Applying to Medical schools in Western and Eastern Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roaringtiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with applying to medical schools in Western and Eastern Europe? Whiat is the quality of the schools and how are they viewed in the US for residency? The big plus about the schools in Europe is that some schools in W Europe are almost free (you need to be fluent in the native language though like German) and the ones in Poland and Czech republic are typically 1/3rd the costs.

How difficult would it be to obtain residency in US after attending programs in W and Eastern Europe? Anyone care to share their personal experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here have any experience with applying to medical schools in Western and Eastern Europe? Whiat is the quality of the schools and how are they viewed in the US for residency? The big plus about the schools in Europe is that some schools in W Europe are almost free (you need to be fluent in the native language though like German) and the ones in Poland and Czech republic are typically 1/3rd the costs.

How difficult would it be to obtain residency in US after attending programs in W and Eastern Europe? Anyone care to share their personal experiences?

Eastern European medical schools are like the Caribbean Med schools of Europe.

Just as hard as it is for other international students...I was thinking of it for a while but never could speak to anyone with enough experience to make that decision. I'm sure if it was very easy more people would do it.

No personal experiences, but know my dad's psych went to school in France, currently has his own practice (in the states) and is head of neurology or something. Not sure if he came to US for residency or moved over here mid-career. Makes >$500k annually, though so I'm sure he didn't have much trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eastern European medical schools are like the Caribbean Med schools of Europe.

False.

Schools in Europe have been around a lot longer than those of the Caribbean. A lot of students from the middle east and all over Europe go to these schools.

It is only recently that places like Ireland, England, Poland have become hot spots for medical school.

I know a few doctors in the US who went and came back to the US for residency. They said they had to pull off great USMLE scores, and I know two of them are in internal medicine, and one's a psychiatrist (they all do pretty well in the states).

False.

Schools in Europe have been around a lot longer than those of the Caribbean. A lot of students from the middle east and all over Europe go to these schools.

It is only recently that places like Ireland, England, Poland have become hot spots for medical school.

My cousin goes to school in Bulgaria. From what I hear, it does not "feel" like a medical school.

My cousin goes to school in Bulgaria. From what I hear, it does not "feel" like a medical school.

That's because they have 6 year programs in Bulgaria, Italy, Greece etc.

They don't learn much until 5th and 6th year. And their residency is primarily for expanding their limited clinical knowledge.

price - DEFINITELY worth the consideration -

residency matching back in the US - more difficult, but still possible- I met a few surgeons that did just fine, although many end up staying in Europe since they like it more (fewer hours, better environment, etc). You can practice anywhere in the EU btw.

personally, med school in Poland in my back up plan for the price, location, and good reputation.

price - DEFINITELY worth the consideration -

residency matching back in the US - more difficult, but still possible- I met a few surgeons that did just fine, although many end up staying in Europe since they like it more (fewer hours, better environment, etc). You can practice anywhere in the EU btw.

personally, med school in Poland in my back up plan for the price, location, and good reputation.

no you can't unless you have EU citizenship, its hard to obtain a job if you don't have citizenship and EU is strict on that. But if you do then yea you will be fine.

So is anyone here applying to schools in Europe or other foreign destinations?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's because they have 6 year programs in Bulgaria, Italy, Greece etc.

They don't learn much until 5th and 6th year. And their residency is primarily for expanding their limited clinical knowledge.

Well, to be fair, that's how it is in the US also. "Limited clinical knowledge" could be written on the tombstone of nearly every M4 the day after graduation.

easy thing, the richer the country the better the training

no you can't unless you have EU citizenship, its hard to obtain a job if you don't have citizenship and EU is strict on that. But if you do then yea you will be fine.

true - i assumed the applicant would have some ties to an EU nation (ie dual citizenship). You can apply for citizenship in some countries its just another hoop to jump through.

What on earth does that mean? My English school has been around for a couple of centuries, the degree titles are in latin at half the schools! How is that recent?

I am a freshman in an American college who wants to go to medical school in Europe, particularly France. I am on the pre-med program, Biology major.

I am wondering if French Medical schools offer MD degrees or just Bachelor's in medicine. If they don't offer MD's, what European countries do?

Also, How does the process work for getting into a medical school in France?

The reason why I want to do this is that I want to live in Europe, it is my main long-term goal. So, I was thinking whether or not it would be more prudent if I got my MD in the US and then move to Europe after medical school and start practicing as a doctor there. Could I do this? Or is it better that I attend medical school in Europe instead? If the latter is the better choice, then should I transfer in my sophomore year to a European university as a medical student or go to med school from there after I get my Bachelor's in the US?

Now, I have heard a bit of Le Concours, the exam that French med students must take after their first year. Also, I don't fluently speak French, but i can get around.

If I decide to attend med school in the US, getting my MD here, then how does the process work for getting my MD recognized by countries in Europe, like France? How do I apply for recognition of my MD degree?

I appreciate anyone who can enlighten me.

I am a freshman in an American college who wants to go to medical school in Europe, particularly France. I am on the pre-med program, Biology major.

I am wondering if French Medical schools offer MD degrees or just Bachelor's in medicine. If they don't offer MD's, what European countries do?

