Applying to UK Vet Schools from the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddogdvm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm very interested in several UK vet schools - Dick Vet, Glasgow, and Royal Vet in London. I'm currently a US undergrad student, and I will be applying to schools this fall 2014 for 2015 matriculation. I'm wondering if anybody has suggestions regarding the application processes for these schools, as well as any specific information on the required coursework for admission, I've found their websites a bit confusing! Please let me know - I am VERY interested in these schools, so anything helps! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! (I'm new to everything application-wise!)

Members don't see this ad :)
You just apply to them though VMCAS. Specific reqs are in the link above.

Does anyone know - Royal Vet School of London, Dick Vet, and Glasgow all have 3.4 GPA requirement - do you know if this is absolutely MANDATORY or if they will consider extenuating circumstances at all? I'm dying to go to these schools, but had a rather rough start to college, so I've been really working hard on trying to get my GPA up as much as possible ever since....

Does anyone know - Royal Vet School of London, Dick Vet, and Glasgow all have 3.4 GPA requirement - do you know if this is absolutely MANDATORY or if they will consider extenuating circumstances at all? I'm dying to go to these schools, but had a rather rough start to college, so I've been really working hard on trying to get my GPA up as much as possible ever since....

glad you asked! I will give you my opinion based on how my applications went this year:

In the past, I would've said that all 3 schools have this on paper as a "minimum requirement", but when it comes to application time, most students I know with a 3.4 and a generally good amount of experience, PS, and GRE will get in- for all 3 schools.
Now (as of 2014), I say the same for Glasgow (remember Glasgow is 5 years and not 4) and Dick Vet (4 yr graduate accelerated), where if you get around 3.4gpa you'll pretty much be accepted, even though on paper it says 3.4 minimum.

However, things have changed for RVC. Not too sure if its due to politics, or number of international student quota, or just the applicant pool or what, but they have been incredibly selective this year.
I come from a school in Canada and out of all my classmates who applied from my school, nobody was accepted, not even for an interview. All of us exceeded the 3.4 GPA requirement, with some even going into the 3.7-3.8 range. Excellent experiences, relatively good gpa, great PS etc.
you can see from past 2018 threads that RVC acceptances have been quite strict this year.
The weirdest part is ALL of my friends got accepted to Edinburgh as well (4 yr w/o need for interview), but Edinburgh takes even LESS students than RVC interviews.
Quite fishy, but nothing can be done.. perhaps its due to a bit of friendly competition between the schools.

so I'd still say you should apply to all 3!!! or 2 if you have a preference (costs ~$150 to apply per school), but I just want to give you an update so you know the general schools and how they stand.

Feel free to comment, and I apologize if I went a bit too personal (i still am a bit bitter), but I think people should know what to expect when planning for schools (I was a freshman when I decided to aim for RVC and it would've saved me a lot of tears and anguish if I had known earlier)

So.. I agree with what ducktoller has said in that admissions results turned out to be pretty strange this year. A lot of people were rejected from the RVC this year with high grades, and a lot of those same people were accepted to Edinburgh. Traditionally in the UK the schools chat to one another and decide who picks whom if you apply through their UCAS system, but they don't do that with North American applicants, so I have no idea what happened this year. There were many changes (the head of admissions at the RVC retired, and I think it's been a bit different with the new person they've hired), so that may have mixed things up, but who knows.

Anyways, back to your question. In general, you obviously want as high of a GPA as possible, but my circumstances should give you hope, since I seem to be the exception to the situation described above and had a pretty low GPA. I was accepted to Glasgow, straight up rejected to Edinburgh, and have been invited to interview with the RVC which kept getting delayed, but is happening this week.

As I mentioned, my undergrad GPA was pretty crummy (I had a stellar freshman year, crappy soph and junior year, then stellar senior year), and my average was under a 3.4. However, I went and did a one year masters program at the RVC and pulled out a pretty great grade that converted over to something like a 3.7. The system is different here so it's incredibly hard to get that 4.0 grade (a distinction). Because of the translations, my GPA got a bit weird, and I'm still not entirely sure what the overall was, but it was certainly a lot lower than many other applicants that applied. I think they just liked the fact that I had already spent a year in the UK system and had done well in a post graduate program, as well as I did have excellent experiences, recs, GRE, etc. Anyways, so I would say that if you really want to attend, apply and try, they may not take that minimum quite as seriously as you think if the rest of your application appeals to them. And if it doesn't work out, there are other options you can try (like taking a post-bac program in the US, or going abroad for one) that will massively help your application.

