Applying very late, my chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hahahaaj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've put off everything til the last minute. Taking the OAT at the end of this month and applying wherever the deadlines have not already passed. Not too confident in how I will do on the OAT and in my application in general but even if I do decently what are my chances?! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in your boat. I was wondering if there were any more scraggellers out there !

My apps were paid for 2/12 but they still need to verify my transcripts.

Advice: pay for your programs as soon as possible because optomCAS will still need to verify things AFTER you pay for them that they do not look at prior to payment.

As for being later in the cycle: I had a friend apply to RSO in 2012 late in the cycle like we are and she was not too confident.. she did okay on her OAT and very poorly in physics. She got wait-listed but eventually got in for the year. Have faith and finish out those apps! Remember, as I am, that even if we don't get in this year, we already have a solid application started for the next cycle! (Make sure you print them or save them to your computer after you pay because all that information disappears when the optomCAS website closes)

Keep us updated and good luck! If anyone has anything to add about timing and how long certain things take, or late application success stories I bet we would all appreciate the benefit of the information.

I am in your boat. I was wondering if there were any more scraggellers out there !

My apps were paid for 2/12 but they still need to verify my transcripts.

Advice: pay for your programs as soon as possible because optomCAS will still need to verify things AFTER you pay for them that they do not look at prior to payment.

As for being later in the cycle: I had a friend apply to RSO in 2012 late in the cycle like we are and she was not too confident.. she did okay on her OAT and very poorly in physics. She got wait-listed but eventually got in for the year. Have faith and finish out those apps! Remember, as I am, that even if we don't get in this year, we already have a solid application started for the next cycle! (Make sure you print them or save them to your computer after you pay because all that information disappears when the optomCAS website closes)

Keep us updated and good luck! If anyone has anything to add about timing and how long certain things take, or late application success stories I bet we would all appreciate the benefit of the information.

I'm a late applicant too. Going to take the OAT in 3 weeks. Gonna submit soon. I'm calling some of the schools that the deadlines haven't passed yet this week to find out how full their class is. Hope it works out for all of us. If not I'll prepare for next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know what schools and how full they are when you find out please!

Just got my interview invite for UIWRSO today 2/18 for March 13! Hope you are doing well in your process

What were your stats ez on the eyes ? I just applied as well taking the oat March 20th kind of late I know but I just wanna be prepared any reply would relieve some of my anxiety

What were your stats ez on the eyes ? I just applied as well taking the oat March 20th kind of late I know but I just wanna be prepared any reply would relieve some of my anxiety
Well I can definitely give you some anxiety relief as far as the OAT goes... But I haven't been accepted anywhere yet so maybe not lol

Here are my stats
Degree in Biology
Cumulative GPA is 3.72 (... This is misleading bc it took me a long long time to complete my degree)
OAT AA 320
OAT TS 290
Extras. : shadowed 30 hrs total at 3 practices and am continuing on my 4th. Attended a billing and coding and technology clinic, worked fulltime as a certified trainer, tutored 100+ hours voluntarily and continue to peer edit papers for undergrad students.

I bombed physics ( so bad that it is unmentionable. ) but redeemed myself in Biology (370) and RC (390)

if you really want to stand out study your physics! This is where most applicants fall short.

If you hold a degree in Biology or are working toward a Biology degree then the Bio section may come easy to you ad well as the RC section.

Good luck and study hard! In the meantime make sure to fill out the supplemental app (RSOs is free)

Goodluck

And as always, keep us updated!!

I have mine feb 27th. I will let you know how it goes. Do you waiting on other school as well?

I'm in the same boat as well! Just submitted my apps today--to OSU and RSO. Taking OAT next month as well (third attempt -_-). Definitely study physics--all of it. Electricity, motion, kinematics, etc. It's all on the test. I remember seeing maybe two optics questions in the physics section. The new Kaplan book (2015--not the 5th edition) is pretty awesome. The first chapter breaks down the test for you. I've also watched Chad's videos. The 2015 Kaplan book is bigger than the previous book but I used the previous book before my second attempt at the OAT and my AA went from 270 to 300! Granted, I've been out of school for almost two years. TS was still no bueno. OChem will be the death of me. I've always hated it and never been great at it! :( Anyway, good luck to everyone!! Hoping for great news for all of you guys! :)

Well I can definitely give you some anxiety relief as far as the OAT goes... But I haven't been accepted anywhere yet so maybe not lol

Here are my stats
Degree in Biology
Cumulative GPA is 3.72 (... This is misleading bc it took me a long long time to complete my degree)
OAT AA 320
OAT TS 290
Extras. : shadowed 30 hrs total at 3 practices and am continuing on my 4th. Attended a billing and coding and technology clinic, worked fulltime as a certified trainer, tutored 100+ hours voluntarily and continue to peer edit papers for undergrad students.

I bombed physics ( so bad that it is unmentionable. ) but redeemed myself in Biology (370) and RC (390)

if you really want to stand out study your physics! This is where most applicants fall short.

If you hold a degree in Biology or are working toward a Biology degree then the Bio section may come easy to you ad well as the RC section.

Good luck and study hard! In the meantime make sure to fill out the supplemental app (RSOs is free)

Goodluck

And as always, keep us updated!!

For the certified tech, meaning you worked at an optometry office?