The reason why I want to do this is that I want to live in Europe, it is my main long-term goal. So, I was thinking whether or not it would be more prudent if I got my MD in the US and then move to Europe after medical school and start practicing as a doctor there. Could I do this? Or is it better that I attend medical school in Europe instead? If the latter is the better choice, then should I transfer in my sophomore year to a European university as a medical student or go to med school from there after I get my Bachelor's in the US?

Now, I have heard a bit of Le Concours, the exam that French med students must take after their first year. Also, I don't fluently speak French, but i can get around.

If I decide to attend med school in the US, getting my MD here, then how does the process work for getting my MD recognized by countries in Europe, like France? How do I apply for recognition of my MD degree?

I can't comment on what's the appropriate process for getting into a European university, medical school, or medical practice (given your current circumstances should you continue with your current undergrad program).

I believe most medical school programs in France are 5-year undergrad programs that you enter after finishing high school/lycée. After the first year, students take a huge standardized test that they are required to pass in order to commence second year; those who fail (a fair percentage, from what I've heard) are allowed to repeat the first year and the exams, but only once- after that, you're locked out of practicing medicine but can pursue studies and a vocation in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, etc.

IMO, if you're intent on moving to Europe in the future, it's probably safer to get your MD here and practice for some time before thinking about moving. I'm not sure how many institutions over there acknowledge the American M.D degree. Also, if you're not fluent in French, it will be quite difficult to get around since I don't think any of their medical schools carry out their instruction bilingually; I'm fairly fluent but wouldn't feel comfortable trying to learn everything in French.

hey my freind as u asked for personel experince from eastern europe also
m 5th yr student in ukraine
and i want to tell u that ukraine russia bulgaria poland romania
all are same in their level of standard of studies
meanwhile bulgaria nd romania gonna be schengen countries from jan 2012 dis is the only benefit
ukraine is very much cheaper for its eduction cost
and living expensise(if not living lewis/lavis)
fee is aroung 3500 usd for bachelors nd 5000usd per anum for masters
aroung 3000-5000 usd will be normal living expense.
hope i cleared any of you doubts..i can be contacted via mail if any specific query
happy to help

In France after first year in med school you take a brutal exam which eliminates appr. 85-90% of the students to other branches, like dentistryi, physiotherapy etc.. and picks only 10-15% of them to the second year.. so in general its a serious discussion whether to have med education in France, or to graduate from another one and take the licence exams in France.. its a personal choice.. by the way there is no tuition in France.. its totally free! of course you pay for little things, but no tuition fee..

Also another consideration is debt.. is it a good idea to have your med education in US with a huge cost? If you consider to "be able to work in US" now or someday(may be you wont find what you think in Europe, or you will have some reasons to turn back), then its always the most safe way to have med edu. in US.. if not, is there other high quality med schools in Europe? In Germany most of them known as good.. but in Europe you need always the native language.. also German schools are demanding.. excellent GPA and excellent German are prerequisites.. they are free as well :)

There are inexpensive schools in E-EU countries btw.. but the quality of education? I cant make comparison.. but the bests look to be Semmelweis/Hungary, Jagiellonian/Poland, Charles/Czezh.. Warsaw and Debrecen are good as well.. among them only Warsaw doesnt have California Med Board approval..

Ah-ha! By the way, if you have BS and come to Europe later, you can have a seat in 4 year programs, otherwise mostly you will be limited with 6 year programs option..

AkaVonk hi, may I ask, why Ireland? I mean why Irish med school? What were your reasons?
Thanks..

Partly due to the timing of when I was applying- I didn't pick a good or extensive list of schools the first cycle I applied and didn't get off any waitlists. Was taking a year off to build up for this year's app cycle, but heard about the Atlantic Bridge program and opted to pursue this route since I didn't want to spend another year waiting around. The state I live in has few in-state options for MD or DO, plus I'd also heard various stories of fellow classmates stuck on waitlists at state schools who over-enrolled their fall 2011 classes. One of my friends even mentioned that his state school had sent out requests asking accepted individuals if they'd consider deferring for another year.

While I don't know what might have happened if I'd waited and applied this summer (had an improved GPA since the first AMCAS I sent in, along with various EC's, shadowing, and post-bacc classes), I spent some time deciding and balancing the advantages/disadvantages of going to Ireland vs waiting another year.

Some personal considerations came into play, but overall, it came down to:

a.) taking an offer at a school in Ireland and accepting the costs of studying abroad along with the challenges of graduating as an IMG

and

b.) the cost of 1 year off + no guarantee of getting into my state school, and possibly paying higher tuition for some other out-of-state school or private institution

c.) not getting in anywhere at all

I decided option a.) was preferable. PM me if you want more details.

So is anyone here applying to schools in Europe or other foreign destinations?
I'm looking, but the year after this one (I'm graduating in 2014)....There are many great schools. In the Caribbean the main ones I'm looking at SGU, SABA, ROSS and AUC....also, UMED and Xavier are good too.....in England, I think there is an SGU also....but I'm not really sure about more schools in England....I think there's another there, St. Tristan's (I think)....I'm a Canadian student, so I'm not sure whether I have to take the SAT's to get into these schools, as majority of them are based in the US....Does anyone know?