Applying to dental school? Maybe? Maybe not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nopho4u

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, All!

I am a current second year chemistry major at UCI and am going to graduating one year early. I was wondering if applying to dental school this year would be advisable or if I should apply next year once I graduate. I will be taking the DAT in 2 months and have been taking several practice tests. I've been averaging around 22 PAT, 24 QR, 21 RC, 20 BIO, 25 GC, 26, 19 OChem (have not finished studying Ochem but will soon).

Schools I would love to attend: Western, UNLV, UCSF, USC

STATS:
University: UCI
GPA: 3.455
Science GPA: 3.5
Volunteer and paid hours as a dental assistant: 630 (and counting)
VP of student-run free health clinic
Research (1 year and counting)
Misc. Extracurriculars.

I'm mainly posting because my GPA is slightly below average for most dental schools in my area (California) and I am younger than most of my peers and have been told that applying as a young applicant might be seen as discouraging to dental schools because of maturity (currently 18, would be applying/interviewing at 19 if I applied this year). I was just wondering what the SDN community thinks of my circumstances right now because I am in a pit in deciding whether or not I should apply this year or take a gap year after graduating next year. Thanks in advanced and best wishes to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are totally fine, assuming you score well on the DAT. You have a nice well balanced application in the making. But, you cannot possibly assume what to do/where to apply to when you have not taken the DAT yet, it's just such a big component of your application. Saying you're going to do well is something everyone does, until they don't do as well as they had hoped. Now with that said, if you do score well then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't apply.

On the other hand, a gap year is a nice break in between your undergrad/dental. I am taking a gap year so I can do things I want to do before time becomes excessively scarce in dental school, travel, party, etc. Making a little bit of money is also nice, considering I did not work through undergrad and struggled when it came to be able to afford things. My sister, who went straight into med school after undergrad, always stressed how she wished she took a gap year, as many of her peers did and were fresh(er) entering their studies. I don't really know much about all that age crap, but if your application is impressive then schools will see that, regardless of age. I have many friends who went into d-school with the 3+4 program at my university, but that was through a formal process.

Reactions: 1 users
What practice tests are you taking? You should maybe move your test date up, a couple more weeks for orgo practice and then take it. As far as your question do whatever. If you only want the gap year to avoid the age issue I think that's an overstated worry. You should go ahead and apply. If it's because you want to go have other experiences you should take that year.

You're in a great position if you went straight you'd be 24 when you were done. That's an amazing luxury to have. You could potentially have your loans paid off in your early 30s and have the rest of your 30s (still very young) to enjoy life with the money to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply. If you don't get in then it will be because of your youth and the fact that those a bit older may have that one intangible that you dont have yet because the GPA and DAT look good.

Greetings, All!

I am a current second year chemistry major at UCI and am going to graduating one year early. I was wondering if applying to dental school this year would be advisable or if I should apply next year once I graduate. I will be taking the DAT in 2 months and have been taking several practice tests. I've been averaging around 22 PAT, 24 QR, 21 RC, 20 BIO, 25 GC, 26, 19 OChem (have not finished studying Ochem but will soon).

Schools I would love to attend: Western, UNLV, UCSF, USC

STATS:
University: UCI
GPA: 3.455
Science GPA: 3.5
Volunteer and paid hours as a dental assistant: 630 (and counting)
VP of student-run free health clinic
Research (1 year and counting)
Misc. Extracurriculars.

I'm mainly posting because my GPA is slightly below average for most dental schools in my area (California) and I am younger than most of my peers and have been told that applying as a young applicant might be seen as discouraging to dental schools because of maturity (currently 18, would be applying/interviewing at 19 if I applied this year). I was just wondering what the SDN community thinks of my circumstances right now because I am in a pit in deciding whether or not I should apply this year or take a gap year after graduating next year. Thanks in advanced and best wishes to you all.

Crush the DAT and don't worry about your age. The fact that you're so young is an asset, not a detriment. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise.