Applying to Podiatry School on May 29, 2014!!!????....for Fall 2014. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor9891

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to all 9 schools today. I literally submitted 3 hours ago. Was it a mistake to apply this late in the cycle?
My stats that I am estimating are
3.3 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA
MCAT-22

My grades are yet to be verified.

I appreciate good constructive advice. Can anybody speak from experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously pretty late in the game, but probably some schools have some spots left- most likely the bigger ones (Kent, Scholl, Barry, Temple, NYCPM). You got a chance since your grades/MCAT are not that bad (sGPA is a kinda low and MCAT is just below average for the bigger schools) - and if you don't get a position this year, then next year is the option. Good luck!

You could have definitely saved some money by asking around to see which schools are filled up. Thee ones that do have spots though are probably scrambling to fill them so you have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
which do you think have spots?
I have an interview tomorrow at temple and I am hoping i can get it in, and hear a response early. I haven't heard many people getting rejected/waitlisted from temple once they get an interview

I think you have a very good shot at temple tomorrow. Though I didn't interview there I'm pretty sure they still have spots open. Good luck to OP and audilover!

Well thanks for the support. I just had a shock today! I got an email saying "We cannot process your application because you have failed to report one or more colleges/universities that you attended. Your Texas A & M transcript indicates you attended Escuela Kukulcan.

In order for your application to be considered complete, you are required to report all colleges/universities attended, even if these institutions were attended while you were still in high school or were part of a dual-enrollment agreement between two of the institutions. You must correct your application by adding the unreported foreign institution and the corresponding coursework.

Your application has been undelivered in order for you to have access to it."

I looked online and it said they still need a transcript even though it was a foreign institution. It also said the transcript had to be verified through another third party first and then sent to them. Online they said it could take a couple of weeks.

I WAS FREAKING OUT!! All this to say I called immediately when I saw that and all I had to do was add the school and the coursework even though it would not count towards my GPA.

I guess what is done is done. Well if I get an interview and/or acceptances I will be sure to share, so that future pre-podiatry students can see that it either can or can't be done this late.

I guess the general consensus is there is a chance and don't give up hope yet, but next year is the backup plan.
Crossing my fingers.

UPDATE: Grades verified.... guess my GPA calculations were off.

They say 2.82 sGPA and 3.08 cGPA

They say my application will be sent off at 5pm today.

Please keep us posted! I'm rooting for you.

Gig'em and good luck

More Aggies interested in podiatry!!! This makes me happy. Gig 'em!

Reactions: 1 users
which do you think have spots?
I have an interview tomorrow at temple and I am hoping i can get it in, and hear a response early. I haven't heard many people getting rejected/waitlisted from temple once they get an interview
The schools with spots left are probably the ones with the largest class sizes. Schools such as Temple or kent.

Obviously pretty late in the game, but probably some schools have some spots left- most likely the bigger ones (Kent, Scholl, Barry, Temple, NYCPM). You got a chance since your grades/MCAT are not that bad (sGPA is a kinda low and MCAT is just below average for the bigger schools) - and if you don't get a position this year, then next year is the option. Good luck!
Barry has 67 seats total, I wouldn't really consider it a "bigger" school.

Also you are below average in both GPA and MCAT for basically every school, if you get an interview that's great but I would prepare for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well while I am waiting let me ask. Nobody here knows 100%, but what do you think my chance(out of 100) are for getting in? Just give your honest opinion.
My guess right now is 25%...because I write killer personal statements!

On a side note I called every school and asked how many spots were left. This is what they told me:

Arizona:2 spots
DMU: only interviewing for alternate list
Scholl: 80% filled
Temple:"Very few", but the lady was so rude. I suspect she may have been not too well informed.
Barry:NO ANSWER!!! REALLY??? AND NO RETURNED CALL.
Kent:10 seats available out of 125
New York:Little more than 80%
Western University (Pomona, CA):80% full
California Samuel Merritt (Oakland);FULL and not reviewing crap anymore. They just go straight to the garbage.

Kent, Scholl, New York, and Pomona are the real possibilities out of 9 schools. Possibly Barry if they would answer a phone.

So I could have saved some money applying to all nine.

Nonetheless what percent chance?

I am not sure who you tried contacting in admissions at Barry, but an Amy in Admissions posted her contact details in another thread recently:
"Please, if anyone has any questions or would like to speak to some of the students feel free to contact me at 305-899-3123 or on my cell at 305-458-9373."
Maybe that might help to have that direct line.

Wow an incredible turn of events!

I have at the time only been officially denied from 2 schools, Temple and CSPM. Both of these schools were full when I started though.

I have yet to hear back from Kent or AzPod.
The good part, last week I interviewed at 4 different schools:Western on Monday, Barry on Tuesday, NYCPM on Wednesday, and Scholl on Thursday!!!
Unbelievable right? I have already heard back from Western and they offered me a seat.
I have already heard back from Barry and they have offered me a seat.
NYCPM and Scholl have not responded, but I am anticipating them following suit.
I really have my heart set on Scholl. I will know more from those two schools by the 3rd of next.

I received and interview for an alternate position at DMU, but denied it.

My advice: To anybody looking to make a fresh start....It is possible. If you apply with subpar stats and get an interview, PREPARE!
Once you have the interview, dress to impress, be clean, and know everything about the school before the interview.

Has anybody seen the new facilities at Scholl? They look really nice when I took the tour. That is one of the biggies that I am wanting Scholl. Are there any skeletons in Scholl's closet? I want to see the whole picture and not choose a school for superficial reasons.

I interviewed at Scholl early March and got accepted mid-June (I was placed on hold until my new MCAT came in. After it came in, I was accepted 3 days later!). I kept in touch with admissions over the past few months and I can chime in how many seats were left. Early May had 27 seats left. Mid-June had 10% seats left. My GPA and MCAT were similar to your's, but the GPA's were just a few pts. below. You can make it in as long as you left a good impression. Best of luck!

Just graduated from Scholl. They've made some necessary faculty changes which have really made things a lot better in my personal opinion. The quality of education will be very good, especially when you get into the podiatric medicine courses in the 2nd and 3rd years. Dr. Robert Joseph DPM, PhD was one of the recent hires and he is a hell of a teacher and a leader. Lectures nationally and is well connected in the profession. We still have Dr. Stephanie Wu DPM who is well known for diabetic wound care but she focuses more on clinical research than teaching. So that's two high profile professors/attendings affiliated with the school.

Dr. Joseph having control of the curriculum in the 2nd and 3rd years was the best thing the school has ever done. Clinic during your basic science years will be slow as it is not that busy but you will get PLENTY of clinic experience during the mandatory podiatry rotations you have to do during the second half of your 3rd year and all throughout your 4th year. My class had a 96% match rate for residency programs and we passed part 1 and part 2 of our board exams with a 100% pass rate (after the retake both times). Things are going in the right direction. Good luck.
This makes me very excited for POD schools, we need more posts like this!!!

Update: Interview for seat at Kent for July 2nd. This was my number 1 choice until they didn't reply for a month. I'm still waiting for Scholl. I haven't put down my deposit to Barry.

I will be able to make the absolute best decision possible tomorrow after the interview.

Thank you Ankle Breaker. I would be ecstatic if I got into Scholl.
But torn...If I get into Scholl and Kent.
Well this is prior to me seeing the Kent campus.

Update: Interview for seat at Kent for July 2nd. This was my number 1 choice until they didn't reply for a month. I'm still waiting for Scholl. I haven't put down my deposit to Barry.

I will be able to make the absolute best decision possible tomorrow after the interview.

Thank you Ankle Breaker. I would be ecstatic if I got into Scholl.
But torn...If I get into Scholl and Kent.
Well this is prior to me seeing the Kent campus.

This is really good to hear!

For one, you're an Aggie. Gig 'Em! I'm guessing c/o '13?

Secondly, it's refreshing to see that someone applying so late was able to get interviews (and acceptances? whatttt!). My MCAT is a bit higher than yours, but both my GPAs are slightly lower. What did your extracurriculars look like? Were you able to shadow a DPM?

It's been about 2 weeks or so - any updates?

I've been trying to find a DPM to shadow in College Station, but there's not a lot of opportunities (for MD and DO either).

(Sorry if this counted as piggybacking / making your thread all about me. Definitely didn't mean to do that!)

I'm sure this information is available, but for whoever is interested, here are the enrollment caps set by the CPME on each school:

Barry University - 67
Des Moines University - 53
Kent State University - 125
Midwestern University - 30
NYCPM - 109
Rosalind Franklin - 98
Samuel Merritt - 48
Temple - 100
Western University 50

Hello All, I have an update. Thanks for the support and encouragement during those touch and go months. (Seriously most stressful time of my life)
I am honestly so eternally grateful for these school giving me a chance to come and visit them. This experience has changed my life forever. I am going to be a PODIATRIST! I am proud and oh so thankful for the opportunity.
Real quick--->seriously couldn't have done any of this without my boo(not that she will ever read this). She hates science...WHAT! Also, God. I needed and still need him the most.

As this is a long post it is meant to spark a respectful discussion. Hmm what was that we learned in high school?...oh yeah a healthy debate. I do not have all of the answers, nor do I pretend to. Please correct me if I am wrong. To anybody reading...I see the importance in statistics, but I see an even greater importance on what can be deduced from statistics and on life experiences.

I got this in a message from av897494 on 12/3. I hope it this isn't putting more of his/her information out there than they would like. (If so shoot me a message and I will take this post down)

av897494 writes:

Sooo i am lost and wondering if i have a chance. I have a 3.2 gpa and 26 MCAT as of now tons of clincial shadowing experience, voluneteering, research, blah blah blah. I am re-taking my MCAT January 10 and then applying everywhere. In the mean time getting recommendations, writing my statement. What do you think my chances are of getting in anywhere? I really would love NYCPM, please help and let me know your turn out as of now since it is already December! Any advice would be most appreciated

My response: This goes to all who are interested. At this moment I am writing this in reflection of my application process. Even though I never said where I was accepted to av897494 asks me my advice. I will gladly give out advice, as best I can, as others have done for me. Well without further adieu if you look over at my little orangutan you can see it now says Podiatry student. I ultimately received 5 interviews.

1st- Western, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it.-5 Day response time
2nd-Barry, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it.-8 Day response time
3rd-NYCPM,offered me an interview, did NOT offer me a seat-14 Days response time
4th-Scholl, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I ACCEPTED IT!-21 Days response time
5th-Kent, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it-1 Day response time

There are amazing stories associated with each of these interviews and school interactions. I thought when I started this whole journey, "I wasted my money". WHY did I even apply? It was the best $500 spent(or however much it was). I don't even care. This is all my experience and my perception of the process.

As a person who went through all of this my response to you av897494 is don't worry. Of course you can always make your application a little better, but it is hardly necessary to get in. However, if you want to get a scholarship get that MCAT as high as you can. You have the stats. If you have good interviewing skills you will get in to any school that gave me an interview. Practice interviewing. Practice showing passion during your interviewing practice sessions. Literally research each school. Know about current issues relevant to the podiatry profession. I was asked about that stuff at NYCPM. I remember that. I answered well. I know why I wasn't accepted to NYCPM. They asked why I had 2 Fs for physics. My response was the same to every school. I thought that since they were taken at a community college I could just leave that transcript off of my application. I just stopped going and that is how I got the Fs. I didn't know that it would have an effect in the future. It was my mistake. That was the same answer to every interviewer. They all showed sympathy for my genuine misunderstanding of the how those grades would transpire into the future, EXCEPT NYCPM.
2 VERY OLD guys interviewed me. They honestly were traditional. They did very little to make me feel comfortable(not sure if that was a strategy). There were quite a few reasons I decided NYCPM was at the bottom of my list if I was even accepted. I have valid reasons for that and don't feel like I am jaded, but in the end they are my opinions.

Main reason I thought at the time Scholl was the best school for me when compared to other schools:
I am going to stay away from obvious pros and cons which can be seen in the itinerary of the interview day. For example, eating with an actual student vs. eating with a person from the administration. Also all staff and administration was great unless otherwise stated.
Western- Beautiful facility, beautiful city. Good anatomy lab. Not impressed with how HUGE the lecture hall was. It lacked tons of intimacy with the professor. I also noticed out of ~300 students who were in the class about 50 remained after the first 15 minutes of class. They were having a quiz that day, but that has to say something. They weren't getting something by being in class. High cost of living, I guessed it would cost me ~70K per year x 4= 280K and after you add interest...A LOT! The school also does not give scholarships. 1,000$ plus utilities is the cheapest rent around and it is very competitive to get those spots closest to school. Many people commute 15 minutes at least or pay way higher prices than just 1000$(as you will see later this was a big deal for me) You also had to pay for parking and it was a pretty far walk from the parking lot to the school.
1st year(almost 2nd year, since it was in the summer) students stopped me and told me DO NOT COME HERE!!! They went on and on for literally an hour.... <---Not exaggerated......telling me the school is BEYOND hard. They said the founder is trying to essentially trying to make it the "Harvard" of podiatry schools. I met the man, Dr. Harkless. He was an amazing man! Truly inspirational. Just do the tiniest amount of research and you will see I am not the only person who thinks this. Okay back to the day....Walking out of this interview, before running into these two students, I knew without a doubt I wanted to go here. I didn't care about the price, which was high. These students changed my mind. The conversation went on for an hour because I had to play detective. I had to determine: how smart are these people? Are they lying for "some" reason? Do they seem trustworthy? Did they present good things about the school as well? Would they be saying "how hard it is" no matter where they went to school? They both gave me their contact info. Here are a couple things they told me. Half of the people are going to have to remediate in some capacity the first year, ie. 1 failed class over the summer retaken, 2 classes failed makes you remediate entire year, and 3 failed you are kicked out. They said the highest grade on the first test was a 70% and the guy I was speaking to said he got that grade. They said bonus points were given in an arbitrary manner CAUSING people to fail. (The way it would cause the students to fail is if they were given a huge curve for one test and none for another, just inconsistency I figure). That point was brought to my attention a few months ago when I had this conversation. I can't remember exactly how he explained it. They also admitted this problem had most likely been resolved, so that it could be prevented from happening to the next year's class. Of the two students one of them said he was at the top of his class and the other girl said she failed two classes, requiring her to remediate the year. She said she was going to take a year off and apply to another podiatry school. They basically said there is no foundation with this school. The school itself is very new. It hasn't gotten all of it's growing pains out of the way and in the mean time students are paying the price for this. The two student told me that there was no time for anything other than school. LIKE NO TIME!!! They explained the curriculum and how the podiatry students are given the exact same work as the DO students except with the exception of the musculoskeletal manipulation. They said it was all of that curriculum plus the extensive clinical time/podiatry specific classes necessary for the podiatry students. They said that this was not at all comparable to the DO's musculoskeletal manipulation curriculum, with respects to time required. They stated that going to school at Western is a near impossible task and you will be MISERABLE if you go here. Zero free time if you want to pass the curriculum. They also said that the professors do not teach to the boards. This would cause major problems when preparing for boards if true. Last point, I read this here on SDN, so mind the source, the school is able to have such a high board pass rate(was 100%, not sure what now) by essentially weeding out the students who would not be able to pass boards by failing the student(or the students failing themselves when put up against a near impossible task;however you want to think of it).

Okay that last point is something that opens up other issues such as some schools are taking in students who are under qualified. You may be thinking well they took me, FutureDoctor9891, I will return to this point. Schools that have a curriculum that can be passed, but the students' pass rate on boards are low, are schools who are taking a students money(35-50K, tuition only). Thieves. I respect what Dr. Harkless, Founder of Western Podiatric Medical School, is doing. He is trying to raise the standard. Even though it is a competition between schools we need to raise the national board pass rates. If we want parity with MDs and DOs this is a step in the right direction. If MD and DO students' pass rates are 95% for national average, then Podiatry students need to be just the same.

Barry-First and only school to give me a scholarship. $6,000. So grateful for that! It showed me that not only do they want me to go to their school, but I was more than welcomed. My self-esteem was really down and that helped my confidence a lot! I won't forget it. It was a very nice gesture, regardless of their motives. Positives about the school, campus is very pretty with green grass, red sidewalks, and architecture of (a couple of)the campus buildings. The weather was great. Only a few minutes from the beach! That seemed to be a point they didn't want you to forget. They also stated that you would actually have time to go to the beach. This was unique from my first interview at Western. Western made no mention of free time or what you can do if you ever have any. This is something that you want to watch out for when you are at the school. Just wait and see if they bring up. It will give you an idea of the rigor of the curriculum. (End of pros)
Barry is separated into a Barry University campus and Barry Podiatric Medical School. It is not even near walking distance, besides you would not want to go walking in this neighborhood. The podiatric school has a chain linked fence going around the entire parking lot. Okay I will speak bluntly. It looked trashy. I know it was for added protection from the community that lived in the area, but then again I would rather not need it to begin with. The landscaping was not kept up on the podiatric school property. I know this is way on down the future but eventually my family would go to the campus that I graduate from,coming all the way from Texas. I don't want them seeing this. I will admit that last one was being nit-picky, but I want to be proud of the campus and not have to steer my family away from certain parts. Biggest con was that everything was ancient inside. What I mean is things looked like they were falling apart. I bet the desks in the main lecture classroom were older than the desks my dad used as a kid when he was in school. So serious. The anatomy lab was teeny tiny. The instructor was set up for an anatomy practical in the lab and had about 12 bodies layed out in preperation for the examination and some other bones on tables. 30 total tagged structures, I would estimate. Point is, that was probably one of those tests where you didn't want to miss hardly any because each was worth so much. There were less opportunities to learn in the end at Barry. Less resources, smaller lab, and old desks that could just be a red flag for things to come. They said the technology was up to date in classrooms. That I can not comment on, since I didn't see it and no further information was given on the specific technologies. Last con for Barry, who comes up with this tuition in the 3rd and 4th year? It peaks(this is to the best of my memory) at the 4th year at 75-80K that includes living expenses. That is just a scary number to see on paper. What they have done is add in traveling expenses for residency rotations. No other school adds that or even advertise that that is a reality for ALL 4th year podiatry students. Other schools don't show that to prospective students. It makes the total cost of 4 years sky rocket up there with the west coast schools. You can look at that as a positive or negative, although I would take that number with a grain of salt. Living expenses are higher as well in Miami. The administrative lady told us an efficiency costs around 600$, I believe. An efficiency would suck for 4 years and at 600$ plus utilities it isn't reasonable. Barry's web site is lacking very much. I remember that from when I was researching all those months ago and I am reminded now when I try to find the breakdown of their tuition.

As a side note DO NOT go to a school that requires attendance in class or one that does not have a recording system for past lectures. As I just finished writing that sentence, I remember being told that most or all schools record lectures.

NYCPM-
So I already hit on this a little. I will say I was warned that I could go anywhere except NYCPM, but at the time I was going where I could get accepted, so I flew from Miami to NYC. I know I may sound like a tourist for a second, but it is important to know, so you can understand why I made certain decisions. I have only ever been to southern states in my life, well the highest north was colorado during the summer. NYC was breathtaking. I actually saw the Statue of Liberty from the plane. I am fairly "street smart" in that I can find my way around easily. I also don't get intimidated by things I don't understand(hints why I'm going into medicine). I was also ready for new experiences, new surroundings, and to be more globalized, even though I was still in the US. The school was in what seemed like a decent part of town. Harlem. It sounded scarier than it actually was. I even went out to a restaurant at night time, the Harlem Shake. Got a burger and shake. (In case you ever go, great atmosphere, small burger, and bad quality milkshakes.) The school was older, obviously it is NYC. It isn't very presentable, just looks old. The student housing may or may not have openings (competitive). If it does it will cost $1000 including utilities, if I remember correctly. That great, but a gamble for housing. I had just stayed the night at a piece of crap B&B for 160$. My thought process was if I get stuck without getting the student housing I will be paying a lot for a crappy place. I also assumed since it was NYC it would be a small place wherever I stayed. I wasn't a big fan of living in a tiny box, just like at Barry for the efficiency. This school was the only one that I felt had a TRUE gait analysis lab. I was very impressed. The rest was stairs, small spaces, and all of the interior of the building old looking, staff was very old. It didn't feel like a school. We also were not able to see the lecture rooms on the tour. That's pretty important. I really liked that we didn't eat with a student ambassador or admission staff. We ate with a student. I felt like this gave us the truest depiction of what we could expect as students. As mixed as my feelings were about NYCPM I didn't like how I was being addressed during the interview. It was very formal. They asked a question. I would give my response and they would just STARE at me....and wait....It was an awkward silence. I was waiting for them to respond. They didn't, so I thought they wanted me to elaborate after I had stated my whole point/opinion/answer. I began to try to fumble words together thinking, "What do you guys want?" It was not a conversation like my other interviews. It did leave a bad taste in my mouth or so to speak. The interviewers truly made me feel unwelcome. All of the staff there was old. I didn't like the bus system either. Coming from Texas I drive my car everywhere. That was one thing that was hard for me to grasp. No car for me, essentially. I was warned, "Do not go to NYCPM. Anywhere but there. They just have a reputation for putting out sub-par doctors. This was someone else's opinion. I would say this is unsubstantiated pass rate of 96%, with a final pass rate of 100%, 100% residency placement.

Scholl:
Obviously I chose here. Not because it was perfect, but because it felt like my school. Cons:Financial Aid Department freaking sucks soooooo bad. To this day they are the rudest people and take forever to get back to students. Other schools have in depth financial aid sessions. Scholl did not. It was very superficial. Numbers on pamphlets were not up to date. When I asked a question I was told "that" information was on their website. I wanted to say look lady if I wanted to look on your website(which I had already done) I could have stayed in Texas and saved my time and money. The weather, no matter what it is, is unimportant to me. A pretty big con was that they said they do not match scholarships. I was trying to get them to give me a scholarship matching Barry for $6,000. They said no. That just made me feel not as wanted.
Pros of Scholl vs. all other podiatric medical schools. Scholl in the cheapest. Living here is the cheapest. I pay 400$ per month for rent, utilities, and internet. I live in a nice large room. Now my girlfriend is moving in with me. That wouldn't really be an option if I lived in an efficiency. I also live about a 4 minute drive from school. I am also 15 hours from home if you drive the speed limit. In other words I can drive home if I wanted to. The anatomy lab is enormous! Being in a larger class has little effect, either good or bad. Okay, so I didn't know this when I started here but, the staff is amazing. Every teacher, in my honest opinion, is invested in your success. They either really care or they are getting a big incentive to fake like they care. That was a little joke* The thing that made me decide I wanted to come here was the scholarship opportunity. 24 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year students who apply and have a GPA of at least 3.4 can be a recipient of a scholarship for half tuition for the following year. If you work hard then, this is money in the bag. You can only get this one year. This was my thinking. Still it makes the school the most affordable along with the cheap living expenses. There were also a few other scholarships that caught my attention. This school was by far the nicest looking of the schools I had seen. Just impeccable.

