Applying to dental school without taking any physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobbyl13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that 2 semesters of physics is listed as a prereq so in other words: it can be completed at any time before entry into dental school.
This means that it doesn't have to be completed before applying.
However, do dental schools have any bias toward students who have completed all their core sciences (chem, bio , physics) completed before applying?

I currently plan to apply at the end of junior year and complete both my physics courses senior year just because I think physics is difficult. Should I take both physics junior year instead?

Would really appreciate advice from people who have been in a similar situation!

Members don't see this ad.

doesn't matter. apply away. Most people do this.

Yeah, take physics your senior year. Thats the last thing you need to worry about getting done before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that 2 semesters of physics is listed as a prereq so in other words: it can be completed at any time before entry into dental school.
However, do dental schools have any bias toward students who have completed all their core sciences (chem, bio , physics) completed before applying?

I currently plan to apply at the end of junior year and complete both my physics courses senior year just because I think physics is difficult. Should I take both physics junior year instead?

Would really appreciate advice from people who have been in a similar situation!
As long as your grades are great, no.

If your grades suck, especially in the prereqs, adcoms will question your ability to handle physics and the ability to handle dental school courses.

The physics course (Algebra based, which is what is needed for pre-professionals) was a joke at my undergrd. Easist A in my entire life. And I suck at math.

I didn't take physics before applying, and I'm glad. I got accepted and now I can go through physics on cruise control!

lol so ik this musta been awhile for you but im in a similar boat right now. I will onyl be missing physics2 when i apply this summer. How did things end up for you?

Hey you sound like me! I just scheduled physics for my senior year and will be submitting my application this summer.
lol so ik this musta been awhile for you but im in a similar boat right now. I will onyl be missing physics2 when i apply this summer. How did things end up for you? how many places did you get interviews at?

where did you get interviews and acceptances? also what were your stats if you dont mind sharing
My app was complete late August/early September. Applied to 11 schools, received interviews at UOP, Western, and NYU. Accepted to UoP (my top choice), waitlisted Western, and declined my NYU interview. Still haven’t heard from 5 schools.
3.49 gpa and 19AA/20TS

Reactions: 1 users
My app was complete late August/early September. Applied to 11 schools, received interviews at UOP, Western, and NYU. Accepted to UoP (my top choice), waitlisted Western, and declined my NYU interview. Still haven’t heard from 5 schools.
3.49 gpa and 19AA/20TS
thank you so much for sharing and congrats on getting into your top school! when did you hear back for interviews? also did you happen to apply to rutgers? cause thats my top choice

Reactions: 1 user
thank you so much for sharing and congrats on getting into your top school! when did you hear back for interviews? also did you happen to apply to rutgers? cause thats my top choice
Thanks man! All of mine were post december interviews. No I didn’t apply there but it’s a great program.

Reactions: 1 user