Applying to MOT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2run

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I will be applying to an MOT program soon and am currently taking prerequisites for it. Is anyone currently in an MOT program, and if so, where do you go and how is it? How difficult was it to get in (what is a decent GRE score/GPA) and what can help your admissions chances? Also, did you get financial aid such as scholarships and grants? I noticed that many of the schools are three years or nine quarters long and are expensive, and I am wondering as a recent college grad how I will be able to afford graduate school. I am applying to MOT programs on the west coast. I have not started volunteer work yet but will be starting soon, most likely working at a children's clinic, in the public schools, and in a nursing home. Is anyone else planning to apply to an Occupational Therapy program?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi luv2run,

I am about to start my second (and last) year of my MOT program at SJSU. The program is excellent...highly educated, experienced, and caring professors who teach in a hands-on way. Also, it only costs about $2,000 a semester so that's a plus. Many of the students also receive financial aid and/or loans.

The minimum GPA is 2.8, and the minimum GRE score is 1000 (in verbal and math combined). There was no interview for admission. 100 volunteer hours are required though, but this experience will come in handy during your courses. Let me know if you have any other questions, k?

~delightx81 :)

where do you go and how is it? How difficult was it to get in (what is a decent GRE score/GPA) and what can help your admissions chances?
similiar curiosity here, anyone with specific info re LSU in New Orleans? :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi delightx81,
Thanks for responding to my message. San Jose State University is one of the schools I am considering. However, as an out of state resident my tuition will be over $5,000 a semester and I will need to pay for room and board. I am a little concerned about the 100 hours of volunteer work, because the application is due October 1st and is the first application I will be submitting. Is it easy to find places to volunteer? I called a local rehab facility and they told me they only have physical therapists. I emailed a local nursing home and got an out of office reply - they will return in August. Then I emailed a children's clinic the day before yesterday and have not received a response. I am worried that I will not be able to find places to do my volunteer hours. Where did you volunteer and most of the time are occupational therapists willing to work with a volunteer? :confused:

Hi luv2run,

I am about to start my second (and last) year of my MOT program at SJSU. The program is excellent...highly educated, experienced, and caring professors who teach in a hands-on way. Also, it only costs about $2,000 a semester so that's a plus. Many of the students also receive financial aid and/or loans.

The minimum GPA is 2.8, and the minimum GRE score is 1000 (in verbal and math combined). There was no interview for admission. 100 volunteer hours are required though, but this experience will come in handy during your courses. Let me know if you have any other questions, k?

~delightx81 :)

Hey luv2run,

I am a little concerned about the 100 hours of volunteer work, because the application is due October 1st and is the first application I will be submitting.

The application period for San Jose State actually OPENS August 1st, and the deadlines are: Feb 2008 for the master's program and April 2008 for the BS/MS combined program. Also, you only need to complete 50 hours or more before applying; you need to complete the full 100 hours before enrolling in the fall, so you still have a lot of time.

Is it easy to find places to volunteer? I called a local rehab facility and they told me they only have physical therapists. I emailed a local nursing home and got an out of office reply - they will return in August. Then I emailed a children's clinic the day before yesterday and have not received a response. I am worried that I will not be able to find places to do my volunteer hours. Where did you volunteer and most of the time are occupational therapists willing to work with a volunteer? :confused:
I volunteered at a private pediatric clinic first. I heard about it from a friend, and we just walked in and signed up. I did 80 of my hours there, and most of the OT's loved showing me what they do. I volunteered a couple of times a week for several months, and two of them ended up writing me letters of recommendation. I did the remaining 20 hours at an adult day care center. The OT's scheduled times for me to come in when they would be doing activities with the patients.

Do you have any OT schools in your area? If so, I would contact a faculty or staff member and ask them for leads since they probably send student interns to local facilities all the time. If not, just keep calling private clinics, hospitals, mental health facilities, hand therapy clinics, adult day care centers, skilled nursing facilities, etc...don't give up, you have plenty of time. Btw, it's good to volunteer at just one or two places in order to build a rapport with the OT's and patients. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hello,

I will be applying for MOT at IUPUI for the class starting Fall 2008. I am currently completing prereqs (Bachelor's in General Studies with a focus in Behavioral & Social Sciences). Now this particular school only requires 12 hours of observation in order to apply. You have to divide them up among three different settings. I did my first one at the local hospital's outpatient Peds clinic. I have a second one set up for First Steps. If you have a local First Steps program, you should give them a call. They are usually really accommodating about letting students observe, as are hospitals. For my third one, IUPUI recommended that I try a nursing home or acute rehab unit in a hospital. Just some ideas for you.

Lisa

Hey luv2run,

The application period for San Jose State actually OPENS August 1st, and the deadlines are: Feb 2008 for the master's program and April 2008 for the BS/MS combined program. Also, you only need to complete 50 hours or more before applying; you need to complete the full 100 hours before enrolling in the fall, so you still have a lot of time.

I volunteered at a private pediatric clinic first. I heard about it from a friend, and we just walked in and signed up. I did 80 of my hours there, and most of the OT's loved showing me what they do. I volunteered a couple of times a week for several months, and two of them ended up writing me letters of recommendation. I did the remaining 20 hours at an adult day care center. The OT's scheduled times for me to come in when they would be doing activities with the patients.

Do you have any OT schools in your area? If so, I would contact a faculty or staff member and ask them for leads since they probably send student interns to local facilities all the time. If not, just keep calling private clinics, hospitals, mental health facilities, hand therapy clinics, adult day care centers, skilled nursing facilities, etc...don't give up, you have plenty of time. Btw, it's good to volunteer at just one or two places in order to build a rapport with the OT's and patients. Good luck!
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I was wondering if you could identify the private pediatric clinic. I assume that you're possibly around the San Jose area. I'm also from the Bay Area and I've been looking for places to shadow/volunteer for my OT hours. Can you help me out? Do you know of any other places? Should I send out some cover letters? Thanks!!!