favored one over the other.

Updated with recent GPA, activities, and plan. Please continue to give feedback. Thank you all!

Planning on taking MCAT early August 2013

??

You're applying this cycle, but you're not taking the MCAT until August? If so, bad idea. You won't have your scores til Sept. makes for a late application.

You don't need to spend the whole summer on the MCAT. Besides, aren't you out of school? If so, start studying now, and take the exam at the end of spring..

??

You're applying this cycle, but you're not taking the MCAT until August? If so, bad idea. You won't have your scores til Sept. makes for a late application.

You don't need to spend the whole summer on the MCAT. Besides, aren't you out of school? If so, start studying now, and take the exam at the end of spring..

I'm in my first year of pharmacy school right now, the Kaplan course that I was planning on taking runs late May through late July. I believe there is one more class that is more condensed but from what I've read on here people recommend 2-3 months of MCAT studying so I didn't think I could condense my study schedule anymore. There's no way I can study during Spring with a full 18 credit hour course load so I need to start right after finals, which is what I'm doing.

bump

Just want to see if there's anything I can do to help improve my app over the summer. I am studying intensely for the MCAT in August and I know I'm at a severe disadvantage applying this cycle but I just want to submit my app hoping for a miracle. Don't mind spending the cash even for a slim chance at an interview. I know my best chance will be next cycle for class of 2019.

Also I've switched from a Kaplan class to Princeton due to many user reviews.

bump

Just want to see if there's anything I can do to help improve my app over the summer. I am studying intensely for the MCAT in August and I know I'm at a severe disadvantage applying this cycle but I just want to submit my app hoping for a miracle. Don't mind spending the cash even for a slim chance at an interview. I know my best chance will be next cycle for class of 2019.

Also I've switched from a Kaplan class to Princeton due to many user reviews.

Nope, not intense enough. 8 days of FLs ain't gon' cut it. Change your schedule, or you'll be disappointed. You need every single point on that exam to aim for MD schools, because that GPA (depending on how the grad one goes) is still low even for DO.

Last edited:
Nope, not intense enough. 8 days of FLs ain't gon' cut it. Change your schedule, or you'll be disappointed. You need every single point on that exam to aim for MD schools, because that GPA (depending on how the grad one goes) is still low even for DO.

Edit: lol nvm my b, bro

Just get as high an MCAT as possible, and do well in pharm school. Perhaps be prepared to justify your decision to be in PharmD if it comes up for a reason other than to prove your new academic worth. Best of luck! :thumbup:

But I'd wait for the next cycle. Low objective stats like yours (just saying like it is) applying that late is going to hurt mucho mucho for state schools since they're rolling like a mofo. I'd save the application fee and headache and just get the process done in one go. You can submit like June 1st next cycle and be fine with interviews by Thanksgiving. Why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: lol nvm my b, bro

Just get as high an MCAT as possible, and do well in pharm school. Perhaps be prepared to justify your decision to be in PharmD if it comes up for a reason other than to prove your new academic worth. Best of luck! :thumbup:

But I'd wait for the next cycle. Low objective stats like yours (just saying like it is) applying that late is going to hurt mucho mucho for state schools since they're rolling like a mofo. I'd save the application fee and headache and just get the process done in one go. You can submit like June 1st next cycle and be fine with interviews by Thanksgiving. Why not?

Hey buddy, to address your first statement yes, I have a very unique story for why I'm switching career paths (just can't disclose it for sake of anonymity). As far as applying, I decided I'm only applying to my local schools (there are 5) so not going to waste a ton of $$$ then apply broadly day 1 next year.

Last edited:
Hey buddy, to address your first statement yes, I have a very unique story for why I'm switching career paths (just can't disclose it for sake of anonymity). As far as applying, I decided I'm only applying to my local schools (there are 5) so not going to waste a ton of $$$ then apply broadly day 1 next year.

Cool. Logical. Rock on.

