Applying to MD/PhD from PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HHPaSta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my dilemma... I have always wanted to go to Medical school, and looking to improve my application I started doing research. I was very prolific and ended up with several publications, did two summer programs at a top 5 school and had a lot of fun at the lab. Then I came upon the idea of doing the MD/PhD and it sounded like a perfect fit. Well I foolishly took the MCAT with just a few days of preparation and basically bombed it. The coordinator of an MD/PhD program suggested me to apply to a PhD program first and then apply to MD/PhD so I did and was accepted into an excellent graduate program. The kicker is that April 15 is the deadline to accept or decline their offer, and I feel no matter what I do I will be shooting myself in the foot. If I accept I may have less chance of being accepted. If I decline, I will be rejecting an excellent program plus lose time (im in my mid twenties), no one guaranties I will be accepted into such competitive program etc.

Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my dilemma... I have always wanted to go to Medical school, and looking to improve my application I started doing research. I was very prolific and ended up with several publications, did two summer programs at a top 5 school and had a lot of fun at the lab. Then I came upon the idea of doing the MD/PhD and it sounded like a perfect fit. Well I foolishly took the MCAT with just a few days of preparation and basically bombed it. The coordinator of an MD/PhD program suggested me to apply to a PhD program first and then apply to MD/PhD so I did and was accepted into an excellent graduate program. The kicker is that April 15 is the deadline to accept or decline their offer, and I feel no matter what I do I will be shooting myself in the foot. If I accept I may have less chance of being accepted. If I decline, I will be rejecting an excellent program plus lose time (im in my mid twenties), no one guaranties I will be accepted into such competitive program etc.

Any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!

We kinda need more info. Know that if you do decide to go to med school, you may still be several years out from matriculation. Being good at and interested in science is a rare gift, IMHO. Most people THINK they like research until they actually do it. If you actually enjoy it and are good at it, you may later regret giving it up for med school. I have seen this happen- a fellow grad student of mine always wanted to go to med school. After completing his PhD and a short post-doc, he was accepted (in his early 30's) to med school. After his 3rd year he quit- he did not like the regimented lifestyle and automaton thinking required to be a good med student. It just wasn't what he'd envisioned, and after those 3 wasted years he is now back to being a post-doc for the same PI.

Now MD/PhD is an interesting idea that ideally combines you two interests. I can't knock it since I did it; but know you will be very old before you finish your training, and it is very competitive... see a thread from a few weeks ago where this was discussed....

Have you considered the possibility of deferring admission to the graduate program for a year? You could retake the MCAT & apply for the 2012 cycle. If you do not gain admission to MD-PhD programs, you can enroll in the PhD program. If a deferral is not possible, you might want to decline the offer. If you were competitive for admssion to an excellent PhD program this year, my guess is that you will be competitive to similar PhD programs next year. You are basically wagering a year of your life that you can get into the MD-PhD. If you lose that wager you can go to grad school a year older. I know that you are eager to get started, but from the perspective of many more years under the bridge, 12 months is not a big deal.

I generally look somewhat askance at applications from individuals currently in PhD programs, particularly those who took an MCAT earlier but did not apply to our program. My thoughts usually go something like this: "Did they previously applt to MD programs, not get in, and went to grad school as a backup? Are they truly interested in research, or is it just something they are doing to strengthen their med school application? Grad school is, after all, like a job. You get a moderate, but livable, salary, health care, some free food, and intellectual stimulation. It is almost being a barista at Starbucks. Oh well, I have hundreds of other applications where I do not have to try to figure out the individual's motivation. I'll pass on this one." If you are on deferral from a PhD program, I will have no way of knowing that. You look just like many MD-PhD applicants, who may be late bloomers or take time after undergrad working in a lab to make sure that research is what they want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The coordinator of an MD/PhD program suggested me to apply to a PhD program first and then apply to MD/PhD so I did and was accepted into an excellent graduate program.

I wonder who this coordinator was? Maybe they misunderstood your situation or you misunderstood their advice? My advice would be entirely the opposite. PhD programs are easy to get into, but hard to move to med school from. Thus, my advice would have been the following.

Generally, do not start the PhD unless you plan to spend the 5+ years completing it and with a realistic plan for after the PhD (i.e. not I'll figure it out later). If you have strong interest in medical school, know that leaving grad school or applying from grad school will seriously impair any ability to attend medical school later. If you do complete the PhD, you will have to retake the MCAT, score 30+ like anyone else, and expect to pay full price for medical school. Thus, if you have strong interest in medical school, take the extra time needed to apply to MD or MD/PhD now. It will be better for you in the long run if you want to be a physician, assuming you can get in.

As for the MCAT, my general advice is 3 months of about 3 hours a day of studying. Don't take it unless you can take a full practice exam and score what you're looking to score on the exam (~35).