Applying to both Dental and Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyckid10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering how it would look if I applied to both dental and optometry schools.

I have a 3.3 cumulative gpa, 3.0 science gpa. Since the OAT's and DAT's are really similar except for the perceptual ability and physics sections, I am considering taking both....and sending out my applications to both opto schools and dental schools.

Does this seem realistic? What problems may I possibly run into if I decide to do this? I have a bunch of LOR's from teachers.....but I only have shadowing letters from Dentists....as I never shadowed any Optometrists.

I guess you can say that Optometry is a backup plan, but I am genuinely interested in the field. I have a family full of Dentists, so I have been exposed to it for far longer...but I am willing to give Optometry a try....if it is willing to give me a chance lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering how it would look if I applied to both dental and optometry schools.

I have a 3.3 cumulative gpa, 3.0 science gpa. Since the OAT's and DAT's are really similar except for the perceptual ability and physics sections, I am considering taking both....and sending out my applications to both opto schools and dental schools.

Does this seem realistic? What problems may I possibly run into if I decide to do this? I have a bunch of LOR's from teachers.....but I only have shadowing letters from Dentists....as I never shadowed any Optometrists.

I guess you can say that Optometry is a backup plan, but I am genuinely interested in the field. I have a family full of Dentists, so I have been exposed to it for far longer...but I am willing to give Optometry a try....if it is willing to give me a chance lol.

Both schools will know that optometry is your backup haha.

You'll definitely need to shadow some optometrists and learn more about the field. SUNY optometry (assuming this is your top choice since if you really are from nyc, you get instate tuition) requires atleast 2-4 shadowing experiences.

You will also have to talk about the field. I dont see why you cant apply to both as long as youre properly informed and are seriously considering both, not just as a back up. Think about it like this, lets say you were to get into optometry school and dental school. If you then say you choose dental, i would forget about optometry and focus on making your application as best as possible, scoring high on the DAT. Same goes for optometry. You should only apply to both if you really cant decide but feel that you would be equally satisfied doing both. Just my 2cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a good idea to apply to both schools of study, contrary to popular belief a lot of employers actually appreciate people that get more involved in other things that are related outside of the profession.