Applying to Dental School and Freaking Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadelineJay9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kinda behind in the whole process to applying to Dental School. I know it may seem as though I am a slacker, but I am not. Life has happened. So now I am barely starting to study for the DAT with hopes of taking it in August. I hope to have finished my application before hand so as soon as I take my DAT I can immediately submit my application. I know everyone says to APPLY EARLY, but am I really at a disadvantage if I apply in early August? I have a 3.52 GPA and I hope to do well on the DAT and make at least 20.

Please let me know what you think. I'm really anxious. This is all pretty stressful.

I would appreciate your honesty and comments!

Members don't see this ad.

This time last year I had not started studying for the DAT or writing my personal statement. I took the DAT first week in Aug and my application was complete the last week of school. I began receiving a number of interviews within weeks and was accepted to all the schools Dec 2. AKA you're fine!

This time last year I had not started studying for the DAT or writing my personal statement. I took the DAT first week in Aug and my application was complete the last week of school. I began receiving a number of interviews within weeks and was accepted to all the schools Dec 2. AKA you're fine!

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying early pretty much means before the first round of interviews are sent out, which is generally in late august at the earliest. Applying anywhere between 1st-7th batch I'd say is "early."

My application was not completed and received by the schools until August 23.
But then a little more than two weeks later, I got my first interview invite.

we have all been where you are now. it is incredibly stressful. we all managed, and you will too

For the letters of recommendations, have you guys heard of letter banc? Or have used it?

For the letters of recommendations, have you guys heard of letter banc? Or have used it?

Is this something your college is making you use? If yes, then ask your advisor. If not, then just use Interfolio.

lol but you have a 3.9 and 22 DAT. sorry for being nitpicky, but you aren't really the same applicant he is.

OP you should read these. These guys were in similar shoes are you. Just apply broadly and do well on your interviews : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ts-wrong-with-my-stats.1071667/#post-15253997
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chances-please-be-honest.1072840/

Last edited:
So I'm kinda behind in the whole process to applying to Dental School. I know it may seem as though I am a slacker, but I am not. Life has happened. So now I am barely starting to study for the DAT with hopes of taking it in August. I hope to have finished my application before hand so as soon as I take my DAT I can immediately submit my application. I know everyone says to APPLY EARLY, but am I really at a disadvantage if I apply in early August? I have a 3.52 GPA and I hope to do well on the DAT and make at least 20.

Please let me know what you think. I'm really anxious. This is all pretty stressful.

I would appreciate your honesty and comments!
IM in the same boat as you! Taking DAT first week of August and worried that i'm late!

Well @distressstudent I was trying to provide encouragement to people in a similar situation as I. Last year one of my good friends and I were both debating rather to take the DAT at the end of May or prepare the best we could and take the test in August. I waited, they did not. My friend ended up getting a 17 on the DAT and had a 3.3 GPA. The person then had to wait 90 days took the test again in September got an 18 and had an acceptance on Dec 2. Since that time they have received 2 more acceptances. Although you may argue that @MadelineJay9 and I are not in the same boat I would suggest the boats are pretty close. Good Luck Madeline, let me know if you have any questions:)

Reactions: 1 user
Apply 6 weeks prior to taking the DAT as the application takes 6 weeks to process, so by the time the DAT scores are sent to the schools, they receive the application as well

Apply 6 weeks prior to taking the DAT as the application takes 6 weeks to process, so by the time the DAT scores are sent to the schools, they receive the application as well

DAT timeline is closer to 2-3 weeks and application varies by when you submit it but likely won't take 6 weeks either.

DAT timeline is closer to 2-3 weeks and application varies by when you submit it but likely won't take 6 weeks either.
Really? An AADSAS representative was the one to tell me that. Very peculiar. Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend you at least fill out your apps as you study for the DAT. Think of it like this: when you get tired of studying, you can mindlessly fill out your app. It doesnt take much brainpower to put your name and your address does it? ;)

I promise you its not that long and it's not that hard (leave out the personal statement at fist ofocurse). After you are done with the app (this will motivate you), now in your free time, think about, write personal statement. And along the way, make sure your letters from profs/dentists are in as well. I strongly recommend having your app complete the day you take your DAT's or a week after you take your DAT's and submit it, even before your scores are in the file. So whenever the test scores come, they will be fed into your file and your app will be completed by that date. But from your end, your app should be ready to go and submitted the day the DAT scores come into your profile.

To motivate you, I know an almost exactly similar applicant get into Tennesse Dental school this year with the same 3.5ish GPA like you and 18 on the DAT. Their scores were somewhat low in most of the sections and they submitted the app in August and still got in Dec 2nd. You should still aim high but just know you have a chance. Most dental schools care about GPA over the DAT and you have that 3.5 GPA which will help you immensely. You can do it! Pray for me that I can do it as well, I am a reapplicant :)

I know there are some people that submit late, even with average stats, and get in... but this is NOT the norm. If you don't take the DAT till August, your scores won't be processed till mid-late August, and you're really cutting your chances a ton. Tbh, you should try taking the DAT in early-mid July (at the latest) to help you out... unless you have a really good GPA and are confident you will ace the DAT.

Well @distressstudent I was trying to provide encouragement to people in a similar situation as I. Last year one of my good friends and I were both debating rather to take the DAT at the end of May or prepare the best we could and take the test in August. I waited, they did not. My friend ended up getting a 17 on the DAT and had a 3.3 GPA. The person then had to wait 90 days took the test again in September got an 18 and had an acceptance on Dec 2. Since that time they have received 2 more acceptances. Although you may argue that @MadelineJay9 and I are not in the same boat I would suggest the boats are pretty close. Good Luck Madeline, let me know if you have any questions:)

Thank you so much for your help! :)

you have a 3.52 GPA? That is amazing and perfect. You have a great chance of getting accepted. I sent in my primary application in late June and took my DAT mid July. Everything worked out for me.

I know there are some people that submit late, even with average stats, and get in... but this is NOT the norm. If you don't take the DAT till August, your scores won't be processed till mid-late August, and you're really cutting your chances a ton. Tbh, you should try taking the DAT in early-mid July (at the latest) to help you out... unless you have a really good GPA and are confident you will ace the DAT.
can you define "good GPA"? Im taking my DAT in early August and im really worried that im screwing myself over. I have a 3.65 overall and 3.55 science GPA. It's not great but im hoping to kick a$$ on the DAT - aiming for a min. of 22-23 in all sections.

Still freaking out here!

can you define "good GPA"? Im taking my DAT in early August and im really worried that im screwing myself over. I have a 3.65 overall and 3.55 science GPA. It's not great but im hoping to kick a$$ on the DAT - aiming for a min. of 22-23 in all sections.

Still freaking out here!
I can see why you are freaking out, with applying late and all. But honestly, your GPA is well above the majority of the "mean GPA" for schools. With a solid score on your DAT I think you shouldn't worry. You have 2 months before it so make sure to prepare for it! Your GPA, while excellent, could mean very little if you rock the DAT. That alone could get your foot in the door. Your GPA would just act as reassurance at that point.

Still freaking out here!
All u have to do is go out there and get a 22-23 on each section now... As easy as that is..