applying to transitional year and prelim medicine at same program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD125

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know applying to two different specialties at the same program is a no-no. How about applying to prelim medicine and a transitional year at the same program. Does this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

TY here. I've never heard of this being an issue. It only increases your chance of doing a PGY1 year at a certain location, which makes it look like you really want to go there. Could only help you.

How about applying to a prelim program at a program that only has categorical? For example, if program A only has categorical anesthesia and not advanced, can I apply to program A's prelim medicine program without problem? Will they hold this against me (ie the prelim would be in case I match to a different program's advanced anesthesia spot)?

I see no reason why they would hold it against you if you applied to both their categorical and prelim spots if they only have categorical. I think again (if they even care one way or another, which I highly doubt) that it could only be a good thing. It's like saying, "If I can't do your categorical program, I at least want to be able to do 1 year here".which I think could only be good!