Applying to DO after a Carib-MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchusmle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - I graduated from the Carib, applied for match and didn't match. My board scores were fine for Family Medicine (the specialty I applied to). But I was not competitive enough 'cus I'm a visa-needing applicant.

Now, I'm considering going for a WAY more competitive specialty, where DOs typically have success. So I am reapplying for Match this year (with a green card).

A little bit about my history: I'm 29 years old - was a royal screw up in ugrad the first time around & tanked my GPA to a 2.3. My MCAT first time around was 37, and I'm pretty sure I can repeat that again. If I redo my ugrad courses, I'm sure I can get a 4.0 without too much difficulty. AACOMAS will replace the courses, from that perspective, I am happy.

The good part about me: since I went carib, I've got 2 years of USCE working in underserved NY hospitals as a medical student. My clinical grades were good. I also intend to practice in underserved areas and I have a pretty strong commitment to underserved areas.

If this is a possibility, I am interested in applying to DO schools... So...? Could this happen for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys - I graduated from the Carib, applied for match and didn't match. My board scores were fine for Family Medicine (the specialty I applied to). But I was not competitive enough 'cus I'm a visa-needing applicant.

Now, I'm considering going for a WAY more competitive specialty, where DOs typically have success. So I am reapplying for Match this year (with a green card).

A little bit about my history: I'm 29 years old - was a royal screw up in ugrad the first time around & tanked my GPA to a 2.3. My MCAT first time around was 37, and I'm pretty sure I can repeat that again. If I redo my ugrad courses, I'm sure I can get a 4.0 without too much difficulty. AACOMAS will replace the courses, from that perspective, I am happy.

The good part about me: since I went carib, I've got 2 years of USCE working in underserved NY hospitals as a medical student. My clinical grades were good. I also intend to practice in underserved areas and I have a pretty strong commitment to underserved areas.

If this is a possibility, I am interested in applying to DO schools... So...? Could this happen for me?
Here is a DO program you might qualify for: a fast-track 3 year program to become a family doc: http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/academics/accelerated_do/accelerated_do_home/

The same institution has a 3-year program for foreign trained MDs:
The New York College of Osteopathic Medicine at the New York Institute of Technology offers a three-year program for physicians trained in other countries. However, those physicians still must complete an internship, as must any graduate of a U.S. osteopathic medical school. In addition, residency program training is strongly recommended. All other U.S. osteopathic medical schools require that foreign medical graduates complete the same four-year educational program as other American osteopathic medical students. Completion of an internship is required to practice in any state, and completion of a residency program is strongly recommended.
You'll need to do some research to find out all the requirements. Here is a start: http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/admissions/emigre_physician_program_epp/

Are you currently trying to get a SOAP spot through the NRMP by Friday?

Last edited: