applying to prelims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I be applying to my prelims now? the problem is the timing... should I wait for invites from my categoricals and then apply to a prelim in the same city so that I can try and knock out two interviews (categorical and prelim) at once? I really appreciate any help I can get. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

definitely apply now! You can work out the scheduling later. I found the prelim med and TYs tougher to come by than the PM&R interviews last year.

I'm not sure why you would be waiting for the intern year programs. I agree with cbest about the interviews being tougher. I have double the amount of PM&R years as prelim/TY years right now, and since they just came today, I had been getting worried about not getting those years. If you think about it, for the intern year, you are competing against people who are applying to things like Derm, Ophtho, Rads, for those same slots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you. Up to 7 or 8 PM&R invites now and only two intern invites (1 prelim medicine and 1 transitional year). I have heard how competitive these spots are to come by, so I hope I will get more soon..

The competition for TY is stiffer than prelim medicine, so if you really want TY apply broadly and be willing to move (its only 12 months, put your stuff in storage). If you are tied to a city or region, apply to TY and prelim medicine and if you are REALLY tied to a city apply prelim surgery too. I went to residency with a few guys who did prelim surgery to avoid uprooting a spouse and family.