Applying to an MA program and PhD program at the same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering applying to an MA program (in psych research and stats) at a school where I'm also applying to the PhD program (one of applied fields), using the MA program as a potential back-up. Would this look shady or negative in any way? Should I not do it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm considering applying to an MA program (in psych research and stats) at a school where I'm also applying to the PhD program (one of applied fields), using the MA program as a potential back-up. Would this look shady or negative in any way? Should I not do it?

Thanks!

Interesting question... In my opinion, if I were on an admissions committee, I would see it as honest and pragmatic. However, I don't really know how that looks to a potential PhD program. They may take it as you not being sure what you want, or that your not fully dedicated or passionate about that academic/career path.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say about this topic...

To further complicate things, I have an interview with the PhD program a week before the MA apps are due in. Obviously, the PhD would be my first choice, but if that doesn't work out this time around, I wouldn't mind getting more stats/research training while preparing for a re-application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools I asked for specifically asked on the application if I would be interested in the master's degree if I wasn't accepted for the Ph.D. degree, so I don't think applying to both would look shady at all. Just realistic, like the other poster said.

Hi,

Thanks!

I know someone who applied to MSW and Phd Clinical programs at the same school last year. She got in to both, and chose the MSW (she decided that the PhD wasn't for her).

I think checking with your program would be a good idea.
Be careful, though- asking a faculty COULD backfire (depending on the individual, etc.).

I will share with you one valuable lesson that I learned in undergrad that has been reinforced in grad school - that administrative assistants are often one of the BEST sources of knowledge regarding the climate within the department, what is going on, how to do things, etc.

I would check with an administrative assistant about that (telephone is fine). Just be friendly, tell them why you are calling , and ask for their suggestions. You will likely be surprised regarding the wealth of knowledge and understanding of the admins (which usually far exceeds that of faculty, or at least what faculty are willing to share :) .

Hi,

Thanks!