Applying to Psychiatry and IM at the same place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
So DO student here. I did mediocre on COMLEX I&II passed first time. NO USMLE. Failed the COMLEX PE and scheduled to retake in October.

So far no interviews for IM at all applied to both AOA and ACGME.

I'm looking into Family and Psych at this point, matching somewhere is better than nowhere. I prefer psych as I don't like OB/Peds in Family. But pickers can't be choosers.

If I apply to a Psych program where I sent my IM app already, am I toast for either program? Or are these 2 different enough to not have have that sort of cross-talk between PDs.

My hopefully passing COMLEX PE score will be in December, I know the psych program will still interview till Jan.

Can I withdraw my IM app to the hospital in question via ERAS. I honestly think demand for IM>>Psych.

On another note, is there any point in doing an audition now, assuming I could secure one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Applying is fine--IM won't know you're applying for Psych and vice versa. It's interviewing at the same institution for two different programs that's so problematic. Apply to both (or all three) specialties if you have the funds to do so. If you get multiple invitations from the same location, choose one.

Applying is fine--IM won't know you're applying for Psych and vice versa. It's interviewing at the same institution for two different programs that's so problematic. Apply to both (or all three) specialties if you have the funds to do so. If you get multiple invitations from the same location, choose one.

I did this and recommend not doing it. Believe it or not some coordinators even work at multiple institutions. The coordinator at an IM program was also helping out at a Psych program. This was at 2 different institutions. I interviewed at Psych and am going to remove my IM app because I found this out. I don't want her to tattle on me to the psych folks and remove my app from consideration.

Apply to both programs at the institution, but only attend 1 interview.