Applying to TX pharm school (non-resident)...Should i even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jarkxc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to the University of Houston's Pharmacy school but there's one problem: I'm an out of state applicant. I was told that ~90% of UH's applicants are residents in TX while the smaller percentage of accepted applicants are not. That being said, should I even bother applying? My chances of being accepted have already been cut down to 10% here's my numbers.

GPA: 3.45 (getting my bachelor's in biochem by may 2015)
PCAT: 91 comp (52 verbal, 99 bio, 47 reading, 72 quant, 98 chem)
Extracurriculars: 3 yrs in-patient hospital pharm tech & 3 months retail pharm tech (just started)

If for some reason I was blessed by God and was accepted, could anyone tell me how I can be helped financially? Such as establishing residency in TX, scholarship options etc.? Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Nice PCAT score, GPA is competitive for UH. Your Pre-req GPA may be higher, so good luck on that front. I also think you have great experience going for you.

I'd strongly recommend applying to UH or any other top tier program that catches your eye. I'm in TX and know UH, they really care that you get pharmacists' letters of recommendations (this is absolutely non-negotiable and they should speak extremely well of you as a person and future health professional, it is important that those letters of recommendation state you have a great reputation).

A lot of people establish residency after a year or so, don't really know how they do it though.