Applying to multiple specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOJEDI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in both IM and FM. I like both in-patient and out-patient. I am a third year student now and I am torn between these two specialties.

Is it okay to apply to both programs? Of course, I won't apply to both programs at the same institution. That would look bad I know. Do PDs know that you applied to multiple programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in both IM and FM. I like both in-patient and out-patient. I am a third year student now and I am torn between these two specialties.

Is it okay to apply to both programs? Of course, I won't apply to both programs at the same institution. That would look bad I know. Do PDs know that you applied to multiple programs?
Yes you are allowed to apply to both. But there are areas where these fields don't overlap at all (OB, peds) so you probably should know based on the non overlapping areas if you prefer one over the other. And if you do have a preference, why not go whole hog for that one? These aren't overly competitive fields where you need a backup (assuming you are AMG).

i applied this year in 2 completely different specialties. For a few hospitals I applied to both specialties. A risk for sure.

It can be done. You'll want separate LOR's for each specialty, or be sure that your letters are generic. And you'll need a different PS for both, or it needs to be generic. And you need to make sure that the right LOR's end up at the right programs. There are stories of applicants asking LOR writers for two different letters (one for each specialty), then the writer uploading the letters backwards, so that all programs get the "wrong" letter.

Bottom line: It can be done, risk of screw up is not insignificant, you'll need to go on interviews for both, and if you're applying to IM and FM you're better off choosing one and sticking with it. You can do outpatient or inpatient medicine from either (in general).