applying to schools in Texas as OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like all are public except for Baylor- which has higher stats. Any advice on applying for OOSers?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied as OOS during the current cycle. To be honest, I'm not sure it was even worth it the time/money. I know its pretty cheap to apply to all the schools, but I really think it depends on your application. This comes straight off UT Austin website "Texas law prescribes that no more that 10% of our class can be classified as a non-resident. For our inaugural class, we anticipate no more than five students will be non-Texas residents." (http://dellmedschool.utexas.edu/faq/admissions)

If they're only accepting 10% of OOS applicants, you have to have excellent stats and an excellent app. That's the only time I really see it beneficial. With so many competitive applications, there's no reason for them to accept an average (or even above average) applicant. A friend of mine had multiple acceptances at many top tier schools, and a single acceptance from a Texas school. He took it for the cheap tuition. But my point is that he had tons of other acceptances because he was just a quality applicant.

I'm not an excellent candidate by any means, but all I got from the Texas schools was a rejection letter (all last week haha). In retrospect, I wouldn't apply there again. Because the format is similar, but different, its a ton of time inputing your application, essays, etc. into a low-yield system. Obviously at the end of the day, you have to decide based on your qualifications. I'd personally, save yourself the time and money.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I did this. It doesn't work if your stats aren't high and/or you're not a fluent speaker of spanish. URM might skew chances of your acceptance, but texas wants the best OOS students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as OOS during the current cycle. To be honest, I'm not sure it was even worth it the time/money. I know its pretty cheap to apply to all the schools, but I really think it depends on your application. This comes straight off UT Austin website "Texas law prescribes that no more that 10% of our class can be classified as a non-resident. For our inaugural class, we anticipate no more than five students will be non-Texas residents." (http://dellmedschool.utexas.edu/faq/admissions)

If they're only accepting 10% of OOS applicants, you have to have excellent stats and an excellent app. That's the only time I really see it beneficial. With so many competitive applications, there's no reason for them to accept an average (or even above average) applicant. A friend of mine had multiple acceptances at many top tier schools, and a single acceptance from a Texas school. He took it for the cheap tuition. But my point is that he had tons of other acceptances because he was just a quality applicant.

I'm not an excellent candidate by any means, but all I got from the Texas schools was a rejection letter (all last week haha). In retrospect, I wouldn't apply there again. Because the format is similar, but different, its a ton of time inputing your application, essays, etc. into a low-yield system. Obviously at the end of the day, you have to decide based on your qualifications. I'd personally, save yourself the time and money.

Good luck!

I appreciate your helpful advice! :)

I did this. It doesn't work if your stats aren't high and/or you're not a fluent speaker of spanish. URM might skew chances of your acceptance, but texas wants the best OOS students.
I'm not URM, but spanish bilingual, MCAT >90%tile, and GPA above average. Still not a single interview haha. Its grueling.

Good luck!

Excellent summary. If there are only 5-10, 20 MAX OOS applicants accepted, why should you be one of them? Unless you're a stellar applicant, that's a tough question to answer.

High numbers plus something else, then please apply --

As an OOS who has a UT acceptance this cycle (Southwestern), I would still largely agree with what others have said. High stats are a must, but everything else has to be solid too. And even then, a good part of it is probably luck.

Personally, I don't know what worked for me. I have a high GPA/MCAT but so do plenty of others who it doesn't work for. No ties to Texas, not a bilingual Spanish speaker (or any other language for that matter), not URM. Solid app otherwise, but who knows? If you've got a little extra money to burn and you're otherwise competitive, give it a shot. In the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket relative to other application costs and the amount you'll be spending on med school!

I applied to all the Texas schools because it seemed that few OOS apply to begin with due to their different primary application. I assumed competition would be similar to any OOS school. I was offered 5 interviews there, but every single one resulted in a waitlist placement. To compare, every school I interviewed at outside Texas has accepted me, including many OOS schools with high in-state preferences. I don't really know what happened, but I certainly feel like I wasted a lot of time and money on that state.

But I am happy with my other acceptances and so it doesn't bother me much. As always, YMMV.

You need to have fantastic stats. I had stats right in line with both my own in-state school's averages as well as most of the Texas ones (better stats for most of them, only lower stats for UTSW and Baylor), so I would have an excellent chance of multiple acceptances if I was IS. But as an OOS applicant, I ended up with only 1 interview invitation (UTMB) and did not get accepted. I can't say exactly how good of stats you need, but you definitely need to be well above average.

I think strong ties to the state helped me, because my MCAT was horrid (at least by my standards) and I really don't feel like there was anything extraordinary about my application. So if you have any ties to the state, let it be clearly known.

Remember, many schools can also give you a 1,000 dollar scholarship so you pay in state tuition. Its some odd rule that Texas has, if an OOS gets a minimum 1k scholarship from the school, they pay IS tuition... from what I recall!

This is same obstacle Texan applicants feel when they considering applying OOS unfortunately.

What was your gpa and mcat? I'm beyond shocked that none of the 5 accepted you? Did you interview later or what do you think happened?
3.95+ and 517

I interviewed from mid August to mid October. I'm not sure why I didn't get any bites.

I applied to the Texas schools with mixed stats (terrible GPA, high MCAT) and an unusual nontrad background. I received interviews at 5 of them, but was only accepted at 1. I don't think you necessarily need fantastic stats to get to the interview stage but you do need to add *something* to the class, and you really must have a compelling argument for "Why Texas?" besides "It's cheap".

Reactions: 1 users
I have rather middle-of-the-pack stats at a 3.86 and a 32, however I got an II at San Antonio and accepted at TTU.
However, I do speak Spanish and my wife is from Lubbock, TX (where TTU is) so I'm sure that was the difference maker!
Stress those Texas ties and you'll be in a much better place. If you don't have any... Make some quick haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's really crazy. Those are exceptional stats, I still can't believe they didn't take you anywhere :(

It will be fine, I have some good schools lined up. I'm mostly bummed about UTSW since I really liked that school and the interviewer literally said she wanted to know what she could tell me to convince me to go to SW. I should have said "An acceptance letter" haha

I have rather middle-of-the-pack stats at a 3.86 and a 32, however I got an II at San Antonio and accepted at TTU.
However, I do speak Spanish and my wife is from Lubbock, TX (where TTU is) so I'm sure that was the difference maker!
Stress those Texas ties and you'll be in a much better place. If you don't have any... Make some quick haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I need to find me a husband in TX.

Reactions: 1 users
Low GPA/High MCAT applicant - applied to all Texas schools and received 4 II, attended 3, accepted at 2.

You never know if you don't try with your stats - it is relatively cheap to go through TMDSAS so I say why not? I was accepted OOS to a Texas school, so it certainly isn't impossible.

price for reference: $140 flat fee regardless of the # of schools applying to.

Quick question before I email the admissions office at UT Southwestern:

For an OOS Applicant, is the MD/PhD route the only option? AMCAS isn't giving me the MD only selection. I can't seem to find the answer on their website but I could just be missing it??

Quick question before I email the admissions office at UT Southwestern:

For an OOS Applicant, is the MD/PhD route the only option? AMCAS isn't giving me the MD only selection. I can't seem to find the answer on their website but I could just be missing it??

You need to apply via TMDSAS for the MD only portion. Texas schools have an application system parallel to AMCAS