Thank you both for the advice - and I appreciate all the personal experiences you have! - and congrats on landing an interview with RVC Cyndia - good luck! I'm curious, what did you do your master's program in at RVC? Do you think it was worth the money? It's definitely something I'd be interested in if I didn't get into vet school my first try, but I want to be in the equine field, so it's important for me to weigh out the end-all cost-benefit, especially knowing the costs of vet school.

I'll be applying to vet schools with a somewhat less-than-desirable GPA (above 3.1 but below 3.4) due to my rocky start at college - my last 45 credits (composed of chem, physics, and the other hard sciences) will/are between 4.0 and 3.9, and I have VERY strong work experience and LORec. Your experiences are encouraging, I really want to go to school in the UK, but just don't want to waste my time or money if I won't even be considered because I don't have the "minimum" 3.4 listed.

You've got a serious upward trend in grades, so that is good at least! Anyways, I've got a good bit to say on it, so I'll send you a quick PM about the course I did :)

RVC has pared back on the amount of internationals accepted over the past few years. Part of the reason is that the govt are granting less visas to students in general. It sucks, but it's part of their strategy to combat immigration and its strain on the economy. Also, the RVC in the past accepted waaaayyyyyy too many people and the class size ballooned a little bit too much (mostly because a lot of international/NA students accepted the offer). I'm not really in tune with the application process since I did it back in 2009, so I'm not the best person to ask about this stuff. If you want to know more about the RVC admissions process, check out their pages (http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/BVetMed/Index.cfm or http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/BVetMedAcc/Index.cfm depending on the program you're interested in).

Would you consider University College Dublin? It's AVMA accredited and an amazing school with a 4 year program for grad students. =)

Absolutely Asbkitty - are you a student at Dublin?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the program here. This semester we're focusing a little more on farm animal, and I surprisingly don't hate it. This is only my first year here but so far, I really like how the classes are broken down. Anatomy and histology are split up throughout the year and integrated with courses on physiology. For example: Last semester we had Cardio and respiratory physiology, and with that, we had thorax dissection and for neurobiology we dissected the canine skull, and also looked at histology of neurons, etc.

I thought it would be harder living in another country (it was my first time away from home) but the support system here is so great wether it be other students or staff. The upper years like to check up on you through out the year just to see how everything is going and give you little pointers: mostly they remind you not to stress. The lecturers are also amazing. They typically respond to your emails quickly and have no problems meeting up with you to discuss anything (But, as usual, there are 1 or 2 who seem to be, more often than not, too busy to talk). The competition between classmates exists but I don't feel like it's huge. Overall, we are there for each other (Even when we're all on each others nerves).

Are you trying to get in to the 4 year program or the 5 year?

Are you trying to get in to the 4 year program or the 5 year?

I'm trying for the 4 year, though it probably doesn't bode well that I haven't heard yet haha. I've already gotten into Glasgow and the RVC, but for the 5 years there, so I would take UCD in a heartbeat if I got into the 4 year!

If you end up having to chose a 5 year programme, the extra year will go by faster than you think. ;)

::Starts crying::....I don't want to graduate yet!! 5 years wasn't enough :(

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I know, I wouldn't mind a 5 year, it's just it would save me a years tuition..

Erm...yes...kind of...except that Dublin is more expensive per year...and living costs are higher.

Erm...yes...kind of...except that Dublin is more expensive per year...and living costs are higher.

With the current conversion rate, I think it's only about 3k euros more a year (if the tuition is still 33,500)? The RVC upped their tuition to 25,000 pounds this year, so it's the same as Glasgow. Sucks, because I had thought tuition was still 20k at the RVC. Plus the opportunity cost of working for a year would definitely outweigh any of the 5 year options... But I do agree cost of living is certainly higher than in Glasgow.

