Applying to MD/PhD programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlknslrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduating from a small liberal arts school with 2 degrees, Biocehmsistry & Molecular Biology and Health Science. I have been going back in forth for the past year whether or not I want to go PhD or MD/PhD but I decided I'm setting the next two years aside to prepare for an MD/PhD program (not MSTP). I have a 3.53 GPA. I've done research at my school for one semester but have an internship at a highly respected cancer center in Philadelphia which I should get a publication from. Otherwise I don't have any. I'm currently trying to get a job as a research tech. I know I still have to get clinical experience and community service which I'm planning to do. I was wondering if I should get an MS or just prepare well for the MCATs. Also if I should just find shorter research positions to get pubs from or will a job be better. Any information or advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

You need a more sustained research experience (aim for at least 2 yrs if not more). This could come from an MS, research tech (you'd have to have your own project(s)), an R&D type of job, etc. Publications are always a plus but not a necessity.

Take the time necessary to get a strong MCAT score, especially in your case (GPA-wise). Aim for a score in the (90th-95th+ percentile).

Get the necessary clinical exposure to show the adcoms that you want to be a physician, not just a scientist.