Applying to anesthesia vs risking IM for cardio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aka_tigerj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enjoy both anesthesia & cardiology...

However, it looks as if I am only going to honor one rotation 3rd year (not in medicine either), so I likely won't have a chance at an academic IM program (step 237).

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

figure out if you just really like heart physio or if you want to actually be a cardiologist

between medical school (academic) and internship (community program) I worked with about 7 different classes of medicine residents, average of 4-5 applying to cardiology each class, and never met a single one who failed to match. i met two who didn't match in GI and both were terrible. i guess the point is, if you want to be a cardiologist and are willing to work hard you will probably get a spot. and your step 1 score is quite good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to have a clinic and take cardiac consults? Do you want to have a stable of patients that you manage long term? Want to cover a hospital service for a couple weeks every few months? If so, IM and a cards fellowship.
Do you want to fix a heart and move on to the next train wreck, go home to your trophy wife around 5, and forget the details of the day over a nice glass of Red? If so, anesthesia and a one year cardiac anesthesia fellowship.

Reactions: 9 users
Do you want to have a clinic and take cardiac consults? Do you want to have a stable of patients that you manage long term? Want to cover a hospital service for a couple weeks every few months? If so, IM and a cards fellowship.
Do you want to fix a heart and move on to the next train wreck, go home to your trophy wife around 5, and forget the details of the day over a nice glass of Red? If so, anesthesia and a one year cardiac anesthesia fellowship.

he means 5am of course; and trophies don't come cheap

Reactions: 4 users
They're very different fields. Assume that you'll get a cardiology fellowship if you work hard, no matter where your primary residency is. I'm sure plenty of solid community program applicants get fellowships. Additionally, over a long career, the extra year or two of training make little difference. Focus on what you want your life to be like in practice. Eventually everything becomes just a job. If you want your job to be in the OR, choose anesthesia. If you'd like more of a mix of office/hospital and potentially procedural work choose cardiology.

Reactions: 2 users
between medical school (academic) and internship (community program) I worked with about 7 different classes of medicine residents, average of 4-5 applying to cardiology each class, and never met a single one who failed to match. i met two who didn't match in GI and both were terrible. i guess the point is, if you want to be a cardiologist and are willing to work hard you will probably get a spot. and your step 1 score is quite good.

What do folks that don't match GI do?

Enjoy both anesthesia & cardiology...

However, it looks as if I am only going to honor one rotation 3rd year (not in medicine either), so I likely won't have a chance at an academic IM program (step 237).

Any thoughts?

I would think youd be a fine candidate for an academic program... Doubt every 237 step, average grade student is ending up in community medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Let me give you a piece of advice: always do the right thing.

Seriously though. Do what interests you.

Reactions: 1 user