applying to UA residency with CS failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumbo1979

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am worried about my future with the upcoming match. A while back I found out I failed USMLE step 2 CS on ICE and I’ve been having a hard time motivating myself to continue. I am currently booked for a Kaplan course to remedy the situation and will be retaking it in time for my result to come in October/November.

As far as the other components of my application, I got 257 on Step 1 and 264 on Step 2. I also am in need of a visa when I apply. I did my schooling in the Caribbean so all my clinicals were done in the US.

My question to you guys is, what is the standard procedure when it comes to applying in September with a failed CS, can I not submit the failure and then submit it when I get a pass hopefully in oct/nov?

Also from your experience, given my overall application, do I still stand a good chance in Family and IM? Will I still get interviews before my CS score comes in?

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your first question is the easiest to answer. When you submit your USMLE scores to ERAS, all of your scores up until that point are released. You can't release your Step 1 and CK without your CS. It's all or nothing. So your choices are to apply with no scores at all, and only release them once you pass, or apply with your failed CS and note somewhere in your application when you plan to have your retake score available. That's more complicated -- my guess is that it's better to release up front. Your scores (except for the CS) are great, and some programs may be willing to interview you. If you don't submit scores at all, I expect very few programs would consider it.

Whether you'll get a spot at all is impossible to say. But looking at Charting Outcomes for IMG's, Non-US IMG's had just below a 50% chance of matching with 1 CS attempt, and 20% chance with 2 CS attempts. That's all comers -- and your scores are better than average. Your chances are probably better in FP than IM, but both are likely possibilities. Charting Outcomes is here: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

I am worried about my future with the upcoming match. A while back I found out I failed USMLE step 2 CS on ICE and I’ve been having a hard time motivating myself to continue. I am currently booked for a Kaplan course to remedy the situation and will be retaking it in time for my result to come in October/November.

As far as the other components of my application, I got 257 on Step 1 and 264 on Step 2. I also am in need of a visa when I apply. I did my schooling in the Caribbean so all my clinicals were done in the US.

My question to you guys is, what is the standard procedure when it comes to applying in September with a failed CS, can I not submit the failure and then submit it when I get a pass hopefully in oct/nov?

Also from your experience, given my overall application, do I still stand a good chance in Family and IM? Will I still get interviews before my CS score comes in?

Thanks for reading and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Hey what happened bwith the match? Because Im in the same position bow. See scores