Applying with a Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VivaLasVagus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew which medical schools would be best to apply to following a post-bacc program? For example, if I had an undergrad GPA of 3.0 and post-bacc one of 4.0, which medical schools would be "within the range" for my application? I know there's a host of other factors, but I'd just like an idea of how to narrow down the schools based on the GPA averages listed on MSAR.

Thank you, I've struggled to find the answer to this question online so I really appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't quote me on this but I believe that they treat Post-Bacc courses essentially the same as they do undergraduate ones. Your GPA will be calculated over the total number of courses you took (undergraduate and Post-Bacc) so its essentially like doing a 5th year of undergrad. So your GPA will get better, but we are talking like going from a 3.0 to a 3.1 or so.

I would look into some DO schools

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone knew which medical schools would be best to apply to following a post-bacc program? For example, if I had an undergrad GPA of 3.0 and post-bacc one of 4.0, which medical schools would be "within the range" for my application? I know there's a host of other factors, but I'd just like an idea of how to narrow down the schools based on the GPA averages listed on MSAR.

Thank you, I've struggled to find the answer to this question online so I really appreciate any help anyone can offer!

I'm curious about this question but with regards to an SMP. When looking at GPA's on MSAR how do you factor in your SMP GPA vs undergraduate GPA. Is it just a strait average of the two? Is one weighted more than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think SMP GPA is looked at separately from Undergrad GPA because an SMP involves working towards a graduate degree. So you will have an UG GPA and a Graduate GPA

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious about this question but with regards to an SMP. When looking at GPA's on MSAR how do you factor in your SMP GPA vs undergraduate GPA. Is it just a strait average of the two? Is one weighted more than the other?

Not an average of the two. the GPA numbers on MSAR are strictly undergrad numbers. However, SMP gpa will be reported as grad gpa (correct me if i'm wrong) but will be of more importance of adcoms since the courses in an smp are identical to those of a 1st year med student. This assumes that your undergrad gpa isn't too low like below a 3.0.

So if you're trying to target schools based on MSAR, I think you can go for schools whose gpa numbers are higher than your 3.0 if and only if you do super well in your smp (along with a good mcat).

Yup...postbacc goes into fixing your uGPA, SMP is its own separate deal (and is the only graduate GPA which very strongly compensates a low uGPA).

When they're looking at your app, though, it's broken down by year. So they see your freshman, sophomore, etc grades, and then they see an entry which says 'postbacc'. If that's a 4.0, it looks good, because that's your recent work, and you may have an explanation/story.

AACOMAS counts PB GPA together with UG GPA.

There ARE MD schools that value reinvention, especially when it's combined with an excellent (>33) MCAT scores and good ECs.
Examples are: Albany, Drexel, BU, Tufts, NYMC, Vanderbilt, Case, Tulane, U Miami, Wayne State (for MIers) SUNY Upstate (for NYers) and even Columbia (n=1). All DO value reinvention as well.
These are based upon posts in these forums, as well as PMs from people I'm advising.