No not a certified tech :(
All that is meant by "certified trainer" is that I worked a leadership position at my job. Nothing cool like working at a practice I'm afraid :/

Just got my interview invite for UIWRSO today 2/18 for March 13! Hope you are doing well in your process

Thats awesome, thanks for the replies! Congrats on getting your interview invite and so soon after you submitted the app. How long did it take for optomcas to verify your transcripts etc? I only just submitted mine 3 business days ago

Although I have been invited to my first interview, my transcripts are STILL not verified. It has only been a little over two weeks though, I've read that it can take a while, others have had their transcripts verified very quickly though. I'm crossing my fingers that they will be verified by the time I go to my interview on the 13th.

What schools did you apply to btw?

and you took your OAT this month, right? How do you think that you did??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Although I have been invited to my first interview, my transcripts are STILL not verified. It has only been a little over two weeks though, I've read that it can take a while, others have had their transcripts verified very quickly though. I'm crossing my fingers that they will be verified by the time I go to my interview on the 13th.

What schools did you apply to btw?

and you took your OAT this month, right? How do you think that you did??

oh man I was hoping it would take LESS than 2 weeks because NECO's deadline is really soon. I just took my OAT on Friday and the unofficial score report they gave me right then said I did pretty well...I assume my official score report will show the same scores! haha!

I applied to 9 schools all over the place, basically whichever school that doesn't have a deadline that's passed...

Is the "deadline" when your application should be submitted to OptomCAS, or when it should be verified and received by the schools?

If you already submit and pay, you are fine.

i called NECO today....they still have available seats and are interviewing thru April.

Thats awesome, thanks for the replies! Congrats on getting your interview invite and so soon after you submitted the app. How long did it take for optomcas to verify your transcripts etc? I only just submitted mine 3 business days ago

update: My transcripts were verified today (3/4) and I paid for my apps. 2/12, so it took one day less than 3 weeks to get everything calculated. There are about 20 different GPAs they figure out, so I see now why it can take some time.

update: My transcripts were verified today (3/4) and I paid for my apps. 2/12, so it took one day less than 3 weeks to get everything calculated. There are about 20 different GPAs they figure out, so I see now why it can take some time.
Thanks for the update, I really appreciate it!! Congrats on finally getting verified, I wish it didn't take them so long...

Is the "deadline" when your application should be submitted to OptomCAS, or when it should be verified and received by the schools?

Pretty sure deadlines mean when your application/transcripts are verified and sent to the schools by CAS

Update- CAS verified my transcripts (I have 3 of them from diff schools) within about 8 business days. I've gotten 2 invitations to interview so far. My official OAT score report has not been sent out yet but I sent all the schools a scan of my unofficial score report. Aaaand I still have a bunch of supplements to complete (darn supplements).

Update- CAS verified my transcripts (I have 3 of them from diff schools) within about 8 business days. I've gotten 2 invitations to interview so far. My official OAT score report has not been sent out yet but I sent all the schools a scan of my unofficial score report. Aaaand I still have a bunch of supplements to complete (darn supplements).
Congrats.

Congrats! Wow that was quick. Do you mind if I ask you what stats you had and which schools invited you? Must be super high everything to get an invite within a week.

Just to give some hope out there to fellow late applicants:

I submitted my OptomCAS application during second week of February; it was not verified until first week of March. I applied to AZCOPT, NECO, PCO, & SUNY and have received interview invites from all schools within a week. For reference, I scored AA 360 / TS 360.

If anyone has interviews scheduled for those schools in mid/late March, PM me -- perhaps we'll see each other there!

Congrats! Wow that was quick. Do you mind if I ask you what stats you had and which schools invited you? Must be super high everything to get an invite within a week.

Hey, thanks! 340 AA/330 TS; low GPA (3.1-ish). Haven't done any supplements for any schools yet :( and invited so far by Salus and NECO)

Just submitted and paid my app this afternoon. Now the waiting game begins....GPA is not verified yet. So I'm guessing it'll be awhile. What I don't get is the deadline date...does that mean to submit and pay or have everything verified and sent to the school already? I'm asking because NECOs deadline is today. Good luck everyone!

Just submitted and paid my app this afternoon. Now the waiting game begins....GPA is not verified yet. So I'm guessing it'll be awhile. What I don't get is the deadline date...does that mean to submit and pay or have everything verified and sent to the school already? I'm asking because NECOs deadline is today. Good luck everyone!
I am not sure on the specifics of that question either, BUT I do know that schools have access to your application as soon as you pay regardless if your transcripts are processed or all of your letters are in. I was contacted by RSO and NSU very shortly after I paid for my apps and well before they were verified. RSO offered an interview prior to verification as well. It just depends on how your specific schools do things. Since your application is in, I would say that you met the deadline.

Yup they have access to the application after you pay but you should contact the schools admissions offices to clarify whether they need it to be verified first. I have been under the impression that they must be verified by their application deadline date. SUNY confirmed this fact for me but it might depend on the school

I was waitlisted at RSO. They said their class is almost full. I had interview with UHCO today and they hand me acceptance letter right away; which is amazing and surprising.

If you are applying to UHCO you can inbox me. I will tell you more detail about the interview and their admission process.

If you are applying to UHCO you can inbox me. I will tell you more detail about the interview and their admission process.

Can you share your UHCO interview experience with me! My interview is next week and I'm super nervous since UH is my top choice

Can you share your UHCO interview experience with me! My interview is next week and I'm super nervous since UH is my top choice
Super relaxing. Presentation, tour, lunch then interview. Hand out acceptant letter as the end.