Applying to Canadian Medical School in 3rd Year Undergrad/LOR Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masshmash37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering applying to McMaster University, which gives conditional offers to some who apply in their 3rd year of undergrad. I am going to 3rd year in September. My first year average is low, but my 2nd year average shows a strong upward trend. I have good ECs (but missing research experience), and my overall average meets the minimum requirement and I know there is a minority of students who get in with averages below mine. Also, they only look at the VR section of the MCAT and as of now, that is my strongest section (I am currently studying to write the MCAT at the end of August). I have just decided on applying, and I will have about a month (Sept.) to get my entire application together by the Oct 1st deadline. I can start on LORs now, though. I was wondering if a month would be enough for preparing and submitting my application? In addition, I would get busy with school and ECs in Sept. As well, if I am not accepted this time.. how long will my LORs last? Can I reuse the same LORs the next year of applying, without having to re-ask for them?

Random question: I know requirements always vary among medical schools, but does anyone know a general/safe range to be in, in terms of how old of an MCAT score, medical schools will accept?

Or.. am I just crazy to think they would possibly accept a sub-par GPA medhopeful who is not even done 3rd? Any input (even harsh ones) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

U
Hello,

I am considering applying to McMaster University, which gives conditional offers to some who apply in their 3rd year of undergrad. I am going to 3rd year in September. My first year average is low, but my 2nd year average shows a strong upward trend. I have good ECs (but missing research experience), and my overall average meets the minimum requirement and I know there is a minority of students who get in with averages below mine. Also, they only look at the VR section of the MCAT and as of now, that is my strongest section (I am currently studying to write the MCAT at the end of August). I have just decided on applying, and I will have about a month (Sept.) to get my entire application together by the Oct 1st deadline. I can start on LORs now, though. I was wondering if a month would be enough for preparing and submitting my application? In addition, I would get busy with school and ECs in Sept. As well, if I am not accepted this time.. how long will my LORs last? Can I reuse the same LORs the next year of applying, without having to re-ask for them?

Random question: I know requirements always vary among medical schools, but does anyone know a general/safe range to be in, in terms of how old of an MCAT score, medical schools will accept?

Or.. am I just crazy to think they would possibly accept a sub-par GPA medhopeful who is not even done 3rd? Any input (even harsh ones) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
usually 3rd yrs that they accept r from their own faculty of health sciences and have pretty much perfect stats. Why the rush? Why not put your absolute best app together and apply with that? If you think theres much to improve on, such as your gpa & ecs, why not spend at least another yr improving those? It's an incredibly long shot if you apply now...stressing yourself to get all ur stuff together in a month may not be worth it. Theyll be comparing your app to other highly qualified applicants who, for the most part, will have very polished applications after yrs of high achievement. I hope youll give it some time and work on improving your app!

AFAIK McMaster doesn't look at ECs. And reapplying doesn't hurt you in Canada.

Might as well try.