Last edited:
With the current conversion rate, I think it's only about 3k euros more a year (if the tuition is still 33,500)? The RVC upped their tuition to 25,000 pounds this year, so it's the same as Glasgow. Sucks, because I had thought tuition was still 20k at the RVC. Plus the opportunity cost of working for a year would definitely outweigh any of the 5 year options... But I do agree cost of living is certainly higher than in Glasgow.

Interesting...UCD must have lowered their tuition from when I got in there.

How do you like the program there? I'm still waiting to hear back about my application, but keeping my fingers crossed.
Hang in there. Some people in my class didn't hear back for a while. If I get a chance later I'll pull up the fb convo where every one says when they were accepted and let you know. But I know one girl didn't find out until the end of the summer because of some miscommunication. Have you check the web portal? I saw that some people saw they were accepted on there before they heard anything via email?

Hang in there. Some people in my class didn't hear back for a while. If I get a chance later I'll pull up the fb convo where every one says when they were accepted and let you know. But I know one girl didn't find out until the end of the summer because of some miscommunication. Have you check the web portal? I saw that some people saw they were accepted on there before they heard anything via email?

Oh my god, don't know if my portal has updated but I just got an email!!!! I'm into the 4 year program ahhhh!!!!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats Cyndia!!!! Just saw all these new posts - that's SO exciting!!

Asbkitty and Cyndia - do you mind if I ask what your grades were like for undergrad? I'm freaking out that I won't have a high enough GPA by the time I apply - like I said, I had a rough start, and even though I've done really well since I've it back on track and together, I'm so afraid I won't even make the first cut because of my low GPA! Feels hopeless at times, but I just KNOW that this is what I'm meant to do with my life!!!

Interesting...UCD must have lowered their tuition from when I got in there.

Ah it is only 28,000 for me a year..... so there is that.... and Dublin is better than Glasgow as well :p

Oh my god, don't know if my portal has updated but I just got an email!!!! I'm into the 4 year program ahhhh!!!!!! :soexcited:

Congrats!!!! :D

Reactions: 1 user

Asbkitty and Cyndia - do you mind if I ask what your grades were like for undergrad? I'm freaking out that I won't have a high enough GPA by the time I apply - like I said, I had a rough start, and even though I've done really well since I've it back on track and together, I'm so afraid I won't even make the first cut because of my low GPA! Feels hopeless at times, but I just KNOW that this is what I'm meant to do with my life!!!

Don't worry too much! My grades were actually kind of crap in undergrad.. I had an upward trend, but really screwed up my sophomore and junior year after I transferred to Cornell on a guaranteed transfer option. I did go and do a masters at the RVC to help my app, but my overall undergrad GPA was actually slightly below the minimum requirement at the RVC, Dublin, and Glasgow, but I got into all three... I genuinely thought I wouldn't get in anywhere, but got into my top two choices abroad and was waitlisted at one of my top US choices. So definitely give it a try! You might surprise yourself with what happens...

Ah! You don't know how much that means to me - sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel seems to far away, but I'm so happy for you and your fantastic news!!! It's so encouraging!!! Go future veterinarians of the world!!

Ah it is only 28,000 for me a year..... so there is that.... and Dublin is better than Glasgow as well :p

Better?
Watch yo'self.
;)

And when I got into the 4 yr program at UCD they told me 35k euros a year starting....and I got super sad.

How much did you pay at glasgow?? Just curious.. I'm afraid I've made some colossal math mistake with finances haha.

My class pays 17.5k GBP a year. I believe the current first years pay 24k.

Wow! :O Now I see why you chose glasgow. Yeah the upcoming year is 25k :(

Yeah the set tuition cost and lower living costs were a big draw for me. I was also going to be in the first class of 4yr UCD, so that made me a little nervous.

Better?
Watch yo'self.
;)

And when I got into the 4 yr program at UCD they told me 35k euros a year starting....and I got super sad.

eh each school has it's ups and downs tbh..... there are goods and bads in each of them.... best to be happy where you are and I know you are

eh each school has it's ups and downs tbh..... there are goods and bads in each of them.... best to be happy where you are and I know you are

Agreed 100%.

It's all about fit.

Hi! I don't mind at all. I had just under a 3.4 also with the upward trend near, my early undergrad didn't go too well. My last 45 hour GPA was pretty high, like a 3.98 but about half of those classes were non- science. Also, I was a vet tech for 5 years... I had an interview with a state school (Mississippi) and RVC and was accepted to UCD and St George.

