Applying to Tox Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vengaaqui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a second year ED resident. I was interested in toxicology in medical school and have become more interested during residency. I was wondering what program directors look for in toxicology applications and what I should be doing now to start preparing to apply. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm a second year ED resident. I was interested in toxicology in medical school and have become more interested during residency. I was wondering what program directors look for in toxicology applications and what I should be doing now to start preparing to apply. Thanks in advance!

Sorry about the delay, have had a nutso week (I should engage the widget approach).

Great to hear someone's caught the bug! I really love my specialty, & find it keeps me sane - Lollapalooza & Pitchfork notwithstanding.

Now, with the NB that I'm not a PD, I think what a lot of programs look for involve many of the same generalities that brought you to EM - do you fit? have you thought out what you want to do with Tox when done? have you shown interest as a resident? Yada yada yada.

So what to do? Well, as I and others have posted before, a good start is to talk with your faculty toxicologist and EM PD. If you don't have one (tox obviously; you have to have a PD), then either the ACMT fellowship group (www.acmt.net) or your state's poison control.

May want to also explore doing some research - could be as simple as a case report or QI project. You may also want to consider setting up an away rotation with your vacation time, in order to see what we do on a daily basis, meet with fellowship faculty, and get a LoR.

Also, NACCT (the ACEP meeting for tox) is next month in Atlanta, and ACMT (SAEM equivalent) is in Phoenix in March. Most programs are there, and the fellow sections often sponsor resident/fellow activities that you can use to meet people.

Good luck!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what resident registration would run? More like $100, $300, more?

The prices listed on their website show NACCT is $350 now, $395 onsite. It was $300 until the 15th of this month.
ACMT registration doesn't open until Sept 1. They'll list prices then.