Kent- Cons were meal plan was forced on students. Automatically students had to pay for a food meal plan. Why? It may have only been $500-$1,000, but why can't the students just use their cash. Same difference right? They also said if you didn't use them you would lose them. Financial aid was fairly unintelligent, but very nice and eventually was able to answer all of my questions. All other schools need to take a note on customer service skills from this welcoming admission staff. A big concern for me was living more than 15 minutes away from ANY school I would potentially go to. Independence is the city Kent is in. In Independence, people are rich, signs for advertising businesses(McDonald's) must stay on the ground, and NO APARTMENTS. It is a city ordinance. Are you kidding me? I then learned the nearest "safe" apartments are more than 15 minutes away. My time is precious. Every minute I spent away from Texas I wanted it to be working toward a bigger goal. Driving that much was a big turn off. Also rent was around $800 plus utilities. The lecture hall has a slowly descending floor to the stage, so I did not feel as though every seat was equal. I quite enjoy the stairs and sitting higher up in the middle of the screen(like at the movie theater).

Pros-lots....It would pretty much tie with Scholl on the looks, but you have to understand it is an old bank. They are still in the process of updating it on the inside. The outside is great, very pretty. I really liked the doctor's office simulation layout. I suppose there really isn't anything too special about it, but even when we go to the one here at Scholl I think I am going to that one. That one just made an impact on me. The anatomy lab is large and my favorite part; you aren't in the dark basement. Kent also agreed to match my scholarship in the amount of $6,000. Once again, I felt wanted. There are windows. I was really torn between Scholl and Kent and when I calculated gas, rent, tuition, and scholarships I realized either would make me happy. Kent seemed to have a tight knit class. It was only podiatrists there. They in a way get babied, since they don't share facilities with anyone else. Kent was where the residency director, of the residency I want to attend, went to.
3 things sealed the deal for me: I was dreading a more than 15 minute drive each way to and from school.
The scholarship opportunity in Scholl made it the cheaper option.
The rent made it a cheaper option.

The schools are equally ranked in my book. Scholl is just nicer, newer, bigger, and cheaper.

av897494,
I say to you, write a killer personal statement! Dominate the MCAT! Submit your application! Practice interviewing! Interview! Acceptance!
Believe me I understand the stress. Oh and by the way it has only just begun. Best of luck.
I don't know if I answered your question, but if you have any specific ones or something I didn't address feel free to ask.

Reactions: 3 users
Awhh I was leaning towards going to Western but now I am starting to rethink it. I guess its back to the pros and cons board. Thank you futuredoctor for such a thorough post! I messaged you for more information though haha

Hello All, I have an update. Thanks for the support and encouragement during those touch and go months. (Seriously most stressful time of my life)
I am honestly so eternally grateful for these school giving me a chance to come and visit them. This experience has changed my life forever. I am going to be a PODIATRIST! I am proud and oh so thankful for the opportunity.
Real quick--->seriously couldn't have done any of this without my boo(not that she will ever read this). She hates science...WHAT! Also, God. I needed and still need him the most.

As this is a long post it is meant to spark a respectful discussion. Hmm what was that we learned in high school?...oh yeah a healthy debate. I do not have all of the answers, nor do I pretend to. Please correct me if I am wrong. To anybody reading...I see the importance in statistics, but I see an even greater importance on what can be deduced from statistics and on life experiences.

I got this in a message from av897494 on 12/3. I hope it this isn't putting more of his/her information out there than they would like. (If so shoot me a message and I will take this post down)

av897494 writes:

Sooo i am lost and wondering if i have a chance. I have a 3.2 gpa and 26 MCAT as of now tons of clincial shadowing experience, voluneteering, research, blah blah blah. I am re-taking my MCAT January 10 and then applying everywhere. In the mean time getting recommendations, writing my statement. What do you think my chances are of getting in anywhere? I really would love NYCPM, please help and let me know your turn out as of now since it is already December! Any advice would be most appreciated

My response: This goes to all who are interested. At this moment I am writing this in reflection of my application process. Even though I never said where I was accepted to av897494 asks me my advice. I will gladly give out advice, as best I can, as others have done for me. Well without further adieu if you look over at my little orangutan you can see it now says Podiatry student. I ultimately received 5 interviews.

1st- Western, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it.-5 Day response time
2nd-Barry, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it.-8 Day response time
3rd-NYCPM,offered me an interview, did NOT offer me a seat-14 Days response time
4th-Scholl, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I ACCEPTED IT!-21 Days response time
5th-Kent, offered me an interview, offered me a seat, I declined it-1 Day response time

There are amazing stories associated with each of these interviews and school interactions. I thought when I started this whole journey, "I wasted my money". WHY did I even apply? It was the best $500 spent(or however much it was). I don't even care. This is all my experience and my perception of the process.

As a person who went through all of this my response to you av897494 is don't worry. Of course you can always make your application a little better, but it is hardly necessary to get in. However, if you want to get a scholarship get that MCAT as high as you can. You have the stats. If you have good interviewing skills you will get in to any school that gave me an interview. Practice interviewing. Practice showing passion during your interviewing practice sessions. Literally research each school. Know about current issues relevant to the podiatry profession. I was asked about that stuff at NYCPM. I remember that. I answered well. I know why I wasn't accepted to NYCPM. They asked why I had 2 Fs for physics. My response was the same to every school. I thought that since they were taken at a community college I could just leave that transcript off of my application. I just stopped going and that is how I got the Fs. I didn't know that it would have an effect in the future. It was my mistake. That was the same answer to every interviewer. They all showed sympathy for my genuine misunderstanding of the how those grades would transpire into the future, EXCEPT NYCPM.
2 VERY OLD guys interviewed me. They honestly were traditional. They did very little to make me feel comfortable(not sure if that was a strategy). There were quite a few reasons I decided NYCPM was at the bottom of my list if I was even accepted. I have valid reasons for that and don't feel like I am jaded, but in the end they are my opinions.