P.S. Where I'm from, "hey buddy" usually isn't a promising sign of nice words to follow. So at first I was like "oh ****" but then I be like "nah it's cool." lol

Also I much preferred your robot avatar over this current one. Idk :shrug:

BUMP added more information to first post and looking for help on possible reapplication next year.

Is it smart to withdraw from my current PharmD program in order to show med schools I am committed to medicine and not pharmacy?

BUMP added more information to first post and looking for help on possible reapplication next year.

Is it smart to withdraw from my current PharmD program in order to show med schools I am committed to medicine and not pharmacy?
I'd withdraw to save the money and time. Sounds like a waste at this point.

Do something else before reapplying. Not sure how much more cookie cutter medical experience would help you at this point. Perhaps something cool like a job in a different field would be worthwhile both for making you a more "diverse" applicant and your own sake as well. :shrug:

MCAT looks great (awesome job!), but that GPA will still kill you at some schools. I'd set myself apart by getting into something non-medical, since your academics are basically set already.

I would definitely withdraw sooner rather than later, especially if you have no interest in completing the program.

Next semester, if possible, I would focus on taking upper level courses, or retake the courses where you made a C to show that you have mastered the material. Congrats on the MCAT score!

Bump.

Please help me with my school list for next cycle.

Have you raise your uGPAs this year? Did you get any II this cycle?
The GPA posted is the raised GPA, I have a 4.0 in all postbacc courses which will count towards undergrad GPA. No II this cycle but applied to only 5 schools.

Bump again as the new application season is approaching. Does anyone think I have a shot this year at MD schools? Really trying everything possible to make myself more competitive.

So your GPAs are 3.0? I'm having a hard time figuring out from all your bumps. Your MCAT is really good but if your GPAs are 3.0 that's really low for MD. Are you applying DO?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

So your GPAs are 3.0? I'm having a hard time figuring out from all your bumps. Your MCAT is really good but if your GPAs are 3.0 that's really low for MD. Are you applying DO?

Not sure on DO applications yet. Yeah GPA is a 3.0 right now, with upwards trend.

I've read that some MD schools have auto reject with GPAs of less than 3.2. Don't know if that is true but IMO you don't stand much of a chance at MD school with your GPA. Do you have a MSAR? If not you should invest in it right away.
You also really should investigate DO schools and DO philosophy.

Is your cGPA of 3.0 including the post-bac? If so MD is out unless you get that GPA up. DOs might not be a cakewalk either.
Yeah, 3.0 is including the post bacc unfortunately. I'm pretty f*****, I don't think I'll ever be able to get passed my stupid undergrad GPA no matter what I do, and it sucks because it's not indicative of who I am today... :(

Last edited:
I don't think that you should be applying to MD programs without pursuing a SMP. You have the MCAT score, but you have to show an ad com that you can handle medical school material.

While you have a great GPA from Pharmacy school, a 3.0 GPA including your post-bac will auto-reject you at many schools.

Why the opposition to DO?

Reactions: 1 user
How come the pharmacy GPA doesn't show the adcoms that I'm capable? Not arguing, just wondering. The coursework was actually pretty tough, definitely more difficult than my undergrad and I even took classes and exams with medical students as part of my school's inter professional program. The only opposition to DO is that going that route may limit my future residency opportunities so I'm saving it as a last resort for the app cycle before my MCAT expires.

If you feel that your pharmacy GPA shows your potential for success in medical school, why do you think that you didn't receive interviews for your last application cycle with those grades on your transcript? (Note: I have taken pharmacy/medical school courses through my graduate program and they were quite challenging.) Therefore, I think that those ad coms have other reservations about your academic record that your performance in pharmacy school doesn't remedy. While there are some schools that reward reinvention, I think that your undergraduate GPA still prevents you from being screened out by the computers. I know that it's incredibly frustrating, but it's a fact that you should try to fix before your MCAT score expires.

With respect to the DO vs. MD discussion, I think that you should worry about getting into ANY medical school before you worry about the residency programs that you could apply for after medical school.
@Goro @gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
Concur 100%. And DO student CAN get into competetive residencies, and it will only get easier with the AOA/ACGME merger.