Thanks for letting me know - and I am a certified vet tech too!

I have gotten accepted into both Glasgow and the 4 year program at Dublin. I was wondering what the 4 year program at Dublin is like and how the transition into the 2 year goes? I have been reading the posts and any new information about either school would be helpful. I haven't made my decision, yet. Also, I am interested in Large/Food Animal, so any information about both colleges' Large/Food Animal part of the programs would be great!

I have gotten accepted into both Glasgow and the 4 year program at Dublin. I was wondering what the 4 year program at Dublin is like and how the transition into the 2 year goes? I have been reading the posts and any new information about either school would be helpful. I haven't made my decision, yet. Also, I am interested in Large/Food Animal, so any information about both colleges' Large/Food Animal part of the programs would be great!

There are quite a few threads that discuss Dublin already. I would try using the search feature. I believe one of the titles is Dublin, past, present, and future. Devyn and Mas are great resources to talk to about everything Dublin as well.

As for Large/Food Animal at Glasgow, we have quite a large, very active dept.. We are also the location of the Scottish Centre for Production Animal Health and Food Safety, so we see a lot--at the school farm (Cochno), the Animal Health Building (Galloway), as well as major dairy and beef production herd visits. We also work closely with a first opinion practice and many abattoirs in the area. You are also expected to do at least two weeks of lambing EMS and Dairy EMS. Hope that helps!

We also talk A LOT about large animal medicine here and we go to the farm almost every week our second semester. Most of our second semester is about large animal actually. It's a little much for me... but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

In our second year we merge with the 3rd year undergraduate students. From that point on everyone calls us 3rd years. We're starting to have some classes with them now and it really isn't so bad. Honestly, the grad group is so small that we all get really close the first semester and by the second, we're ready to meet some new people. But like shortnsweet said, the dublin past, present, and future thread has a lot of really good info on it. Feel free to PM me, also, if you want to ask more questions. I am always happy to help =)

There are quite a few threads that discuss Dublin already. I would try using the search feature. I believe one of the titles is Dublin, past, present, and future. Devyn and Mas are great resources to talk to about everything Dublin as well.

As for Large/Food Animal at Glasgow, we have quite a large, very active dept.. We are also the location of the Scottish Centre for Production Animal Health and Food Safety, so we see a lot--at the school farm (Cochno), the Animal Health Building (Galloway), as well as major dairy and beef production herd visits. We also work closely with a first opinion practice and many abattoirs in the area. You are also expected to do at least two weeks of lambing EMS and Dairy EMS. Hope that helps!
I have to say, I think our Large/Food Animal faculty are some of the most passionate people I know about their chosen area of study. This year (first year) the majority of our lectures were either food/large animal based or general (micro, physio, biochem, etc). There's one lecturer who will definitely love you forever if you say you've worked with cattle before.
Thanks for the help! How is the set up for grading at Glasgow. I have read a lot about Dublin's, but I don't know much about Glasgow's are the same in the fact that you have some small test, but your finally are worth a majority of your grade? Also, what's your favorite part about Glasgow?

We also talk A LOT about large animal medicine here and we go to the farm almost every week our second semester. Most of our second semester is about large animal actually. It's a little much for me... but I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

In our second year we merge with the 3rd year undergraduate students. From that point on everyone calls us 3rd years. We're starting to have some classes with them now and it really isn't so bad. Honestly, the grad group is so small that we all get really close the first semester and by the second, we're ready to meet some new people. But like shortnsweet said, the dublin past, present, and future thread has a lot of really good info on it. Feel free to PM me, also, if you want to ask more questions. I am always happy to help =)
Thanks for the help! I've only read a few comments about the transition to moving over there and the support the college gives you. I am from a small town and have always lived here. I don't need some one to hold my hand, but I also don't want to get over there and dropped on my head so to speak. Glasgow seems to have a great support system set up for the international student. I know one person that went to Dublin for the 5 year program and graduated 4 or 5 years ago. His transition over there sounded horrible. He got student housing and hated and ended up with an apartment a few weeks in. Adding to the stress of how intense the first year is going to be, I want to know that there is a support team there and how it works.

