MD & DO Applying this summer.. What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaymoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply this summer and am just curious about what others think my chances are. My premed advisor isn't very helpful so I honestly don't know where I stand.

-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-Clinical volunteer activities- 25 hours HIV/STD tester

-Physician shadowing-20 hours Pediatrician (MD)
-65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle
-Research- Summer research fellowship with a professor (379 hours)

-Nonclinical volunteer activities -100+hours coaching Special Olympics
-25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Employment-Worked for Home Depot the summer before college.
Worked for the city of my home town mowing lawns for two summers
Hopefully working for a Special needs group home this summer

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

The DO schools i'm going to apply to are:
A.T Still University in Arizona
Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)
Western in Oregon and California
Midwestern in Chicago and Arizona
Those are my top choices for DO

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD

Members don't see this ad.

-cGPA-3.456 sGPA-3.3 (alot of B's from freshman and some of sophomore year, kicked it in gear and got A's in my chemistry classes and physiology classes)

I'm taking the MCAT next week(05/22/2014)... eekk! I am hoping for a 32 have been getting 3o's and 31's on my latest kaplan practice tests.

-65 hours Family physician (DO) Kinda worried about this one because he is my uncle

-25 hours Great Hospital Adventure (went into elementary schools and taught children about doctors and nurses)

-Clinical Experience-20 hours of CNA clinical experience during my CNA certification

Pacific Northwest University in Washington (has a program for special acceptance for my state)

I am also going to apply to some MD schools depending on my MCAT- worried my GPA is a little low for MD
Stats-wise you can see the chances of past applicants for MD based on your cGPA and various MCAT score outcomes here: Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT

For DO schools, if you apply to the new schools, you might be OK with a 26+.

My concern for both MD and DO applications is that while I see a good amount of shadowing (85 hours, and yes, shadowing an uncle is fine as long as they don't write your LOR) you have very little active clinical experience (25+20 hours only). I'd hope you plan to fix that, ideally, before you submit your application.

Agree with @Catalystik. I don't think MD is in your future, but you have a chance at getting some DO IIs.

Members don't see this ad :)
The clinical EC hours are on the low side and might be a problem. The GPAs are fine for any DO program, inclduing mine. For MD schools, well, they're circling the drain. MSAR Online is your friend. Aim low.

I am getting ready to apply this summer and am just curious about what others think my chances are. My premed advisor isn't very helpful so I honestly don't know where I stand.

Thank you guys for the feedback! I know my clinical areas are my biggest weakness but I just don't know if I have enough time to fix it. Lets just hope I get a good MCAT score!