Main reason I thought at the time Scholl was the best school for me when compared to other schools:
I am going to stay away from obvious pros and cons which can be seen in the itinerary of the interview day. For example, eating with an actual student vs. eating with a person from the administration. Also all staff and administration was great unless otherwise stated.
Western- Beautiful facility, beautiful city. Good anatomy lab. Not impressed with how HUGE the lecture hall was. It lacked tons of intimacy with the professor. I also noticed out of ~300 students who were in the class about 50 remained after the first 15 minutes of class. They were having a quiz that day, but that has to say something. They weren't getting something by being in class. High cost of living, I guessed it would cost me ~70K per year x 4= 280K and after you add interest...A LOT! The school also does not give scholarships. 1,000$ plus utilities is the cheapest rent around and it is very competitive to get those spots closest to school. Many people commute 15 minutes at least or pay way higher prices than just 1000$(as you will see later this was a big deal for me) You also had to pay for parking and it was a pretty far walk from the parking lot to the school.
1st year(almost 2nd year, since it was in the summer) students stopped me and told me DO NOT COME HERE!!! They went on and on for literally an hour.... <---Not exaggerated......telling me the school is BEYOND hard. They said the founder is trying to essentially trying to make it the "Harvard" of podiatry schools. I met the man, Dr. Harkless. He was an amazing man! Truly inspirational. Just do the tiniest amount of research and you will see I am not the only person who thinks this. Okay back to the day....Walking out of this interview, before running into these two students, I knew without a doubt I wanted to go here. I didn't care about the price, which was high. These students changed my mind. The conversation went on for an hour because I had to play detective. I had to determine: how smart are these people? Are they lying for "some" reason? Do they seem trustworthy? Did they present good things about the school as well? Would they be saying "how hard it is" no matter where they went to school? They both gave me their contact info. Here are a couple things they told me. Half of the people are going to have to remediate in some capacity the first year, ie. 1 failed class over the summer retaken, 2 classes failed makes you remediate entire year, and 3 failed you are kicked out. They said the highest grade on the first test was a 70% and the guy I was speaking to said he got that grade. They said bonus points were given in an arbitrary manner CAUSING people to fail. (The way it would cause the students to fail is if they were given a huge curve for one test and none for another, just inconsistency I figure). That point was brought to my attention a few months ago when I had this conversation. I can't remember exactly how he explained it. They also admitted this problem had most likely been resolved, so that it could be prevented from happening to the next year's class. Of the two students one of them said he was at the top of his class and the other girl said she failed two classes, requiring her to remediate the year. She said she was going to take a year off and apply to another podiatry school. They basically said there is no foundation with this school. The school itself is very new. It hasn't gotten all of it's growing pains out of the way and in the mean time students are paying the price for this. The two student told me that there was no time for anything other than school. LIKE NO TIME!!! They explained the curriculum and how the podiatry students are given the exact same work as the DO students except with the exception of the musculoskeletal manipulation. They said it was all of that curriculum plus the extensive clinical time/podiatry specific classes necessary for the podiatry students. They said that this was not at all comparable to the DO's musculoskeletal manipulation curriculum, with respects to time required. They stated that going to school at Western is a near impossible task and you will be MISERABLE if you go here. Zero free time if you want to pass the curriculum. They also said that the professors do not teach to the boards. This would cause major problems when preparing for boards if true. Last point, I read this here on SDN, so mind the source, the school is able to have such a high board pass rate(was 100%, not sure what now) by essentially weeding out the students who would not be able to pass boards by failing the student(or the students failing themselves when put up against a near impossible task;however you want to think of it).

Okay that last point is something that opens up other issues such as some schools are taking in students who are under qualified. You may be thinking well they took me, FutureDoctor9891, I will return to this point. Schools that have a curriculum that can be passed, but the students' pass rate on boards are low, are schools who are taking a students money(35-50K, tuition only). Thieves. I respect what Dr. Harkless, Founder of Western Podiatric Medical School, is doing. He is trying to raise the standard. Even though it is a competition between schools we need to raise the national board pass rates. If we want parity with MDs and DOs this is a step in the right direction. If MD and DO students' pass rates are 95% for national average, then Podiatry students need to be just the same.

Barry-First and only school to give me a scholarship. $6,000. So grateful for that! It showed me that not only do they want me to go to their school, but I was more than welcomed. My self-esteem was really down and that helped my confidence a lot! I won't forget it. It was a very nice gesture, regardless of their motives. Positives about the school, campus is very pretty with green grass, red sidewalks, and architecture of (a couple of)the campus buildings. The weather was great. Only a few minutes from the beach! That seemed to be a point they didn't want you to forget. They also stated that you would actually have time to go to the beach. This was unique from my first interview at Western. Western made no mention of free time or what you can do if you ever have any. This is something that you want to watch out for when you are at the school. Just wait and see if they bring up. It will give you an idea of the rigor of the curriculum. (End of pros)
Barry is separated into a Barry University campus and Barry Podiatric Medical School. It is not even near walking distance, besides you would not want to go walking in this neighborhood. The podiatric school has a chain linked fence going around the entire parking lot. Okay I will speak bluntly. It looked trashy. I know it was for added protection from the community that lived in the area, but then again I would rather not need it to begin with. The landscaping was not kept up on the podiatric school property. I know this is way on down the future but eventually my family would go to the campus that I graduate from,coming all the way from Texas. I don't want them seeing this. I will admit that last one was being nit-picky, but I want to be proud of the campus and not have to steer my family away from certain parts. Biggest con was that everything was ancient inside. What I mean is things looked like they were falling apart. I bet the desks in the main lecture classroom were older than the desks my dad used as a kid when he was in school. So serious. The anatomy lab was teeny tiny. The instructor was set up for an anatomy practical in the lab and had about 12 bodies layed out in preperation for the examination and some other bones on tables. 30 total tagged structures, I would estimate. Point is, that was probably one of those tests where you didn't want to miss hardly any because each was worth so much. There were less opportunities to learn in the end at Barry. Less resources, smaller lab, and old desks that could just be a red flag for things to come. They said the technology was up to date in classrooms. That I can not comment on, since I didn't see it and no further information was given on the specific technologies. Last con for Barry, who comes up with this tuition in the 3rd and 4th year? It peaks(this is to the best of my memory) at the 4th year at 75-80K that includes living expenses. That is just a scary number to see on paper. What they have done is add in traveling expenses for residency rotations. No other school adds that or even advertise that that is a reality for ALL 4th year podiatry students. Other schools don't show that to prospective students. It makes the total cost of 4 years sky rocket up there with the west coast schools. You can look at that as a positive or negative, although I would take that number with a grain of salt. Living expenses are higher as well in Miami. The administrative lady told us an efficiency costs around 600$, I believe. An efficiency would suck for 4 years and at 600$ plus utilities it isn't reasonable. Barry's web site is lacking very much. I remember that from when I was researching all those months ago and I am reminded now when I try to find the breakdown of their tuition.

As a side note DO NOT go to a school that requires attendance in class or one that does not have a recording system for past lectures. As I just finished writing that sentence, I remember being told that most or all schools record lectures.

NYCPM-
So I already hit on this a little. I will say I was warned that I could go anywhere except NYCPM, but at the time I was going where I could get accepted, so I flew from Miami to NYC. I know I may sound like a tourist for a second, but it is important to know, so you can understand why I made certain decisions. I have only ever been to southern states in my life, well the highest north was colorado during the summer. NYC was breathtaking. I actually saw the Statue of Liberty from the plane. I am fairly "street smart" in that I can find my way around easily. I also don't get intimidated by things I don't understand(hints why I'm going into medicine). I was also ready for new experiences, new surroundings, and to be more globalized, even though I was still in the US. The school was in what seemed like a decent part of town. Harlem. It sounded scarier than it actually was. I even went out to a restaurant at night time, the Harlem Shake. Got a burger and shake. (In case you ever go, great atmosphere, small burger, and bad quality milkshakes.) The school was older, obviously it is NYC. It isn't very presentable, just looks old. The student housing may or may not have openings (competitive). If it does it will cost $1000 including utilities, if I remember correctly. That great, but a gamble for housing. I had just stayed the night at a piece of crap B&B for 160$. My thought process was if I get stuck without getting the student housing I will be paying a lot for a crappy place. I also assumed since it was NYC it would be a small place wherever I stayed. I wasn't a big fan of living in a tiny box, just like at Barry for the efficiency. This school was the only one that I felt had a TRUE gait analysis lab. I was very impressed. The rest was stairs, small spaces, and all of the interior of the building old looking, staff was very old. It didn't feel like a school. We also were not able to see the lecture rooms on the tour. That's pretty important. I really liked that we didn't eat with a student ambassador or admission staff. We ate with a student. I felt like this gave us the truest depiction of what we could expect as students. As mixed as my feelings were about NYCPM I didn't like how I was being addressed during the interview. It was very formal. They asked a question. I would give my response and they would just STARE at me....and wait....It was an awkward silence. I was waiting for them to respond. They didn't, so I thought they wanted me to elaborate after I had stated my whole point/opinion/answer. I began to try to fumble words together thinking, "What do you guys want?" It was not a conversation like my other interviews. It did leave a bad taste in my mouth or so to speak. The interviewers truly made me feel unwelcome. All of the staff there was old. I didn't like the bus system either. Coming from Texas I drive my car everywhere. That was one thing that was hard for me to grasp. No car for me, essentially. I was warned, "Do not go to NYCPM. Anywhere but there. They just have a reputation for putting out sub-par doctors. This was someone else's opinion. I would say this is unsubstantiated pass rate of 96%, with a final pass rate of 100%, 100% residency placement.

