Applying to MD schools, but shadowed a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mollysdad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member and currently finishing my AMCAS application. The only physician shadowing experience I have is with a DO, who has said he will write me a recommendation letter.
My question is: should I add this shadowing in my AMCAS work/activities section and submit a letter from him to AMCAS? Since I haven't shadowed any MD's, I am worried allopathic schools will wonder if my interest is solely in DO programs...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and ASAP as I need to submit my primary app! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am a new member and currently finishing my AMCAS application. The only physician shadowing experience I have is with a DO, who has said he will write me a recommendation letter.
My question is: should I add this shadowing in my AMCAS work/activities section and submit a letter from him to AMCAS? Since I haven't shadowed any MD's, I am worried allopathic schools will wonder if my interest is solely in DO programs...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and ASAP as I need to submit my primary app! Thanks :)
Letters of recommendation (LOR's) from shadowed physicians are generally thought to be of little impact unless the writer has known you for a long time and can speak meaningfully about your character.

That said, (and while that may in fact be your case) unless either of you talks at length about your devoted interest in observing him/her perform OMM/OMT, I would be surprised if MD programs cared one way or the other. A physician is a physician, and 99.9% of the time in practice, MD = DO.

In short, this is probably a non-issue and you're good to go with adding your shadowing experience and letter to your application.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for your reply, I feel better about including it in my application since it is my only shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your reply, I feel better about including it in my application since it is my only shadowing experience.

I also think it's not a big deal. I shadowed mostly MD's, but I shadowed a DO gastroenterologist and a family practice doctor because the opportunities arose. They were great experiences, and in no way different from any of the time I spent with MD's. No matter who you shadow with, you're getting exposure to patient care and seeing firsthand what the work life of a physician is all about...don't hesitate to include it on your app, and you'd be crazy if you left it off.

Get the letter still if you're applying DO as well, but only for the DO schools. Most DO schools require a letter from one you've shadowed, while most MD schools couldn't care less about a shadowing letter.

DO schools care about having DO shadowing experience much, MUCH more than MD programs care that you shadowed an MD, especially at more clinical/community oriented programs. A strong letter from a DO who knows you is head and shoulders above a mediocre MD letter.

Although I do agree that DO schools care more about a shadowing letter (b/c many, if not all DO schools require a letter), I wouldn't write off having one for allopathic schools as being unimportant. When I applied my very first time (and was on the WL but never accepted) my interviewer pointed out that he would've liked to have seen more interaction with physicians. I had plenty of hospital volunteering and community service, but I had never shadowed a physician extensively. Fast forward to last cycle and I had a good number of hours shadowing different physicians and a letter of rec from a DO. I was accepted, with my DO letter, to an allopathic school. So, it doesn't matter if the doctor is a DO or MD, a physician rec letter is a physician rec letter. If he/she can write a good one, you should definitely include it!

A physician is a physician, no matter if MD or DO. As long as you've shadowed him (and hopefully for a while), then you should have a good LOR.

Heck, we have DOs that teach us for our bioethics and basic sciences.

Thanks for all your input! The DO I shadowed was wonderful and answered many questions I had about medical school and residency. I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic, which is why I originally sought out a DO. I've contacted several MD's, including my own primary care doctor, and have been turned down every time. Has anyone else found that DO's are more receptive to shadowing?

Thanks for all your input! The DO I shadowed was wonderful and answered many questions I had about medical school and residency. I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic, which is why I originally sought out a DO. I've contacted several MD's, including my own primary care doctor, and have been turned down every time. Has anyone else found that DO's are more receptive to shadowing?
And please everyone, let's not turn this thread into an MD vs. DO flame war.

Not much of a sample size.