Applying to Neurology this upcoming cycle and had a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirkFor3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title says, I'm applying to neuro this upcoming cycle and had a couple of quick questions:

1) How many neuro recommendation letters should are required? I've talked to people who have said one and others who have said two. Right now, I'm planning on doing a Neuro elective in July/August so hopefully I'll be able to get one there, but I may have to do more if I need to get another one (also have two IM letters already so the neuro one would potentially be the third and final one unless I need another one).

2) Is it better to take October or December off for interviews? I am currently planning on taking November off for interviews aalready, but I was also going to take off another month and figured I'd ask on here to see if anyone had any advice. The thing I'm playing around with is it would be nice to take October off because I was planning on doing both CK/CS in that month, but I figured picking off when I'm more likely to have interviews would be a smarter decision.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Two neuro is better than one but you should be fine with just one. Try to get two though. And I think it's always good to have an IM letter in there.

2) I think you'd be fine scheduling most of your interviews for October/November. Personally, I did four in October, four in November, two in December, one in January (didn't get the invite here until almost Christmas). There will be some places that don't even offer you an October date so just make sure to snatch up any that do, and also realize that it'll probably be inevitable that you'll have to go on a couple in December.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app