Appropriate for Secondary App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eb123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the last year and a half a close family member of mine has struggled with bipolar disorder. The situation has greatly affected me, as I have devoted a significant amount of time in helping them. This includes visiting in psych units, getting them to appointments, consulting with their doctors/counselors, talking them through mania and depression, working with social security, the department of mental health, and helping them apply for disability for additional services. Through this journey I have encountered some pretty emotionally intense and stressful situations I had to help this family member work through.

Would this be appropriate to write about as a "greatest challenge" essay? If so, what are some strategies to frame the situation in a positive, character building light?

Second, could I use a description of this as an optional essay in secondaries? For example BU has an optional essay where they state: "some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance."

Other secondaries have space for an optional essay that touches on special circumstances in your life.

I chose not to write about this in my PS or anywhere else in my primary, as there have been other experiences that have motivated me to pursue medicine. Would submitting this type of essay as an optional response be warranted?

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

It sounds like a very challenging situation to be in, so it sounds like a good topic to me.

I would want to know about what you learned from working with this family member, and what aspects of your character have been strengthened by doing so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems appropriate to me in both situations. I would emphasize things that you may have taken away from the experience - what it's like to work with someone in the setting of healthcare, perhaps the difficulties associated with mental health specifically if you want to go that route, and how you addressed any challenges that came up through this experience.

I think this would make a very good "greatest challenge" essay (certainly better than anything I can come up with - I've had a somewhat privileged life...)

As long as you can articulate how this has contributed to your development as a person, it should be a good essay.

Another few questions:

1) Is it inappropriate to reveal my specific relationship with this family member (i.e. mother, brother, etc). I feel like this does influence the way I will write the essays because there is a big difference in this being a parent vs. a cousin or more distant relative

2) Will such essays reflect negatively on me in any way? Could medical schools be concerned about a genetic link in bipolar disorder or believe helping this family member might divert from my focus/success at a medical program?

Thanks!