Applying to Optometry for Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAUeyes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I will be applying for optometry school this summer for Fall class 2016. I have a 3.53 GPA but have yet to take my OAT. I am currently in the Kaplan course and set to take the test at the end of June. I would like to make myself more competitive then just scores on a paper. What else can I do to really solidify my chances! I will be applying to Midwestern, MCPHS, Southern, Southern California and Pacific. Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm also about to enroll in a Kaplan course and plan to take OAT end of June or July. I know that optometry schools would love it if you shadowed the different practices of optometry, such as clinical vs. commercial. Also if you have the time, shadow an ophthalmologist to show you know the difference between the two careers. Best of wishes and good luck :)

Hello!

I will be applying for optometry school this summer for Fall class 2016. I have a 3.53 GPA but have yet to take my OAT. I am currently in the Kaplan course and set to take the test at the end of June. I would like to make myself more competitive then just scores on a paper. What else can I do to really solidify my chances! I will be applying to Midwestern, MCPHS, Southern, Southern California and Pacific. Any tips would be great!

Thanks!
Pacific likes to see a high OAT score, very good writing essays, and shadowing several optometrists at different locations.

After you make the cut on paper, schools want to know that you are a responsible, well-rounded person. Don't worry if you haven't worked for an OD, or been trained as an optician. Those things are neat, but not necessary.

In my experience, Pacific was the most concerned with non-academic qualities, at least compared to the other schools I visited.