Applying to AOA/ACGME wanting to switch to ACGME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I have been surprised by a few interview invitations at ACGME programs I have been getting at some great places.

I interviewed at a dually accredited program and loved it but I sent in my application for the AOA spot. Is there any possibility I could drop out of the AOA match and just apply for an ACGME position in this program? Its a wonderful program, but not my first choice due to location and the interview invitations I have later next month are in more desirable locales.

I just don't want to be in a position where if I withdraw from the AOA match, that I won't be able to still be in the running for this program. Or could I just email the PC and apply to their ACGME spot on ERAS?

I know this is a confusing post, so I apologize-- any help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a PD pull me aside, whether this was legal or not, and told me to 'let us know which match to look for me in'. I told them that they were the only aoa program that I was even looking at and that I'd likely be in the acgme, although I initially applied to acgme and aoa just to have that cushion. They understood, sent me post interview correspondence, but I matched in a much more desirable program. You do what you want. If you go on like 8 acgme interviews and have good interview skills and a competitive app, you'll probably match top 4.

Ok,
So my question is, should I email the PC and let her know that I am interviewing for the ACGME spot and not the AOA? Or do I just apply ACGME and only rank ACGME since Im getting more ACGME interviews anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be afraid to ask which match they prefer you to be in. You're not in an uncommon position and they've dealt with this before. If they're a good program they won't care which match. If they're (ahem) crappy, they'll tell you they only rank DO students in the AOA match.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless that program is your no 1 or 2, I'd drop the aoa match. I also would hope that you're talking about some place like Va Tech with a DIRECT university attachment, not something with an 'affiliation'. I'd rank only that program in the aoa match, if you think that you'd be happy there and are ok with passing up the acgme spots.

Don't be afraid to ask which match they prefer you to be in. You're not in an uncommon position and they've dealt with this before. If they're a good program they won't care which match. If they're (ahem) crappy, they'll tell you they only rank DO students in the AOA match.

If you do this and they agree, then on ERAS should you click that you don't want to be considered for the AOA position (I no longer want to be considered for this program box). Or would that affect things? Of course, you would already have to have applied to the MD spot.