Thanks for the help! I've only read a few comments about the transition to moving over there and the support the college gives you. I am from a small town and have always lived here. I don't need some one to hold my hand, but I also don't want to get over there and dropped on my head so to speak. Glasgow seems to have a great support system set up for the international student. I know one person that went to Dublin for the 5 year program and graduated 4 or 5 years ago. His transition over there sounded horrible. He got student housing and hated and ended up with an apartment a few weeks in. Adding to the stress of how intense the first year is going to be, I want to know that there is a support team there and how it works.

From what I understand, and this is coming from older years, there have been a lot of changes to the program in terms of transition. I had no problem coming here, I didn't feel overwhelmed at all. I live on campus. Before making my decision where to live a facebook page was set up for the incoming class with some of the upper years to answer questions. When it came time to select where to live a few of us chatted and made sure we were in the same apartment. I actually like the apartments because we each have our own bathroom.
In the summer, we were set up with a "big sibling" (if we wanted them) from the year above us and they were all really great about answering any questions. During the first couple weeks of school they made sure to do some fun things with us, like bowling.. it's kind of their way of making sure none of us are having a hard time. Before the first week of school there is an orientation where you're put into groups with a peer mentor and they check up on you throughout the year. They also are there to talk whenever you need them. Honestly, I have found everyone here so friendly. I haven't had much of a problem assimilating. Even the professors ask how we're all doing on a regular basis. On a side note, this is my first time living away from home.

They restructured the curriculum this year. In doing so they've done away with individual classes and grouped the year into six modules (baseline body systems, natural defenses, digestion, infectious agents, reproduction, and the urinary system). Each module lasts four weeks. During the first three weeks, we have lectures, practicals, and independent learning assignments. The fourth week we an assignment (e.g. an essay) and revision. We also have a guest speaker on the fourth Wednesday who speaks to us about a topic relevant to the module. Assignments from three out of the six modules are marked and count towards 30% of our final grade. In May, we have an exam worth 70% of our final grade as well as the OSCEs.

I really like that Glasgow has started to teach us clinical skills early on in our course. Not many first year vet students can say they know how to do four different types of suture patterns, three different knots, and have had the opportunity to practice on animals (cadavers) not oranges and bananas.

If you have any more questions about Glasgow the city or anything else about the program, feel free to PM me.

So different......hahaha...direct your questions to her now people...because I don't know anything about the new curriculum.

hey guys, I've been MIA for awhile but if you have Dublin questions that you want more input on just let me know ;)

My undergrad GPA was only a 3.15 or something but I was an electrical engineer so I dunno if that mattered ... I also did a master's hoping to help offset that and my GPA for that was more like a 3.6 (but it was only 6 classes) ... don't despair if your GPA isn't super high. Dublin does a really good job of looking beyond your numbers/stats at the whole application so definitely apply here if you're interested!

Over the last few years UCD has completely re-worked the incoming program there are peer-mentors and you get a "big-sibling" that gives you advice and stuff to help ease the transition etc. so it's definitely not like what it used to be!! I used to be the one-woman welcoming committee but like Asbkitty said you get your own buddy now haha ... and if you're interested in large animal medicine then Dublin is definitely a great option, they're a bit obsessive over here but in a really great way! If you want more details let me know :D

hey guys, I've been MIA for awhile but if you have Dublin questions that you want more input on just let me know ;)

My undergrad GPA was only a 3.15 or something but I was an electrical engineer so I dunno if that mattered ... I also did a master's hoping to help offset that and my GPA for that was more like a 3.6 (but it was only 6 classes) ... don't despair if your GPA isn't super high. Dublin does a really good job of looking beyond your numbers/stats at the whole application so definitely apply here if you're interested!

Over the last few years UCD has completely re-worked the incoming program there are peer-mentors and you get a "big-sibling" that gives you advice and stuff to help ease the transition etc. so it's definitely not like what it used to be!! I used to be the one-woman welcoming committee but like Asbkitty said you get your own buddy now haha ... and if you're interested in large animal medicine then Dublin is definitely a great option, they're a bit obsessive over here but in a really great way! If you want more details let me know :D
If you could tell me a little more about what you mean by they are a little obsessive, that would be great! Also how has the tuition changed over the last couple of years?