Scholl:
Obviously I chose here. Not because it was perfect, but because it felt like my school. Cons:Financial Aid Department freaking sucks soooooo bad. To this day they are the rudest people and take forever to get back to students. Other schools have in depth financial aid sessions. Scholl did not. It was very superficial. Numbers on pamphlets were not up to date. When I asked a question I was told "that" information was on their website. I wanted to say look lady if I wanted to look on your website(which I had already done) I could have stayed in Texas and saved my time and money. The weather, no matter what it is, is unimportant to me. A pretty big con was that they said they do not match scholarships. I was trying to get them to give me a scholarship matching Barry for $6,000. They said no. That just made me feel not as wanted.
Pros of Scholl vs. all other podiatric medical schools. Scholl in the cheapest. Living here is the cheapest. I pay 400$ per month for rent, utilities, and internet. I live in a nice large room. Now my girlfriend is moving in with me. That wouldn't really be an option if I lived in an efficiency. I also live about a 4 minute drive from school. I am also 15 hours from home if you drive the speed limit. In other words I can drive home if I wanted to. The anatomy lab is enormous! Being in a larger class has little effect, either good or bad. Okay, so I didn't know this when I started here but, the staff is amazing. Every teacher, in my honest opinion, is invested in your success. They either really care or they are getting a big incentive to fake like they care. That was a little joke* The thing that made me decide I wanted to come here was the scholarship opportunity. 24 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year students who apply and have a GPA of at least 3.4 can be a recipient of a scholarship for half tuition for the following year. If you work hard then, this is money in the bag. You can only get this one year. This was my thinking. Still it makes the school the most affordable along with the cheap living expenses. There were also a few other scholarships that caught my attention. This school was by far the nicest looking of the schools I had seen. Just impeccable.

Kent- Cons were meal plan was forced on students. Automatically students had to pay for a food meal plan. Why? It may have only been $500-$1,000, but why can't the students just use their cash. Same difference right? They also said if you didn't use them you would lose them. Financial aid was fairly unintelligent, but very nice and eventually was able to answer all of my questions. All other schools need to take a note on customer service skills from this welcoming admission staff. A big concern for me was living more than 15 minutes away from ANY school I would potentially go to. Independence is the city Kent is in. In Independence, people are rich, signs for advertising businesses(McDonald's) must stay on the ground, and NO APARTMENTS. It is a city ordinance. Are you kidding me? I then learned the nearest "safe" apartments are more than 15 minutes away. My time is precious. Every minute I spent away from Texas I wanted it to be working toward a bigger goal. Driving that much was a big turn off. Also rent was around $800 plus utilities. The lecture hall has a slowly descending floor to the stage, so I did not feel as though every seat was equal. I quite enjoy the stairs and sitting higher up in the middle of the screen(like at the movie theater).

Pros-lots....It would pretty much tie with Scholl on the looks, but you have to understand it is an old bank. They are still in the process of updating it on the inside. The outside is great, very pretty. I really liked the doctor's office simulation layout. I suppose there really isn't anything too special about it, but even when we go to the one here at Scholl I think I am going to that one. That one just made an impact on me. The anatomy lab is large and my favorite part; you aren't in the dark basement. Kent also agreed to match my scholarship in the amount of $6,000. Once again, I felt wanted. There are windows. I was really torn between Scholl and Kent and when I calculated gas, rent, tuition, and scholarships I realized either would make me happy. Kent seemed to have a tight knit class. It was only podiatrists there. They in a way get babied, since they don't share facilities with anyone else. Kent was where the residency director, of the residency I want to attend, went to.
3 things sealed the deal for me: I was dreading a more than 15 minute drive each way to and from school.
The scholarship opportunity in Scholl made it the cheaper option.
The rent made it a cheaper option.

The schools are equally ranked in my book. Scholl is just nicer, newer, bigger, and cheaper.

av897494,
I say to you, write a killer personal statement! Dominate the MCAT! Submit your application! Practice interviewing! Interview! Acceptance!
Believe me I understand the stress. Oh and by the way it has only just begun. Best of luck.
I don't know if I answered your question, but if you have any specific ones or something I didn't address feel free to ask.
please-tell-me-more.jpg

Lolz. Seriously though, thank you for sharing. I think all prepods on this forum should read that. Congratulations on Scholl!

Reactions: 3 users
After I finished typing all of that. I realized how long it was. I'm not proud of how long it took me, but I am just happy it could help some people.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone else chime in on the atmosphere and general lifestyle of a Western student? That location is ideal for me but I don't think I want to risk potentially having to transfer if it really is that bad.

You can also look at other forums. Some people on SDN have way stronger opinions than me when it comes to Western. Just try searching Western here on SDN. Be prepared though. It is unbelievable how bad of things people say. It is so bad I almost can't believe it at all. BUT if even half of it is true.....I still don't want any of that school.

I will be attending Western next fall!

Aside from location, I mainly chose Western due to having met numerous Western podiatry students in various settings. The first time was when I was shadowing a podiatrist. I was fortunate enough to attend a few of the weekly conferences at a hospital where the podiatry students/residents were presenting surgical cases that they were involved in. The podiatrist I was shadowing mentioned that the Western students were extremely prepared coming into that residency program, both in knowledge and clinical skills. Since he graduated from a different pod school during his time, he could only comment on the competency of the Western residents and that he had only heard good things at Western.

I also was able to sit in with third year students at Western's patient care center during their rotations. This was probably my most favorite shadowing moment because the students quickly made me feel comfortable and answered all my questions. I got to observed each student practice their patient interactions and also saw the close relationships that the students had with the teaching podiatrists/professor. Towards the end of the day, one of the pod students took me on a campus tour during his break.

On the interview day, the two pod students that ate lunch with the group seemed very engaging and enthusiastic to show us around. One of the students said it was going to be very hard, which shouldn't be a surprise since the classes are pretty much identical to the DO classes. I asked him if they were still able to have some free time for things like working out at the gym (this was important to me), and his response was telling me his everyday schedule. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was something like this: waking up at ~5-6 am to get ready and study a little before class, attend classes (some students preferred to not attend some classes if it worked for them), hit the gym, study, then short downtime and bed at ~10-11 pm. Remember that this is just ONE student and everyone's habits are different. My impression was that he was very efficient at managing time so he could fit in other things besides studying/attending class. The students also mentioned that it might be harder for some than others to adjust to the sheer volume of workload/information required in med/pod school.

I have read the majority of information about Western on SDN in regards to its reputation for being extremely hard. My personal experiences with Western was generally positive. I met stressed out students, but the same ones that were stressed were also engaging and didn't hesitate to help out a prospective student. I met an incredible faculty and staff that seemed not only friendly, but also genuinely caring of their students. It is hard to read some of the negative stuff that is written about Western, but every school has some things negative written about them, more or less.

