Approaching intimidatingly good faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is more of an academic culture question than anything, but how do you get over anxiety about approaching really successful faculty, researchers, etc? For example, there's a professor in my department who is a rising star in her area, with early tenure, incredible success with grants, etc. She teaches a required class and so all the students are at least somewhat familiar with her. However, a lot of us who aren't her advisees are really intimidated about approaching her regarding consultation or collaboration, even when we have projects that could benefit from her expertise. It's not a personality issue--she seems really nice in class and mentions that she likes consulting with people about her area of expertise--but just that we're nervous about approaching someone who seems both incredibly good and incredibly busy. How do you approach someone like that without feeling like you're imposing?

Members don't see this ad.

E-mail them or stop by during office hours and share your interest. As faculty she may be busy, but a collaboration can be beneficial to all involved. Speaking from the faculty perspective, I prefer an e-mail because I can read it when I have some free time and responding is easier to track than a drop in. I think e-mail is a good way to intro and then maybe follow-up in person if there is interest. Just my 2 cents.

Schedule in advance, do your research, know what specifically you need from the person. It sounds like she's approachable, so don't sweat it ;)

Reactions: 1 users