OP, there are MD schools that value reinvention. I'm surprised that you didn't get any love from the second try, but with five schools, you might have aimed too high. You definitely did the first time around.

So try all DO schools, Tulane, Tufts, NYMC, Albany, Drexel and Case. Contact the schools that rejected you and ask for feedback on why you were rejected. I suspect the schools might be leery of your jumping fields, not of your academic prowess.

With respect to the DO vs. MD discussion, I think that you should worry about getting into ANY medical school before you worry about the residency programs that you could apply for after medical school.
@Goro @gyngyn[/QUOTE]

Did you fully explain why you dropped out of Pharm school? I wonder if that dropping out raised a flag of maybe career hopping. Bottom line is you have a 3.0 GPA and that is low for DO so it is below low for MD. Stop being so picky and stubborn. If you want to be a Doctor apply DO and maybe you will be a doc.

Concur 100%. And DO student CAN get into competetive residencies, and it will only get easier with the AOA/ACGME merger.

OP, there are MD schools that value reinvention. I'm surprised that you didn't get any love from the second try, but with five schools, you might have aimed too high. You definitely did the first time around.

So try all DO schools, Tulane, Tufts, NYMC, Albany, Drexel and Case. Contact the schools that rejected you and ask for feedback on why you were rejected. I suspect the schools might be leery of your jumping fields, not of your academic prowess.

@Goro @gyngyn
[/QUOTE]
Would it be a good idea to discuss my poor grades in the secondary where they ask "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" I want to convey the message to adcoms that I have learned from my mistakes and that my old grades do not reflect my current work ethic. I can't think of any other way to let them know.

Saying this is OK, but don't discuss the grades directly, as it too often appears as excuse making. Follow up the below with how you excelled in your post-bac performance as an indicator of what you're truely capable of.

I want to convey the message to adcoms that I have learned from my mistakes and that my old grades do not reflect my current work ethic.

Saying this is OK, but don't discuss the grades directly, as it too often appears as excuse making. Follow up the below with how you excelled in your post-bac performance as an indicator of what you're truely capable of.

I want to convey the message to adcoms that I have learned from my mistakes and that my old grades do not reflect my current work ethic.
Thanks for all your help Goro, really appreciate it.

Bump again as the new application season is approaching. Does anyone think I have a shot this year at MD schools? Really trying everything possible to make myself more competitive.
-What are you doing now to make yourself more competitive?
-How many postbac hours have you earned?
-Are you still in Pharmacy school this term?
Hello guys, long time lurker here finally deciding to begin applying next cycle, just want to get some feedback as to how I'm looking so far and what I can do to improve.

Undergrad cGPA/sGPA 3.0
Graduate GPA 3.9 PharmD (unfinished degree, withdrew after 2 years)
4.0 post bacc

Experience I have:
Over 2000 hours working in a hospital pharmacy
500+ hours emergency room volunteer
20 hours shadowing a physician
Various other volunteering in my community that isn't in the medical field
1.5 years of research
Tutoring
Teaching MCAT courses
EMT certification

MCAT: 35 (PS13/VR10/BS12)

I will be reapplying next cycle again after applying late and not getting in. Please help me with my school list, as of now it is:
UIC
Rush
Northwestern
Pritzker
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Southern Illinois
Tulane
Baylor
Loma Linda
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Tech Carilion
Boston
Albany
Einstein
Colorado
Penn State
University of Washington
Hofstra
Warren Alpert
New York Medical College
-Are these ECs up to date?
-Is this your current working list of schools?

Speaking as an IL resident with a very similar app stats wise, I would remove Baylor, Creighton, Penn State, U of Cin, and both Virginia schools on your list (replace with EVMS). I would add Oakland University WB in Michigan.

If you want to add more you can always take a chance with Georgetown, George Washington, Jefferson, Albany, Temple, Tufts, and University of Rochester.

Last edited: