Applying to Canadian or Australian dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so what is the actual process for apply to schools in australia-what do they look for..etc

and did they make a decision about the reciprocal agreement with the US?

Members don't see this ad.

so what is the actual process for apply to schools in australia-what do they look for..etc

and did they make a decision about the reciprocal agreement with the US?

there's currently 9 dental schools in Australia.
There's no centralized application. You should look into each dental school's website for more detail.
Some dental school are post secondary entry (5 year)
Some are post graduate entry (4 year)

Does any one here have any info on AUS dental schools? for example, i really want to know if its harder to get into AUS vs US schools (i am a canadian student).

does any one have any info on the differences for acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
so what happens if I go to dental in australia and want to work in the US? what would be the process there? I live in canada and will probably work here but I was just wondering.. thanks :)

so what happens if I go to dental in australia and want to work in the US? what would be the process there? I live in canada and will probably work here but I was just wondering.. thanks :)

unless the rules change, u will be treated just as any international (non north american) trained dentist

I was wondering how dental school in Australia are financed by Americans/Canadians? Do they have the same opportunities to take out loans through FASFA and get Federalized Stafford Loans etc as students who attend in the US? Or do they have to take out privatized loans? And since it seems to cost about $60,000 US a year to attend one of these schools, it would seem to me that getting privatized loans would be difficult. Any in sight would be awesome, thanks

I was wondering how dental school in Australia are financed by Americans/Canadians? Do they have the same opportunities to take out loans through FASFA and get Federalized Stafford Loans etc as students who attend in the US? Or do they have to take out privatized loans? And since it seems to cost about $60,000 US a year to attend one of these schools, it would seem to me that getting privatized loans would be difficult. Any in sight would be awesome, thanks

Presently the tuition at sydney is $50,400 a year. Because the school is outside Canada, and due to the fact that you get almost two months off at the end of the year, OSAP will give you around $9K a year. IF you show your as long as you show your confirmation of enrolment to any major bank in CAnada, you will not have any difficulty in being able to get between 150K - 200K for a student line of credit. THe rest you get from friends and family, or have your parents take out a line of credit

Presently the tuition at sydney is $50,400 a year.

the tuition has been increased by about additional 6% each year. So better include it when doing financial planning.

Can anyone confirm that USyd will be going through with the BDent -> DMD change?

Does anyone think that the current 50k/ year tuition will be changed (increased drastically) to reflect this (and Melbourne's tuition)?

True.. However... Australia and Canada just signed a reciprocal accreditation agreement just like the one Canada has with the United States. So, as a Canadian it doesn't matter if you attend dental school in Canada, Australia, or US. It's all equally accredited and will allow you to practice in Canada.

I think cost for many people is a very important factor to consider.

Would this be true if an American studied in Aussie and then reciprocated back to usa? Is that possible?

I only applied to US schools.... But im interested in applying to schools in Canada. How do I go about it? Is it difficult to get accepted if your a US resident? obviously this is a last resort but iv been told to look at every option!!

I only applied to US schools.... But im interested in applying to schools in Canada. How do I go about it? Is it difficult to get accepted if your a US resident? obviously this is a last resort but iv been told to look at every option!!

Each school has a separate application. There's no AADSAS equivalent. Some schools applications are dead simple (ie. U of T and UWO) since it's basically just filling out a form and sending a transcript and fee. For those schools there is no consideration of letters, extracurriculars, dental experience, etc. It's a pure numbers game. That drives the average GPA needed for an interview way up (for U of T it's about 3.85 OMSAS and for UWO they do it by percentage and it's about 86-87% cutoff.. not sure about the average). Keep in mind that U of T drops your worst year as long as it's not the most recently completed year of study (ie. if you're in 4th year, it can't be your third year) and UWO uses your best two years of undergrad, regardless. U of T will not penalize you for non-full-course load, but UWO will (no one knows how big this penalization is).

Also interviews are standard CDA-style. 6-7 behavioural/situational questions. I interviewed at UWO last year and they asked questions like "Your employer has assigned you and a colleague to work on a sales project. You are eager to get started but you find your coworker's attitude to be very negative. What do you do?" (This is not a question I received, as I'm not allowed to release those. It's a generic example I came up with.) You can answer the questions however you want but generally the interviewers want you to speak for at least 5 minutes on each question.

The general consensus is that it requires significantly higher stats to get into a Canadian school than many U.S. schools, even more so if you are an international student.

Check each school website for details, as there is no central application process. Each school requires different materials.

This is a pretty good summary page with info on Med/Dent schools across North America:
http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php/Main_Page

I just got off the phone with the ADA, they were emphatic: there are no plans under consideration to recognize Aussie schools.

Hey everyone! Im a 4th year student with a biomed major and i want to apply to australian schools. Im considering a 5th year to boost my gpa as well and i have not yet written the DAT. My cgpa is a 3.3. Do i have a shot?