I am very afraid of failing out at Western and having to repeat/transfer, but that just gives me all the more reason to give my best effort and try as hard as possible to succeed. I want to be with the best students and acquire the best training. I feel that Western will give me that opportunity. In the end, find the school that fits you best!

I am really interested in how it goes for you in the future, Biomechanix. Seriously, I am hoping for the best for you. I honestly think that many other podiatry schools could take a page from Western's book. This is in regards to having equal standards to the MD/DO students.<-----Just that one page. I have to say that I believe there are quite a few schools that have very similar or essentially the exact same curriculum for the first 2 years, when compared to MD/DO students. Western is the only school really trying to show this to the legislature/world to change the way podiatrists are perceived. I am not referring to the general public perception. I am speaking in regards to the law.
Personally, I want to be able to have the option to have a PA or NP. I also want to be paid the same amount when I perform the same services as an orthopedist. For example, an orthopedist would not prescribe an antidepressant, nor would I. He can however perform emergency life saving procedures, if a patients codes in the OR, that a podiatrist can not do.
I believe the curriculum SHOULD change, essentially to Western's. By that I mean (at my school, at least) the last two years. There are certain things all physicians should be able to do. The podiatry curriculum is missing a few of those rotations. Add these and parity is achieved.

Now that I am done with my rant, I am curious what made you decide to take the gamble on Western given their high attrition rate when compared to other schools? ~40% for Western vs. ~20% anywhere else. Do you think you are up to the task? Not to doubt you, but were you a good student in undergrad? I will say this from my experience. I consider myself to be smart, but lazy at times. (I'm working on it!) I have improved my study skills so much it is like night and day. That took 4 months now to learn. I barely passed biochem. I am embarrassed to say that, but I have learned from the situation and am already doing so much better. I had to break old habits and make new ones. Before you get here you are pumped, motivated, and determined to do whatever it takes. First of all it CAN be done. However, past actions are predictors of future actions. If you do not have the study skills to do well, then too bad. You get bad to mediocre grades until you learn. They hit the ground running.
Add that to Western's students' comments and their high attrition rates. I seriously don't know if I would be in school today if I was at Western.

I'll finish by saying you never plan on doing bad, BUT if for some crazy reason you don't do that great it is nice to have a safety net to catch you. You are definitely doing the tightrope act without a net at Western.

Thanks futuredoctor9891! I will need all the luck I can get!

I agree with what you have to say about the changes that need to be done in regards to the law and parity for podiatrists. Like many others, I found podiatry late in the game (had no idea what I wanted to do), but I guess it was perfect timing for me as I was taking an applied biomechanics class and a gait/locomotion class (I'm a kinesiology student). I fell in love with the work that podiatrists were doing, but I feel that more can be done. I would like to see less fragmentation in terms of scope across the states as well as parity in reimbursements. I am optimistic about the future and looking at the trends, progress is slow, but there is progress. This leads me to Western.

I am not oblivious to the attrition rates at Western and the rates do worry me, but to me, that's a good thing. I should be worried as this is medical school. I think I would be more worried if I felt comfortable. I don't think some incoming students understand the immense dedication it will take to even survive. My mindset and work ethic will hopefully somehow carry me through. My GPA was a 3.92 in undergrad. In high school, I did take AP classes, but I was an average student and was more focused on the sports I was involved in. In college, I knew that I was in control of my own future, so I quickly learned how to effectively manage my time to do what I needed to get done without getting buried in books all the time. Throughout my undergrad, I had no idea what I wanted to do. From pharmacy to PT to PA, I was all over the place, but whenever I inquired Western for information or talked to students there, I always had positive experiences. I'm not yet a podiatry student nor have I experienced the trials of one. Right now, my perspective of Western is that it is a progressive school. Western is not afraid to change if improvements can be made. If it wants to be the standard for the Podiatric curriculum and education, I feel that it can be.

One of the biggest lessons I took from my undergrad experience is that one student's perspective of difficulty is not my own, and vice versa. I can't tell you how many times a student has said this professor is too strict or this class is impossible, yet when I took that class, it was not like how others said it would be. I do not know other people's level of commitment, their outside responsibilities, or their work ethic. I only know myself, my capabilities, and my potential to push my own limits. Doing well at Western will be one of the biggest challenges of my life. While this scares me to death, I can't help but be really excited. I come from a poor family and having this opportunity is already a blessing in itself.

You are right when we never plan to fail. Failure is never planned as we can only plan to work hard and hopefully find success. I know my views are optimistic, but it has always worked for me. I guess I have to wait and see.

Biomechanix, I admire your determination to achieve greatness. It is very true that no one shows up to pod med school thinking they will fail. NO ONE. But truth of matter is, the curriculum is tough and when the going gets tough, you lose that determination. Always keep the goal in mind, even when you have exams after exams for weeks on end. If you keep your goal in mind, it will help you gain perspective and keep the determination. Every school will have good and bad students. It's not the school's fault if you fail; it's entirely because you didn't try hard enough. It is up to you to make the best out of it. Don't lose that determination and I wish the best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks Pod Zilla, I will definitely keep your words in mind when I'm deep in the trenches. Hopefully I'll be able to make it through and provide better insight as a pod student. I am deeply appreciative of all the advice and wisdom from SDN users like yourself and futuredoctor9891. I am looking forward to providing the same level of advice to others in the future!

So at first, I saw this thread and was like why hasn't a thread from MAY died yet? I thought people were probably trolling/being trolled. But then I read it and found it really possibly really useful for others (thanks FutureDoctor) and thought I might as well add my 2 cents since I am done with interviewing for next year now/other inquiring minds may want to know.
Spot on about Scholl...may I add that they have a revolving modular auditorium that breaks into 3 that you can ride around on; moreover, it seems like no one has bothered to mention (either here or on interview day) that the seasonally nice (has the added perk of occasional snow) sandy beach of Lake Michigan is only a town away (that is true, but wasn't what I logged into say).

Des Moines: Nice enough, on par with Scholl. Has a cool option of taking spanish, music or art as a second year elective. Also some nice global health rotation options (for those interested) and the opportunity to TA as a 2nd year. Very cheap cost of living even if no on campus housing.

Temple: This is what I logged into for since no one had commented on it yet. (Note before you think I am trolling: I was accepted with a nicer scholarship than any of the other schools). The podiatry building (separate from the main campus) is in a much safer/nicer neighborhood than the main campus. Right next to Chinatown/many historical attractions. The facility that I met seemed really nice and approachable. Everyone gets issued an ipad (which you actually pay for as part of your tuition/fees). As of right now, they put you up in a hotel free (only school that I know that does this) for up to 2 nights for interviews, which is in a very nice area and great for seeing the sights/eating the food. However, I saw a few deficiencies. One, the building is very old and there seemed like a lack of library space/places to study. I don't expect to see a shiny new building, but it kind of alarms me when the tour doesn't even bother to show you the exercise facilities when you will be practically living in that building for the next few years. It tells me how they value student support. I don't even like going to the gym, but the two other schools I mentioned both took time to mention how you could slip in gym time and had a fitness room for drop in classes. That same lack of student support seemed to extend to their approach to tutoring/academic support. One of my tour guides told me that you could get access to tutoring if you were doing bad. What about if you were doing good and doing better?
That idea didn't seem to stop with her even. The person who coordinated the tour day even told me that people for tutoring were available from a certain honor society for students taking anatomy. Yeah, anatomy will be hard but what about a learning center to easily get help with biochem/other classes? Didn't hear a peep.
The day seemed more about telling you where you could go to eat and their hospital system (even handed out a aerial color photo of it) than assuring you that you would be academically supported throughout your years. For sure, it seems like there are awesome residencies in Philly, but how about passing the boards and classes before you worry about residency? Anyone can apply to these programs and it might help if the school helps with your academic life so that you can get high marks to get into them. Not sure about others, but I never was excellent in anything that I was learning without support except the easy art of dish-washing.
Finally, everyone applying this cycle should know that they are changing their entire first couple years of curriculum around and it seems certain according to them that the changes will start next year. No one (not even the assistant dean) could tell me exactly how those changes would look, except even if he was able to tell me would I want to be the guinea pig class that would test these changes out. This was the kicker for me. Maybe it will be a better schedule, but I would rather have someone else find that out for me.

