Applying to med school while doing post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am little confused about the timing for applying to med schools while attending a post-bac program. I would like to start my post bac in year 2004 (looking at one-year program), and go on to med school 2005 (if I make it). Does that mean I need to apply to med school in June next year? If I apply to med school next year, this means that my post bac grades are not available yet. I am a little confused about how the system works. Can someone please clarify this for me? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lilith,

Hopefully I can help you out here. I applied for entrance into the class of 2007 (thus the class would start in 2003) after graduating from undergrad in 2002. Therefore, you would be correct in applying in 2004 for entrance in the class of 2005. Just as if you were to apply in the beginning of your sr. year of college if you were not going to do a post bacc, you will need to update your grades to AACOMAS to the time you apply then continually update them throughout the application process. I sent transcript updates to the school I was waitlisted at after the grades were posted each quarter. It's a pain, but if you're trying to show that you do well in graduate level courses updating regularly will be helpful. I am not sure if you're doing a post-bacc leading to a master's or not -- but if you're going to do any course work post-bacc it will be worth going towards the degree.

Good luck.

Hi Forensic Chick:

Thank you for your helpful information. At this point, I prefer to attend an one-year post-bac as opposed to a two-year. I guess my problem is that I don't have very strong GPAs. I am afraid that if I apply to the schools while doing my post-bac, I would be weeded out in the first round before I can send them updates on my grades. I guess I should try anyways. Thanks again. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Lilith,
When are you planning to take the MCAT?

Hi HollyJ:

I am taking it in two days. (kinda nervous).

Good luck on Saturday!

This year will be a little bit of tough sledding, but you can still apply. You'll be on the later end of the applicants and the adcoms won't have any of your postbac grades, so you might have trouble if your undergrad was pretty low. As FC said, you can always send along the grades as you get them, but you won't have your first set until December, when most of the interviews will be finished.

I suppose it depends on a) how low your undergrad grades really were; if they will put you below the cutoffs, you'll be out of luck, b) how you did in the prereq classes (I assume you've already done those?), and c) how you do on the MCAT.

Good luck!

Thanks HollyJ for your reply. My GPA is not that impressive. ~3.4 Overall, and ~3.2 BCPM (mixes of A's and C's). I hope this puts me above the cut off line. I am not apply to post-bac program this year by the way. I am shooting for entrance to post-bac program next year. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the test this Saturday. Are you in a post-bac program already? Have a great weekend! :)

Oh, okay. I was a little confused. :)

Eh, a 3.4 isn't that low. Your science grades might be an issue, but there's no harm in giving it a shot.

Just be aware that you won't get the admission benefit from your post bac until the next year's application cycle. You'll have a much better shot the year after, so don't get discouraged if you don't swing it the first time. If you rock the MCAT, though, you've probably still got a decent shot.

I'm finishing up my pre-reqs as a post bac, but I'm not in an official program. I'm applying right now, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck HollyJ!!!