That's all for now folks. Hope that that wasn't too long and you managed to read this far. If so, Happy Holidays!

I was wondering did you get into a program? my GPA is similar to yours
cGPA 2.97 sGPA 3.14 I'm a nervous about getting into a program.

Thank you

Thank you so much skierbum for your thoughts about Temple. This new curriculum intrigues me; I wonder why they decided to change it for the next school year (if that's the plan... but perhaps it's for the better?) Anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to share? Current Temple students?

Hey everyone
I am applying to almost all podiatry schools but before I send in my applications I wanted to see what my chances are getting into a podiatry school

my cGPA 3.06 and sGPA 2.72
my Mcat is 14

what do think my chances are. please provide with helpful advice

Thank you

Last edited:
Hey everyone
I am applying to almost all podiatry schools but before I send in my applications I wanted to see what my chances are getting into a podiatry school

my Mcat is 14

Thank you

Did I read that right? A MCAT score of 14??? If that was not a typo and that's your actual score then you need to reconsider your career choices.

Did I read that right? A MCAT score of 14??? If that was not a typo and that's your actual score then you need to reconsider your career choices.
Thank you for replying back.
Yes it is 14. I took the exam when my parents were sick so I could hardly ever study. I took a practice exam after studying for sometime and got a 24. Do you think if I retake the exam then will I have any chances of getting in?
Thank You

So about this new curriculum at Temple...

Thank you for replying back.
Yes it is 14. I took the exam when my parents were sick so I could hardly ever study. I took a practice exam after studying for sometime and got a 24. Do you think if I retake the exam then will I have any chances of getting in?
Thank You
If you get a high score you may have a chance, but a lot will be dependent on your GPA trends. Best bet is to call the pod schools and ask them your chances so you don't end up having to deal with all our opinions on the forum.

Hey everyone

my Mcat is 14

Thank you

Okay I was having dejavu there for a second. "Interesting name choice"
I was thinking for a split second, "What! I didn't post that." You stats looked very similar to mine, with the exception of the MCAT.

Anyways, you probably see my confusion.
Well, I seriously feel like I am talking to myself 1 year ago. "Futuredoctor9876"

First of all sorry I've been away. Forgot about this ol' thread. I enjoy it because it is like a journal and a record of how far I have come.

I will say this. I was VERY intelligent in high school. I was always academically competitive. High school didn't challenge me a lot. Therefore I didn't have the habits to be very successful in college. (You can look back and see my stats)
I made excuses, went to the least amount of classes possible and ended up with 3 Fs and subpar grades. I was involved, but that is seriously near irrelevant. (Just info for you people thinking your million hours of ECs are that big of a deal.)
Now I speak to you specifically, futuredoctor9876, you are lying to yourself and everybody in this forum. I'm not denying your parents were sick and it impaired your ability to study for the MCAT as well as you may have wanted to. BUT when you say THAT is why you got a 14, I see that as an excuse. Studying for the MCAT should take 2-12 months. Were your parents sick those 2-12 months. I'm not judging, but you have to be honest with yourself. I would HATE it when I would be lazy and people would say, "Maybe you should think about if this career is right for you."
I would be upset because I got caught being lazy, first of all, and because I REALLY did want this career.
At this point this is for you, whoever is reading and myself. It is human nature to want to be successful with the least amount of work necessary.
My advice is change your definition of successful. Make it higher, so that when your human nature kicks in you will still be "okay". Like if successful, for you, is a 22 on the MCAT because that is what I got(and I managed to get in) say you want a 28. Your definition of success is too low.
Don't worry. Mine is too, quite often. I have to FORCE myself to raise it constantly.
So human nature is two-fold:
1.We define success too low. We want to prevent regret as much as we want pleasure.
2. We want to do the bare minimum to achieve success.

Now there is no need to lie or make excuses on a forum. If you actually want help and need it be honest with everybody, but most of all yourself. Your identity is private.

To address specifically what you should do for your MCAT; I think everyone would agree. You can not get in with a 14 and those grades. Period. Retake it until you get it to the highest you can and if necessary apply again next year.
Why did you choose that name btw? Only 2 numbers different than mine.

NYCPM-

Dangg... the NYCPM bashing is real...
1) The school seems "old" because it is THE oldest podiatry school. So students could benefit from the large alumni network as well as all of the hospital connections, all of which are extremely useful for residency placement as well as future profession.
To me, the school is just fine. I love how the entire building is dedicated to DPM students.
2) I'm pretty sure NYCPM has guarantee housing if you sign housing agreement with them. so no need to lose sleep over this.
3) The school offered free hotel stay for interviewees, the fact that you ended up with a piece of garbage hotel is pretty much your own fault.
4) I can't speak for other people's interview experiences, I thoroughly enjoyed mine. It was very much a conversation than a staring contest.
5) There really is no need for car in a big city like NY.... Subway and bus literally takes you everywhere. Even if you have a car, you won't have the luxury to drive and sight see while in school anyway; instead, you'll most likely get stuck in traffic.
6) And wow, there is just no word for whoever told you to NOT go to NYCPM. We are talking about a school that has high board placement rate as well as 100% residency placement.

Anyway, hopefully you are having a blast with your current Podiatry School.

Dangg... the NYCPM bashing is real...
1) The school seems "old" because it is THE oldest podiatry school. So students could benefit from the large alumni network as well as all of the hospital connections, all of which are extremely useful for residency placement as well as future profession.
To me, the school is just fine. I love how the entire building is dedicated to DPM students.
2) I'm pretty sure NYCPM has guarantee housing if you sign housing agreement with them. so no need to lose sleep over this.
3) The school offered free hotel stay for interviewees, the fact that you ended up with a piece of garbage hotel is pretty much your own fault.
4) I can't speak for other people's interview experiences, I thoroughly enjoyed mine. It was very much a conversation than a staring contest.
5) There really is no need for car in a big city like NY.... Subway and bus literally takes you everywhere. Even if you have a car, you won't have the luxury to drive and sight see while in school anyway; instead, you'll most likely get stuck in traffic.
6) And wow, there is just no word for whoever told you to NOT go to NYCPM. We are talking about a school that has high board placement rate as well as 100% residency placement.

Anyway, hopefully you are having a blast with your current Podiatry School.

I only posted my experience. I'm not one to argue. You obviously like NYCPN. That is good. I'm not attacking the school. It just didn't make the best impression on me. I personally did not think it was the best option for reasons already stated.

Not necessarily true, depends on when you are interviewed I suppose. I interviewed around Feb and I had to pay for a room (I stayed at Aloft Harlem, and was told by NYCPM that they weren't paying). That, or your stats have to be super awesome saucesome or something to have a room paid. Every situation is different.

Not necessarily true, depends on when you are interviewed I suppose. I interviewed around Feb and I had to pay for a room (I stayed at Aloft Harlem, and was told by NYCPM that they weren't paying). That, or your stats have to be super awesome saucesome or something to have a room paid. Every situation is different.